Rangers prepare to swoop for Hibs ace Dean Shiels

RANGERS are ready to step up interest in Hibs playmaker Dean Shiels.Ibrox chief scout Ewan Chester ran the rule over him at Easter Road on Saturday as Hibs lost 4-2 to Kilmarnock.The 23-year-old Northern Ireland internationalist scored twice from the penalty spot as he returned from a foot injury.Shiels is out of contract in the summer and several sides in England, including Burnley, Preston, Doncaster, Ipswich, Bristol City and Plymouth, are keen to sign him.Hibs are keen to extend his stay but Shiels has been at Easter Road almost five years and may fancy a change.Rangers boss Walter Smith is a long-time admirer of the former Arsenal youth starlet and could sanction talks with his agent later this week about a deal for next season.

I see all the top clubs are interested in him.

It would seem the club is intent in buying all the Northern Ireland team.

If we're targetting the likes of Shiels, Wilkie, Cowie etc I'm surprised we never went for Ian Black he's no worse than the above names mentioned IMO. I'm not saying he's someone I would go for but he would give you more effort than some we are being linked with and most of the squad we have just now IMO and he was a free at the end of this season!

I see all the top clubs are interested in him.

It would seem the club is intent in buying all the Northern Ireland team.

The only NI one I would take at the moment is Healy. Shiells is no better than what we have and not as good as Naismith for instance. He is only fit to be a back-up/squad player and that's not what's needed right now.

If this is the level we are looking at then the Future is not good these players are nt good enough to were the Rangers Jersey ,

If Smith decides to bring in Shiels ,wilkie, Cowie then the only way is down as these players will struggle to get a game for the reserves , we need playersd who can go into the first team straight away.

Walters signing policy bafflles me ????? :(

I think he will be out on his ear befiore January is over if he brings in these players and drops any more point in the league.

If we're targetting the likes of Shiels, Wilkie, Cowie etc I'm surprised we never went for Ian Black he's no worse than the above names mentioned IMO. I'm not saying he's someone I would go for but he would give you more effort than some we are being linked with and most of the squad we have just now IMO and he was a free at the end of this season!

I thought that too. While I've never been that impressed by Black and he picks up his fair share of bookings, at least it would give us a terrier (I hate that word but you know what I mean) sort of player in the midfield, snapping at players ankles and playing with a bit of urgency.

As for the Shiels thing, its been doing the rounds for a while, but most people reckoned it was just agent talk.