By Andrew Dickson

KYLE LAFFERTY has told Walter Smith he would love a chance to prove himself up front in this weekend's SPL clash with Hearts.

The former Burnley youngster moved into the forward line in the latter stages of Saturday's 2-0 win over Aberdeen in Kris Boyd's place.

Kyle Lafferty, RangersIt was a role he was comfortable with and one which he has been earmarked for in the long-term, despite being used largely on the left side of midfield at present.

Kenny Miller is struggling to be fit for the trip to Tynecastle and while Boyd should be able to play, he is also getting over a minor knock sustained against the Dons.

That could present an opening in attack and Lafferty, who plays there for Northern Ireland, would love an opportunity as a striker.

The 21-year-old said: "It would be nice to be involved after playing 90 minutes the other day and hopefully I'll get another game.

"I was out on the right for a while against Aberdeen and while it was only the third or fourth time I'd played there, I don't mind where I appear.

"With that said, I think people probably saw when I moved up front later on in the game that I was a bit happier.

"If I don't get starting up front, hopefully I'll get a game on the wing but it would be great to be used as a striker.

"Every place in the team is up for grabs and that includes the forward positions. It would be nice to think I did enough at the weekend to merit staying there.Kyle Lafferty celebrates with Andrius Velicka and Sasa Papac

"I think people caught a glimpse of what I can do up there and I'd love to show them lots more of the same."

Lafferty is looking forward to Saturday's trip to Edinburgh after he scored his first Rangers goal against Hearts back in August.

The strike, which opened the scoring in a 2-0 win, is one he still looks back on with some fondness.

Lafferty added: "Hopefully we can get three points again like we did that day although it will be tough because Hearts came to Ibrox and gave us a hard game.

"From my own point of view, it was great to score my first goal that day and especially because it came at home.

"Any time we play Hearts, I'm sure I'll remember that moment and this weekend will definitely bring back good memories."

Miller will be a miss again for the Hearts game. But we need to be physical and fast against them.

I wonder if WS will tempt with Velicka against his former team seen as he is back playing again.

But i think Smith will opt with Boyd and Darcheville. Which is a huge test for Boyd!!! He has been scoring and playing well recently. This is one of our tougher matches on paper!

These are the games we need to win to bring the title back and if Boyd can get the goals in these type games then I will shut up about him not being good enough over a season!!!

As far as I'm concerned Lafferty looks a decent player when moved further forward.

Whenever he has to play deeper, he tries hard enough, but he's simply not effective in such a role.

That's why we have midfielders to play midfield and forwards to play up front.

Many expensive players have not made an impact in their first season for a club, probably due to injury, lack of fitness, not getting up to form with their new team-mates, understanding with new team mates, fitting into the club, and just settling in to a new home and city.

Hateley and Amorusso are obvious examples and there are many others.

Many expensive players have not made an impact in their first season for a club, probably due to injury, lack of fitness, not getting up to form with their new team-mates, understanding with new team mates, fitting into the club, and just settling in to a new home and city.

Hateley and Amorusso are obvious examples and there are many others.

On top of all that you have the rather obvious drawback of not being played in your preferred position.

Has Lafferty got the pace and mobility to trouble teams like Miller does? Partnering him with Boyd up front is asking for trouble. We all know Boyd isn't the most mobile of strikers, so to have two of them sounds tactically naive to me.

I'd play the wee man (Novo) up top with Boyd.

Has Lafferty got the pace and mobility to trouble teams like Miller does? Partnering him with Boyd up front is asking for trouble. We all know Boyd isn't the most mobile of strikers, so to have two of them sounds tactically naive to me.

I'd play the wee man (Novo) up top with Boyd.

Agreed. I didnt see much pace in Lafferty in the games i watched.

I like Novo and would have him in the team somewhere. With Boyd being more mobile these days i can see Novo playing off him quite well - not nearly as well as he did with Prso though.