Naismith Makes Comeback and Scores in 3-1 Win

RANGERS star Stevie Naismith will today make a stunning return from injury - six months earlier than his original comeback date.

Record Sport can reveal the 22-year-old will this afternoon play at least 30 minutes of a reserve match against St Mirren at Murray Park.

Naismith snapped his cruciate ligament in April's Scottish Cup semi-final against St Johnstone and was warned a couple of weeks later to expect a year on the sidelines.

And even when he began to make fantastic progress in his rehab, manager Walter Smith did not think the former Kilmarnock forward would be anywhere near a return to match action until the New Year at the earliest.

But Rangers medics and coaching staff have been amazed by Naismith's progress and also full of admiration for the way he has never missed a day's work in his bid to get back to full fitness over the past eight months.

And while he may still be a bit away from playing for the first team, this reserve outing is a step in the former Young Player of the Year being back in the side again this season.

Naismith had to watch from the stands as Rangers played in the UEFA Cup Final and then underwent career-saving surgery from English surgeon Dr Steve Bolan a week later.

The prognosis then was he would be looking at 12 months before he could play again but he fully dedicated himself to getting back to his best quicker than anyone expected.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/2008/12/09/exclusive-stevie-naismith-set-for-early-rangers-return-86908-20957359/

I thought he got injured earlier than April. :eek:

Hopefully he's not coming back to quickly. We make a habit of bringing players back before their injury has totally healed/cured just for them to sustain the same injury.

Take your time Naisy.

STEVEN NAISMITH marked his long-awaited return to action with a well taken goal on the stroke of half-time as Rangers Reserves beat St. Mirren 3-1 at Murray Park this afternoon.

The 22-year-old forward had not pulled on a Light Blue jersey since April due to cruciate damage but looked sharp and fit throughout his 73 minute run-out on the left side of midfield.

Steven NaismithWalter Smith and Ally McCoist watched the action from their office balcony on a bitterly cold afternoon in Auchenhowie and the management team must have been delighted with Naisy's contribution and goal.

Chris Burke cut inside from the right flank and played a delightful through pass to his on-rushing teammate.

Steven controlled the ball with his chest and used his strength to hold off Saints defender Marc McAusland before beating keeper Chris Smith with a composed finish.

The club's �£2million signing was clearly delighted to be back in action and insists his knee felt strong after today's hard fought clash.

He said: "It's great to be back involved again.

"I have played a few bounce games in training but today's match was competitive and I enjoyed it.

"I have been in the gym for so long now that being out on the pitch with the boys is great.

"Getting the goal was obviously a big bonus but I have to remember it was only my first game back.

"We will wait and see how my knee has reacted in the morning and we will take it from there.

"That was the last Reserve game of the year so hopefully a couple of bounce games can be organised and that I can be involved in them also."Steven Naismith in action against St Mirren Reserves

Rangers had not won a match at home going in to today's league fixture against third place Saints but Tommy Wilson's side dominated throughout and showed their intent from referee Greg Aitken's first whistle.

After only four minutes Burke fed the ball to Rory Loy but the striker's right foot shot was well saved by Smith at his near post.

The striker, however, made no mistake moments later when Charlie Adam, who was excellent on the day, won the ball with a terrific tackle in the heart of midfield before picking out Loy with a raking pass over the Saints' static defence.

The young striker had time to look up before picking his spot for his ninth goal in eleven Reserve appearances.

The visitor's had to wait until the 26th minute for their first real effort on goal when first-team forward Billy Mehmet tried his luck from 25 yards but the ball took a nick of Lee McCulloch's boot and went a foot over Lee Robinson's goal.

Stevie SmithAgainst the run of play the Paisley side then equalised on 39 minutes through former Ger Tom Brighton.

Mo Edu was dispossessed in the middle of the park and when Mehmet slipped the ball to his strike partner he made no mistake with a low finish across Robinson.

The first-half looked to be finishing level until Burke's vision allowed Naismith to score and it was a great moment for the young Scot who showed a glimpse of his undoubted quality.

Rangers once again bossed the game after the interval with Burke a constant threat on the right while Steven Smith and Jordan McMillan, playing a left and right-back respectively, were impressive.

Kyle Lafferty joined the action in the second-half as a replacement for the industrious Loy and he had a hand in Rangers third goal on 75 minutes.

Adam again won a crunching challenge before finding the Northern Ireland star who struck a powerful right foot shot across goal from 20 yards which keeper Smith could only fumble.

And Andrius Velicka was there to fire the ball home from close range to secure all three points.

Wilson's Reserves now move six points clear of today's opponents in the Reserve League and remain one point behind league leaders Celtic who also have two games in hand.

RANGERS: Robinson; McMillan, McCulloch, Dailly, Smith; Burke, Edu, Adam, Naismith (Fleck 73); Loy (Lafferty 46), Velicka (Efrem 87)

Subs Not Used: Vaiculis, McLachlan, Little

Like others have said, I too hope SN isn't rushing back too quick.

Great to hear that Adam & Burke both played very well. Sounds like Burke was causing problems down the right & that Adam was doing well in midfield to win tackles & set up goal scoring chances with good passes.

Sounds like Loy is doing great as well. :thup:

Like others have said, I too hope SN isn't rushing back too quick.

Great to hear that Adam & Burke both played very well. Sounds like Burke was causing problems down the right & that Adam was doing well in midfield to win tackles & set up goal scoring chances with good passes.

Sounds like Loy is doing great as well. :thup:

Always liked Loy when i've seen him play on sultana, same goes for the boy Little. Young CFs NEVER get a real chance at Rangers though. Not in my lifetime anyway. Shame. I suppose they would have to be exceptional, like Kenny Miller, to even be considered for a start:notworthy:

Aye great to see Naismith back. Almost inexplicably quick recovery time! Take note Chris Burke.