Left side problem....solution!

I've been thinking about the left side of midfield where we are glaringly poor.

We have tried umpteen players in that position and still have not found an adequate solution.

I think it is almost a definite that Walter Smith will try and buy someone to fill in this big crack in midfield. But i've come up with two ideas.(apologies if they've already been stated).

As Rangers have tried the likes of Adam, Novo, Burke, Lafferty, and Mcculloch without success would it not be possible to play narrower through midfield and have an attacking midfielder on top of three midfield players in the centre and two up front....

..................Davis.....................Ferguson,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mendes..............

...........................................Novo.....................................................

............................Boyd..........................Miller....................................

It doesn't have to be Novo but i think he is good in that roll. If we have to go wide in this formation we can use the full backs to bomb forward(however, i'm not convinced Broadfoot and Papac are the ones to fulfil this roll.

My next solution is that we but Kris Commons. I have watched him play for Derby and Scotland and have liked the fast paced, dribbling tricks that he can do, and he takes on the defender and floats in a killer ball and he can force the oppositions midfield way back towards the defence.

I think he is an ideal candidate for the left side problem and i think we could get him for between 1.5m and 2m. the fact he is a Scotland international is a bonus.

What do you guys think?

Sorry i don't like the narrow option as we don't have the strikers for it. You need someone who can hold the ball up and play quick 1-2's. We also don't have the fullbacks who are comfortable in bombing forward, I prefer the wide option unless we can bring Hutten and Numan back.

Can't comment Commons as i don't really know him.

I do know his house well though.

I think we're far too narrow as it is and, since we don't have attacking fullbacks, the thought of further restricting wide play from midfield is hardly an attractive proposition.

Those tactics would be snuffed out by every average SPL team by playing a straightforward back four with a defensive midfielder in front of them. Not exclusive but we need two things very badly - pace and width.

i agree since broadfoot and papac are to natural centre halfs they dont have great pace and they are not entirely attack minded. altough i have been impressed with papac going forward this season for someone who is not a left back he has done a decent job in there for us big kirk is doin a job aswell but as far as narrowing the midfield goes i just dont think we are in a position to do that we dont have the players at the club at the moment to do that. even if we did i dont think its pretty to watch your always more liable to breakdown defences with natural wingers.

I've been thinking about the left side of midfield where we are glaringly poor.

We have tried umpteen players in that position and still have not found an adequate solution.

I think it is almost a definite that Walter Smith will try and buy someone to fill in this big crack in midfield. But i've come up with two ideas.(apologies if they've already been stated).

As Rangers have tried the likes of Adam, Novo, Burke, Lafferty, and Mcculloch without success would it not be possible to play narrower through midfield and have an attacking midfielder on top of three midfield players in the centre and two up front....

..................Davis.....................Ferguson,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mendes..............

...........................................Novo.....................................................

............................Boyd..........................Miller....................................

It doesn't have to be Novo but i think he is good in that roll. If we have to go wide in this formation we can use the full backs to bomb forward(however, i'm not convinced Broadfoot and Papac are the ones to fulfil this roll.

My next solution is that we but Kris Commons. I have watched him play for Derby and Scotland and have liked the fast paced, dribbling tricks that he can do, and he takes on the defender and floats in a killer ball and he can force the oppositions midfield way back towards the defence.

I think he is an ideal candidate for the left side problem and i think we could get him for between 1.5m and 2m. the fact he is a Scotland international is a bonus.

What do you guys think?

I actually touted Commons some time ago on another thread. I know he's not the type we would have gone for in the past, but in terms of what we can afford, he'd be worth a shout.

Guest Arnold

Your point about the full backs is the one that causes the bother. Broadfoot and Papac aren't good enough to be able to cope with such a tight midfield. The midfield three would be strong enough to cope and Novo is better played through the middle.

I posted the narrow option on another thread which gave Novo a free role. If we dont have width as it is then whats the harm in doing that rather than letting Novo suffer out wide. Davis showed in the 2nd half yesterday he is a better player coming inside a bit.

Ive heard a few good things about Commons but the other solution could be some bloke called Aaron Niguez.

I posted the narrow option on another thread which gave Novo a free role. If we dont have width as it is then whats the harm in doing that rather than letting Novo suffer out wide. Davis showed in the 2nd half yesterday he is a better player coming inside a bit.

Ive heard a few good things about Commons but the other solution could be some bloke called Aaron Niguez.

�¿Qui�©n?:confused:

Our current crop of midfield players don't have the creativity to open up defences with one touch football or defence splitting passes if we played with a narrow midfield. We need width in our play to stretch the opposition defenders although, saying that, we struggle to do that with wide players. Mind you, the players being asked to play on the wing aren't wingers!