The Famine's Over

ackbar:

The alleged full lyrics are not sung at the games. Those are an addendum to the song by opportunists in pubs and not completely relevant to the debate.

The song itself is a metaphor for Celtic FC's obsession with plastic paddyism and simply poking fun at that.

can I assume by those responses that you have read the full lyrics then. You may say that the full lyrics are irrelevant, I for one wouldnt sing a chorus of a song that had lyrics like attached to it, whether they are addendums or not.

If you chose to do so then fine, that is your opinion and you are welcome to it.

The full lyrics dismiss the "plastic paddy" defence, a term that I wouldnt recommend you use publicly for fear of further accusation.

Why cant we just sing about Rangers FC and our many achievements and honours?

The original song was about before the other lyrics were added to a version with minimal coverage anywhere and not sung at the games.

The plastic paddy defence is wholly valid and is extremely clear.

I agree in an ideal world songs about others shouldn't happen but football is football and rivalry will always be linked so songs will be part of that expression.

The issue here again is of hypocrisy. Once again Rangers supporters are under the spotlight while others are not.

can I assume by those responses that you have read the full lyrics then. You may say that the full lyrics are irrelevant, I for one wouldnt sing a chorus of a song that had lyrics like attached to it, whether they are addendums or not.

If you chose to do so then fine, that is your opinion and you are welcome to it.

The full lyrics dismiss the "plastic paddy" defence, a term that I wouldnt recommend you use publicly for fear of further accusation.

Someone has added an F.T.P. line into Follow follow. Should we stop singing that as well? How aboout Build my gallows. Someone made up a verse about Neil lennon. Does that mean we have to stop sining that although I have never heard that verse being sung at ANY game?

And to be correct, it's not the chorus we are singing. The "full lyrics" as you refer to them as, do not have "why don't you go home" repeated twice prior to the next line.

Why cant we just sing about Rangers FC and our many achievements and honours?

So we should not sing any songs about our rivals?

Someone on here once said the Man Utd version was:

We've won it 3 times, we've won it 3 times..

Without killing anyone...we've won it 3 times..

Im not sure how true that is and i can never make it out...but thats certainly more offensive to any Liverpool/Juventus fan who was involved at Heysel. And they would need to pulled up if we are being singled out.

I am actually fuming about this

As each day goes on i am thinking, 1 Scotland, many cultures except protestantism.

They are singing songs about a terrorist organisation every single week, play Irish republican songs loud over the tannoys at games etc etc.

One of their songs is about the IRA killing Novo with a bullet, i am offended by this ! Everyone get mailing the Spanish embasy situated in the UK to tell them that a certain Nacho Novo life is in danger with this song.

If they are offended by stupid wee things they should all go home, simple as that.

The famine is indeed over, so get to fuck

The original song was about before the other lyrics were added to a version with minimal coverage anywhere and not sung at the games.

The plastic paddy defence is wholly valid and is extremely clear.

I agree in an ideal world songs about others shouldn't happen but football is football and rivalry will always be linked so songs will be part of that expression.

The issue here again is of hypocrisy. Once again Rangers supporters are under the spotlight while others are not.

the plastic paddy defence was lost as soon as someone was as stupid enough to write the entire song. As soon as you have a song that has lyrics attached to it that stare "from Ireland they came" then you totally lose any "banter" defence related to this being about Scots who are more Irish than they are Scottish

Bluedell the songs you list are irrelevant. They are benign and ambivalent in their own right.

Regardless of the fact that these extra lyrics were added at a later date, this song trivialises the death of millions in order to poke fun at out rivals.

the issue of hypocrisy also doesnt wash with me Frankie. The "they are as bad as us" angle only admits that we are doing things wrong. they have their songs that glorify terrorists, we have a song that initially pokes fun at a mindset but has undertones of xenophobia that have been turned into racism due to the additional lyrics.

We should get our house in order before pointing fingers at anyone else. We need to move forward and so do they, we are targetted first because our songs are construed to be racist and sectarian and are therefore more newsworthy in the eyes of many. once UEFA and FIFA move on from the main aim which is bigotry they will move on to the political affiliation of supports like Celtics.

we all know that there songs are based on religious hatred, unfortunatley there is nothing in those little ditties that clearly states this and therefore they will be targetted once the powers that be move on from the anti racism/sectarianism drive.

Unfortunatley we will have to get our own house in order before we will get any response on their songs of hate

this song trivialises the death of millions in order to poke fun at out rivals.

You are talking about a song that is not sung at games. That is the bottom line. I'll repeat that we can't get criticised for what we don't sing.

What is sung at games does not trivialise the death of millions, no matter how much celtic fans want to believe it does.

They play their songs about the famine over the tannoy, and the chant is a reaction to that amongst other things.