SFA vows to tackle 'Famine song'

Guest Jum Spence

Recently, we have had a plague of self appointed, combined judge, jury and executioners swarming out of the woodwork; interpreting anything any way they like without attempting to understand or even find out what it's all about from the alleged perpetrators. Rangers fans have become victims of a kangaroo court mentality which is being endorsed by several institutional bodies.

There is not ONE example of where anyone in the SFA, SPL, police or even media (who are supposed to be impartial) has actually tackled the question of whether the song can be 100% genuinely and justifiably considered sectarian, racist or offensive in any way. It seems to me they hear the word, "famine" directed at Celtic fans and therefore the giant leap to that conclusion is instantly taken for granted.

Surely there HAS to be a debate, even a fair trial for the song, before condemnation and punishment meted out? Surely the accused must have the right to reply, to defend themselves, explain their actions and of course present the INTENDED semantics. Surely the song's deliberately deep irony needs to first be properly understood by the accusers?

Not only that, in a country where we are supposedly innocent until proven guilty, surely the burden of proof is on the finger pointers to show without doubt that the words, "The famine is over: why don't you go home?" is in any way racist or sectarian.

A sentence like that is too subtle to instantly condemn as you could interpret any lines of a football song in a similar way - taking a leap of metaphors and implications, while putting your own paranoid agenda to twist the interpretation.

It seems that outside of Govan, fans can sing anything they like with impunity, including massively extensive usage of derogatory terms for a religion and anyone connected to it, such as "Huns" and "Dirty Orange Bastards," as well as terrorist, death songs against certain players.

Meanwhile there is obviously a concerted and unrelenting witch hunt against Rangers fans. Why is it considered so criminal to simply refer to the famine in a song, but absolutely fine to actually maliciously celebrate the Ibrox disaster?

I do think the famine song is not the best way to go about winding up opposition fans - especially those that are prone to hysterics, paranoia and a crescendo of mock outrage when even lightly jibed. The immense momentum of the unfathomable farce that it has created, should really have been foreseen...

I think Rangers fans are naive about the tainted window they are currently viewed through, due to relentless propaganda from Parkhead way. Everything is twisted and magnified to disfigure the image of Rangers fans as that of sectarian, racist bigots.

If you're going to call Celtic fans "Plastic Paddies", Gers fans have to realise they can't be subtle, witty or clever, as it's inevitably just going to backfire. Although, it is starting to look like they will need now a top lawer to reword any new song, so that it can't possibly be misinterpreted...

The biggest problem that the authorities have to realise, and the reason why attempts to get the fans to stop singing the song are in vain, is that Rangers fans KNOW they are not being sectarian, racist or bigoted; they KNOW that they are doing nothing wrong; they feel patronised, persecuted and insulted - and that only makes them extremely defiant.

Surely it is just plain wrong attempt to control a large group of people's behaviour in a democracy by adopting a typically fascist attitude, where justice as we know it, is highly conspicuous by its absence?

Very similar in substance to what I emailed to the SFA this morning.

Cheers for that Frankie.

Traynor has written a lot of defamatory crap over the years and I have criticised him then, so credit where it is due, he appears to be the only journalist or politician in the entire country who is utilising any common sense. Instead of doing the easy thing and jumping on the anti-Rangers band wagon, he is telling it like it is.

What is this mock offence all about. When and why did politicians and Journo's believe they had to start taking the fun out of the game and out of the terraces.

Also got to say Calscot's post is fantastic. Sums up all my frustrations and the ridiculousness of the position of those with the power to influence public opinion. Couldn't have written my own thoughts down any better than Calscot has managed.

Obviously the decision is yours Frankie, but I would definitely post it as a main site article to try and gain a greater exposure to the common sense opinion on this idiotic crusade.

Edited by Super_Ally
Mongness

frankie and i have written pieces on this, with emphasis o in slightly different aspects of the insanity. calscot has said it here too - i would leave it up to frankie about how best to present it all, but personally i've gotten sick of it - what an utter farce in every sense. petty horrid country.

Excellent piece Cal, that was a brilliant article to read. Also enjoyed the Traynor article. Not often someone will actually speak up for us and dare mention celtic in anything other than a good light!

Edited by jonc127

frankie and i have written pieces on this, with emphasis o in slightly different aspects of the insanity. calscot has said it here too - i would leave it up to frankie about how best to present it all, but personally i've gotten sick of it - what an utter farce in every sense. petty horrid country.

Also sick to the back teeth of it.

Unfortunately we can't sit back and allow these people to sirect the show.

Articles will be going up over the next few days.

Cal's tonight, mine tomorrow night and yours on Friday to conclude and show the madness up for what it is.

:)