Now Walter wields the b-word

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.2461710.0.Rangers_manager_hits_out_at_web_comments.php

What is it with people who need to attack their own? And when exactly did he stop being one of us, he certainly used to be exactly what he is now (being) compelled to condemn.

Don't you just hate people who choose to turn their back on their friends?

There is a part of me that thinks that the club do want to rid themselves of the sectarian element (and there IS an element) but that in doing so they go far too far at being P.C. on the subject.

What they seem to fail to realise is that by "condemning" these supporters they provide a rod to the media to ensure we are cast as the worst of the 2 OF clubs.

Contrast and compare - Celtic say nothing at all about their problems unless there is positive spin on it (maybe that is due to Reid being a politician). Look at their AGM - they say that the fans are self-policing, very small minority but that they get all these wonderful awards for having great fans. They say it is a very very small problem and then highlight the positive.

On the other hand, we show the negative and ignore the positive - in the last 3 years there is NO DOUBT in my mind that WE have done a far superior job than them in eradicating the sectarian element from our repertoire - yet the powers that be are allowing lies and deflection to have us pinpointed as the bigots.

Another instance of lack of spine at the top.

We all want rid of blatant sectarianism and no one has done more to reduce this than the fans themselves, certainly not Murray or Smith. Why they seem intent on condemning everyone they cannot control is beyond me.

The gulf between club and supporters is huge and getting wider every day. In the main, Murray has to bear responsibility for this and his lack of leadership continues to divide us.

I think they need to be more specific when they refer to 'internet bigots". They should be identifying sites and naming and shaming them, not tarring us all with the same brush.

I agree that that is a huge miscalculation. I'm sure there are plenty of bigots on some forums but I'm even more sure that by far the majority are pretty decent. To hit out at fans and slander the majority for simply communicating with other is ludicrous and only serves to alienate a huge number of good fans who feel totally insulted.

Not only that the comments seem incredibly ignorant and lacking any understanding of the medium and what the fans are actually saying, chanting or singing.

The powers at be at Ibrox seem to have no finger on the pulse and come across as not only a bit dim but totally out of touch, and lacking any interest or sensitivity to where the fans are coming from.

Comments like Walters really need to be highly qualified instead of woolly demonising of clich�©d buzz words presented to them with prejudiced views by the gutter press.

I always believe that you cannot criticise anyone unless you have some understanding of what they are actually doing and what their motivations really are.

I used to think WS was a wise man, but now he appears like an old sheep who believes whatever propaganda is put in front of him.

The club should be fighting against sectarianism but patronising lip service is never going to work and only going to wind up the decent fans and even more so the less enlightened who verge on casual bigotry.

I agree that that is a huge miscalculation. I'm sure there are plenty of bigots on some forums but I'm even more sure that by far the majority are pretty decent. To hit out at fans and slander the majority for simply communicating with other is ludicrous and only serves to alienate a huge number of good fans who feel totally insulted.

Not only that the comments seem incredibly ignorant and lacking any understanding of the medium and what the fans are actually saying, chanting or singing.

The powers at be at Ibrox seem to have no finger on the pulse and come across as not only a bit dim but totally out of touch, and lacking any interest or sensitivity to where the fans are coming from.

Comments like Walters really need to be highly qualified instead of woolly demonising of clich�©d buzz words presented to them with prejudiced views by the gutter press.

I always believe that you cannot criticise anyone unless you have some understanding of what they are actually doing and what their motivations really are.

I used to think WS was a wise man, but now he appears like an old sheep who believes whatever propaganda is put in front of him.

The club should be fighting against sectarianism but patronising lip service is never going to work and only going to wind up the decent fans and even more so the less enlightened who verge on casual bigotry.

I'm indebted to you for a remarkably incisive post that says eveything I wanted to say - but much better.

There is even a case to be made that Walter is actually indulging in precisely the sort of arms length criticism that he now appears to find fault with.

Not trying to disagree strongly with the above comments, but I want to just add 2 things - 1, Smith is old, we all know how our older relatives can blow experiences with the internet out of proportion, i.e. their internet world revolves around the few sites they browse, and they don't have as broad a perspective as people only 10 years younger.

2, There are still more than a few fan sites and youtube videos with what I hope anyone affected by basic Judeo-Christian morality would call 'bile.' Yes, there's a lot of bigotted Celtic material out there too. But Billy Boys lyrics, etc., aren't doing us favors in the PR department.

Let me just reiterate that I'm not saying Smith is right with that statement, or that we're really all bigots or something because we're on Rangers forums, I'm just saying I can see how someone his age could come out with a perspective (or loss of perspective) like this.

That said, well done to the 92 or so percent of supporters whose posts, posted files, and webspace does justice to our club.

BP

i reckon we should start some petition and send it to rangers.

the aforementioned are internet-fans-who-arent-bigots-and-dont-appreciate-being-tarnished-by-ill-informed-generalisations-thankyouverymuch.

having said that, bluepool makes a good point. we're asking to be understood charitably while taking walter smith as uncharitably as we can.