The Famine's Over

johnnyk here's a question to ponder, why haven't Celtic complained or made a statement?

They know a can of worms may be opening here.

Too true m8, they are not daft.......

Is every single song going to be scrutinised now or just our songs?

It's a joke and our club just say OK we'll tell the fans to stop singing it but everyone else can still sing what they like.........

Is every single song going to be scrutinised now or just our songs?

Quite clearly, it is just OUR songs - as stated above, the MOPES were at their IRA loving best on Saturday yet not a peep on the radio, TV, or even a single line in the printed media.

Even at our game on Saturday, the Killie fans indulged in 2 sectarian songs - No Huns In Europe and Go Home Ya Huns - again, not a peep in the media.

Sectarianism in Scotland is a one way street.

Cammy F

Sectarianism in Scotland is a one way street.

Correct. A quote from yesterday's Scotland on Sunday.

"We should be calling this for what it is: it isn't sectarianism, it is anti-Catholicism." Professor Tom Devine

Tom Devine is one of Jack McConnell's advisers.

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/opinion/The-Shame-Game.4489953.jp

If someone wrote to the Irish Embassy regarding the songs they sing would they bring this up and ask Celtic to stop singing them or is it OK to freely sing about the IRA and FTQ etc?

Rangers should be ashamed bowing to this but our club has had no leader at the helm for years...........

Serious point here - write to the Irish Embassy either as a football supporter or "concerned Celtic fan" regarding the pro IRA songs sung every week by the scum and how they're not only disgusting but also painting a terrible picture of the ROI to onlookers.

The response you get may be quite interesting after today's news.

This may not go down too well, but I always had reservations about the song. Debate the rights and wrongs of it all you like, the fact is that we should be keeping our nose clean and away from controversy.

Is the song about Rangers? No. The way its been portrayed in the media is very one-sided. How they can call the song SECTARIAN is beggars belief. Racist? perhaps. Offensive? to genuine Irish probably. Sectarian? well its big bad rangers singing about celtic fans so it must be!

That is my main gripe with the issue. Telling fans of a scottish club who pretend to be irish and revel in flying a foreign flag (not just the fans, I have seen the tricolour atop of their stand when attending an OF) to go back to ireland seems rather logical if they love the place so much. It is also kind to inform them that they are NOT at risk of dying like millions that lost their lives in previous generations.

The fuss and the media attention around the song: unfair yet predictable. Rangers fans singing it: unecessary. The screening of only rangers fans songs: inexcusible.

Guest grangers
This may not go down too well, but I always had reservations about the song. Debate the rights and wrongs of it all you like, the fact is that we should be keeping our nose clean and away from controversy.

Is the song about Rangers? No. The way its been portrayed in the media is very one-sided. How they can call the song SECTARIAN is beggars belief. Racist? perhaps. Offensive? to genuine Irish probably. Sectarian? well its big bad rangers singing about celtic fans so it must be!

That is my main gripe with the issue. Telling fans of a scottish club who pretend to be irish and revel in flying a foreign flag (not just the fans, I have seen the tricolour atop of their stand when attending an OF) to go back to ireland seems rather logical if they love the place so much. It is also kind to inform them that they are NOT at risk of dying like millions that lost their lives in previous generations.

The fuss and the media attention around the song: unfair yet predictable. Rangers fans singing it: unecessary. The screening of only rangers fans songs: inexcusible.

We should just roll over then ?, beginning of the end if we do, actually the beginning of the end has already passed with our first capitulation.

Unnecessary yes, Illegal no and as such should be defended to the hilt.

The fuss and the media attention around the song: unfair yet predictable. Rangers fans singing it: unecessary. The screening of only rangers fans

songs: inexcusable.

Totally agree, the song is not necessary and only gives reason for the mob to attack. I also seem to remember, that prick McGhee saying "If we go to Dublin" was sectarian.

We should just roll over then ?, beginning of the end if we do, actually the beginning of the end has already passed with our first capitulation.

Unnecessary yes, Illegal no and as such should be defended to the hilt.

It's not a case of 'rolling over', it's more a case of picking your battles. In this case we're standing on very loose ground.

I think the whole mentality of "No one likes us; we don't care" has evolved into something much more sinister... for example, some idiots saw police lining up (possibly looking for a fight) in Manchester and met aggression with aggression.

To me your kind of argument is as daft as those not wanting tighter controls on guns in america... "its against the constitution" - which was written hundreds of years ago!! It's blatantly being abused in todays gang culture and other such environments.

Just because it isn't illegal doesn't make it commendable, or palatable. I am regretting the seriousness of my tone in this argument as I believe it is a song based in banter and pokes fun at the plastic paddies in the c*lt*c support, and sadly Rangers fans are no longer allowed any banter these days.

Still it is an irrelevant song and defending it just because it technically doesn't break any law is absurd. Defending a song like "Hullo Hullo we are the RANGERS boys" would be a far more appropriate course of action...

Agree with Andrew.