SFA vows to tackle 'Famine song'

Guest Jum Spence

Decent point but it shouldn't be a journalist pointing this out (although Traynor already has) but SDM and Martin Bain.

They did a few weeks ago but obviously their point wasn't strong enough.

Aye it was a fairly weak response from the club. Instead of actually defending the fans or saying something with a bit more weight behind it they just sort of meakly accepted that we couldn't really be arrested for the songs and that was about it.

Fair play to Roy Keane after the Sunderland-Newcastle game where he was aked about fan conduct and jus said something along the lines of "if you think i'm going to criticise Sunderland fans you're wrong". :(

Ps What has Traynor said? Always thought he was one of the worst.

I just emailed the SFA complaining about the inequality of their administration. Futile effort but it bugs the shit out of me having to listen to the "righteous" thinking we are the only culprits (and even in that regard I dont think that the famine song is sectarian, as sung by Rangers fans).

A farce of the highest order.

Recently, we have had a plague of self appointed, combined judge, jury and executioners swarming out of the woodwork; interpreting anything any way they like without attempting to understand or even find out what it's all about from the alleged perpetrators. Rangers fans have become victims of a kangaroo court mentality which is being endorsed by several institutional bodies.

There is not ONE example of where anyone in the SFA, SPL, police or even media (who are supposed to be impartial) has actually tackled the question of whether the song can be 100% genuinely and justifiably considered sectarian, racist or offensive in any way. It seems to me they hear the word, "famine" directed at Celtic fans and therefore the giant leap to that conclusion is instantly taken for granted.

Surely there HAS to be a debate, even a fair trial for the song, before condemnation and punishment meted out? Surely the accused must have the right to reply, to defend themselves, explain their actions and of course present the INTENDED semantics. Surely the song's deliberately deep irony needs to first be properly understood by the accusers?

Not only that, in a country where we are supposedly innocent until proven guilty, surely the burden of proof is on the finger pointers to show without doubt that the words, "The famine is over: why don't you go home?" is in any way racist or sectarian.

A sentence like that is too subtle to instantly condemn as you could interpret any lines of a football song in a similar way - taking a leap of metaphors and implications, while putting your own paranoid agenda to twist the interpretation.

It seems that outside of Govan, fans can sing anything they like with impunity, including massively extensive usage of derogatory terms for a religion and anyone connected to it, such as "Huns" and "Dirty Orange Bastards," as well as terrorist, death songs against certain players.

Meanwhile there is obviously a concerted and unrelenting witch hunt against Rangers fans. Why is it considered so criminal to simply refer to the famine in a song, but absolutely fine to actually maliciously celebrate the Ibrox disaster?

I do think the famine song is not the best way to go about winding up opposition fans - especially those that are prone to hysterics, paranoia and a crescendo of mock outrage when even lightly jibed. The immense momentum of the unfathomable farce that it has created, should really have been foreseen...

I think Rangers fans are naive about the tainted window they are currently viewed through, due to relentless propaganda from Parkhead way. Everything is twisted and magnified to disfigure the image of Rangers fans as that of sectarian, racist bigots.

If you're going to call Celtic fans "Plastic Paddies", Gers fans have to realise they can't be subtle, witty or clever, as it's inevitably just going to backfire. Although, it is starting to look like they will need now a top lawer to reword any new song, so that it can't possibly be misinterpreted...

The biggest problem that the authorities have to realise, and the reason why attempts to get the fans to stop singing the song are in vain, is that Rangers fans KNOW they are not being sectarian, racist or bigoted; they KNOW that they are doing nothing wrong; they feel patronised, persecuted and insulted - and that only makes them extremely defiant.

Surely it is just plain wrong attempt to control a large group of people's behaviour in a democracy by adopting a typically fascist attitude, where justice as we know it, is highly conspicuous by its absence?

That Traynor article is excellent and the first time in ages I've seen a reporter have the balls to speak out against the tide with words that are nothing but an intelligent, common sense view of the situation.

It shows that at least there is someone out there in the media who isn't completely brain dead. I expect a diametrically opposed piece from Spiers where Rangers fans are responsible for all evil in the world and add the Credit Crunch for good measure.

Cheers. :) You can put it on the main site if you think it's appropriate...

Barry and I have a couple of similar articles for publish later in the week. I think yours will fit in nicely as well.

:)

The biggest problem that the authorities have to realise, and the reason why attempts to get the fans to stop singing the song are in vain, is that Rangers fans KNOW they are not being sectarian, racist or bigoted; they KNOW that they are doing nothing wrong; they feel patronised, persecuted and insulted - and that only makes them extremely defiant.

That needs to be empahsised at every opportunity until people start to get it.