Are Glasgow Rangers in big financial trouble?

One of the biggest surprises in transferland today is the announcement that Rangers will almost certainly sell Kris Boyd to Birmingham by the end of the week. The striker has scored a whopping twenty goals already this season, and has been the Gers top scorer for three seasons running. Understandably, his sale to a Championship side for just �£3.5m has raised more than a few eyebrows in the Scottish capital [er, of football - Ed.].

Captain Barry Ferguson is also said to be on the move for a similar price, although Walter Smith this week denied a move from Newcastle Utd for the player.

Owner Sir David Murray has made no secret of his desire to trim down his squad, arguing that the club lost �£10m in projected revenues when they dismally crashed out of the Champions League qualifiers.

During an emergency transfer strategy meeting, Smith and Murray reportedly agreed that Allan McGregor, Madjid Bougherra, Pedro Mendes, Steve Davis and Kevin Thomson are ââ?¬Å?untouchableââ?¬Â, but will deal with their estimated Ã?£20m debt by shifting ten players.

According to whispers on talkSPORT this morning, however, the entire first team is up for grabs.

What exactly is going on north of the border? Is David Murray in a deeper financial mire than he is letting on, or is his fire sale simply a lesson in how not to run a football club? Let us know your opinion on the matter below.

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2009/01/07/are-glasgow-rangers-in-big-financial-trouble

Yes, it would appear that we are in more financial trouble than any of us imagined. As indicated, the entire first team squad are 'up for sale' and any offer will be discussed and a deal done if the money is correct.

I heard someone (who knows more about the financial side than I could ever) say a few weeks ago that we are in more trouble than Woolworths. If that isn't a wake up call to the support, then nothing will be.

Cammy F - There May Be Trouble Ahead Loyal RSC

Time for the Gers fans to dip into their pockets !!

With what ? Gers fans, like those of most other clubs, are struggling as much as any. The credit crisis and recession havent fully hit the UK yet have they ?

With what ? Gers fans, like those of most other clubs, are struggling as much as any. The credit crisis and recession havent fully hit the UK yet have they ?

Collection buckets @ Ibrox on match days :(

Well, we're having to pay �£23+ for netx month's friendly against AC Milan... ;)

I wonder if some of the overpaid players and staff at the club will forgo a similar %age of their weekly wage to help out the club? :mad:

Edited by craig

I said in another thread that we are in danger of becoming the new millenium Tims. But you know what, I think the situation is more dire than even that.

At least when the Tims were almost bankrupt the economy, and people in general, were doing rather well for themselves. It was easier to find a buyer.

In the current climate people are VERY nervous, finding a buyer would be nigh on impossible (Warren Buffett isn't a clsoet Bear by any chance is he ?) as most people are not really spending (even the rich and famous are cutting back).

Our own owner is doing likewise and it MIGHT actually be that he is prepared to see Rangers go to the wall - the club cost how much ? 6 million ? Rather than pump more money into the club by having it go bankrupt he could realise cash for the last couple of assets we have. He would never be able to return to West Scotland but he won't care when in his French chataeux.

Troubled times for us indeed.

I think the only obvious people to suffer are those who have lost jobs during the credit crunch? Maybe I am wrong?

I would say food shopping is not that much dearer and if you shop sensible then you could easily save money. Fuel was up high before the crunch really came in and now has came way down again. Most businesses are saying people are not spending as much so what are they doing with it? People who have tracker rate mortgages are so much better off, and only people with savings are being hit by the interest rates aren't they?

It has not made much difference to me yet in anyway, my job is safe and I actually feel better off than I have for a while. And I have enough homebrew for a few months at least :devil:

And before you say it Ian I know the next round is mine :fish:

Sorry if this is off topic, just bored at work today being my first day back :box: