The Famine's Over

Statement from Bain on the subject;

IN view of the widespread publicity last night and today regarding Rangers supporters singing the chorus of 'The Famine Song' at matches, the Club believes it right to update supporters and clarify the Club's position.

Prior to our first home match of the season against Hearts, Strathclyde Police informed the Club that, following consultation with the Procurators' Fiscal service, the police were of the view that anyone singing this song risked being arrested and charged with a racial breach of the peace.

The Club passed on this information to supporters' representatives. The Club also approached the police following the recent Old Firm match over a number of issues including violent threats to our staff and fans. The issue of The Famine Song was raised again by the Club and consideration was given to a joint public statement being made to advise supporters that singing 'The Famine Song' would put them at risk of arrest as we had been informed.

The police would not commit to a public statement without further investigation. It is apparent however that the threat of arrest remains.

The club is duty bound to inform supporters they may be subject to arrest as clearly it is in no-one's interests for that to happen. The Club would be utterly irresponsible if it did not advise supporters accordingly.

Clearly some supporters feel aggrieved that a song they believe to be no more than a tit for tat 'wind up' of Celtic supporters should be singled out in this way and merit the attention of police, governments and anti-racism organisations. In recent times, the absence of sanction or attention directed at any other club supports the contention that this is very much a one-way street. This is despite the best efforts of this Club to highlight such issues in constructive discussion with the relevant authorities.

The Club shares supporters' frustration that offensive and wholly unacceptable songs such as those 'celebrating' the Ibrox disasters or inciting death threats to our players are sung by supporters of other clubs on a regular basis with little or no comment or reprimand from any quarter.

The Club also believes that the issue of unacceptable conduct and anti-social behaviour at football matches has at times been used by individuals or groups to pursue their own agendas and there have been instances of this in the recent past.

That said, the Club has a duty to ensure the interests of our supporters are protected. It is not in the interests of any supporter to stand accused of racism or sectarianism or face the prospect of being arrested.

That is why the Club took the view that the interests of our supporters would be best served by refraining from singing The Famine Song.

The Club is wholly committed to acting in the interests of our supporters at all times.

We also remain committed to our long-established policy of not condoning any sectarian, racist or anti-social behaviour.

MARTIN BAIN, Chief Executive

Guest grangers
A well balanced response from the club. It's good to see them making their position more clear for a change. Regardless of our opinions, it would appear to be in everyone's best interest to heed their warning.

The cops should be made to clarify their situation on this.

There's been a big enough stink made today and a statment regarding it should be made by Strathclyde's finest, sitting on the fence is not good enough.

Good statement, and along the similar lines of my views on the issue. We cannot control what you are likely to get arrested for.

The way it is being portrayed in the media to the masses as an anti-irish immigrant song makes it difficult to defend without them understanding the context of the joke, that is why i think we should back down on this particular song. Its a difficult battle to win given the misrepresentation we currently face in the media, and by giving ourselves more time we can implement the change that bain appears to be fighting for from that statement.

The attitude of many fans doing something because we've been told not to is worrying. That is not dismissing anyones right to sing any song or saying we should do what we are told, but be smart about it.

going back to the billy boys... do people think it is ok to sing about being up knee's in anyones blood? be it arab blood, city blood or ****** blood... imagine someone shouting at you in the street about walking in your blood? not very appropriate in my opinion.

Yes fight for rights of freedom of speech, but please do so wisely. Do not try and justify the unjustifiable, or fight the corner of a song that is contentious when taken out of context (which we all knew would happen!)

We should be focusing on why it is just rangers that are getting persecuted and not the Aberdeens, hearts, hibs and most bizarrely celtics of this country.

well done bain (did i just say that?!) and keep going till we cut the bastards with their own sword! :thup:

The cops should be made to clarify their situation on this.

There's been a big enough stink made today and a statment regarding it should be made by Strathclyde's finest, sitting on the fence is not good enough.

The police's view appears quite clear. They believe that they can arrest someone for singing it, but they will refuse to make any public comment about it, probably because they would then have to go down a dangerous route (from their viewpoint) of having then to comment on everything.

Good statement, and along the similar lines of my views on the issue. We cannot control what you are likely to get arrested for.

The way it is being portrayed in the media to the masses as an anti-irish immigrant song makes it difficult to defend without them understanding the context of the joke, that is why i think we should back down on this particular song. Its a difficult battle to win given the misrepresentation we currently face in the media, and by giving ourselves more time we can implement the change that bain appears to be fighting for from that statement.

The attitude of many fans doing something because we've been told not to is worrying. That is not dismissing anyones right to sing any song or saying we should do what we are told, but be smart about it.

going back to the billy boys... do people think it is ok to sing about being up knee's in anyones blood? be it arab blood, city blood or ****** blood... imagine someone shouting at you in the street about walking in your blood? not very appropriate in my opinion.

Yes fight for rights of freedom of speech, but please do so wisely. Do not try and justify the unjustifiable, or fight the corner of a song that is contentious when taken out of context (which we all knew would happen!)

We should be focusing on why it is just rangers that are getting persecuted and not the Aberdeens, hearts, hibs and most bizarrely celtics of this country.

well done bain (did i just say that?!) and keep going till we cut the bastards with their own sword! :thup:

Surely your not advocating the drawing of blood or the use of offensive weapons? I'm really surprised to read this kind of violence being promoted on a Rangers fans' website. Times have changed and there can be no place for caveman tactics like this among Rangers supporters.

Surely your not advocating the drawing of blood or the use of offensive weapons? I'm really surprised to read this kind of violence being promoted on a Rangers fans' website. Times have changed and there can be no place for caveman tactics like this among Rangers supporters.

:devil: of course I am!! :P

The only issue I have with the otherwise excellent and positive statement from the club, via Mr Bain, is what the club are doing to highlight the onesided reporting of offensive songs?

This is where we the fans and the club are failling, we are not exposing the sectarian, racist and offensive songs that are sung the length and breadth of the country on a weekly basis. Until we do, we will be seen as Scotlands problem, a statement that is as rediculous as it is false.

WE MUST RE-DRESS THE BALLANCE

Cammy F