What is a sackable offence for a Rangers manager?

A lot will be said about WS in the next 3 league games. After going 7 points behind, all of a sudden Celtic have picked up 1 point from the 2 teams we play next - Dundee Utd and Aberdeen!

WS has a huge chance to show how much he wants the title by winning these games and getting it right. If he picks a negative team with negative tactics then that says it all.

For me he will still be judged when the league is either won or lost this season and that will determine whether he stays or goes also.

I also agree that SDM has been very faithful to his managers in that he doesnt get involved in who we should be signing etc - but that in itself makes him culpable because if we dont have the money then SDM should be the one saying "this is how much you have to spend"

I don't agree with this at all. MB is SDM's right hand man & the one who conducts much of the transfer dealings. WS obviously points out who he would like, but I doubt very much that he has the final say in how much IS or IS NOT spent & that's an important factor to consider when slagging off WS for his bad signings. Likewise with his good signings. I doubt very much that WS had the final say on the financial side of those, be they coming or going... :)

Sorry Craig, yes I think SDM & MB are more responsible & culpable for financial matters including incoming & outgoing transfers. WS doesn't get a phone call to ask if he'll accept X amount for a player. Ok, maybe occasionally, but not always!!!

Edited by Zappa

But one who takes Faye on loan does ??? Strange. Sebo was shite but Faye was WORSE.

But Faye didn't cost us any money bar six months wages. Lafferty may be a better comparison.

However, all managers make mistakes, it's whether they balance it with the good players.

Walter's teams do actually compete with Celtic and in 2 years he's gained the exact same number of points as Celtic.

PLG was 17 points behind after 6 months and he didn't leave the slightest legacy except for Papac and Adam - and not many like the latter. PLG had the worst start in the season for a Rangers manager in 27 years and first manager to go out of the League Cup to a lower division team. So it's easily argued that PLG was pretty poor overall in his signings.

Walter's best players for the last two years which he has brought in has probably been:

MacGregor

Hutton Bougherra/Weir Cuellar Whittaker

Davis Mendes Thomson Naismith

Cousin Miller/Darcheville

What's PLG's?

Letizi

Bardsley Svenson ??? Papac

Sionko Clement Adam Martin

Sebo ???

It seems PLG did not have much to balance Sebo with except perhaps Clement who in my opinion is not as good as Thomson.

I don't agree with this at all. MB is SDM's right hand man & the one who conducts much of the transfer dealings. WS obviously points out who he would like, but I doubt very much that he has the final say in how much IS or IS NOT spent & that's an important factor to consider when slagging off WS for his bad signings. Likewise with his good signings. I doubt very much that WS had the final say on the financial side of those, be they coming or going... :)

Sorry Craig, yes I think SDM & MB are more responsible & culpable for financial matters including incoming & outgoing transfers. WS doesn't get a phone call to ask if he'll accept X amount for a player. Ok, maybe occasionally, but not always!!!

So are you agreeing or disagreeing with me ? :fish:

In all seriousness, Kaunas.

And the warning bells were there beforehand with two amateur German teams. Beginning of the season was the excuse for these games, well the German leagues start about two weeks after our leagues start. The jerries go on holiday in July the same as everybody else.

In all seriousness, Kaunas.

The Kaunas debacle was unforgivable. When Smith said in his post-match interview that he had "seen it coming" I lost all hope and knew then all my worst fears about him had been realised.

The debate about whether Smith or PLG was worst or best is immaterial as far as I'm concerned. Smith simply isn't a good enough manager for Rangers for all sorts of reasons and I would like nothing better that for him and his backroom team to join our board of directors on a last walk out of Rangers. You will never turn this club around without the people arriving on the scene to do it.

I think you have to take Kaunus in context with the previous European run. The fact we played 19 games in Europe the season before and did pretty well, is enough to suggest Kaunus was a glitch. When you average out the two seasons, WS record still looks not too bad. When you get to a Euro final I think you earn yourself one get out of jail free card - only one mind you.

If Rangers managers were sacked for the odd poor Euro results we'd be on our 50th manager by now.

We didn't sack Eck for Zhizkov...

I think you have to take Kaunus in context with the previous European run. The fact we played 19 games in Europe the season before and did pretty well, is enough to suggest Kaunus was a glitch. When you average out the two seasons, WS record still looks not too bad. When you get to a Euro final I think you earn yourself one get out of jail free card - only one mind you.

If Rangers managers were sacked for the odd poor Euro results we'd be on our 50th manager by now.

No, I only have to take Kaunas in the context of Kaunas. And McLeish bloody well should have got his jotters as well. In fact neither he nor Smith should ever have been invited to manage Rangers.

Sorry I have to disagree.

Kaunas was so catastrophic that it doesn't deserve to be taken in context. We may look back in a decade or so and surmise that Kaunas alone put us five years behind Celtic in both financial and footballing terms. We were as woeful in the second leg as we had been in the first, and trying to get through to the group stages of the CL with a midfield of McCulloch, Dailly and Adam was simply criminal.

Zhizkov was merely a UEFA Cup defeat - and before the group stage format was introduced to that particular tournament - and the sums at stake were miniscule in comparison to the Champions League. It was also, I'm sure most will agree particularly after the second leg, a freak result, whereas Kaunas was Levski Sofia all over again and a result Walter could apparently "see coming".

People often say the only way to come back from being punted out of Europe early doors is to win the treble. At least McLeish's team did that. I don't have the same faith in the group of players Smith has assembled to do similar. I hope I am proved wrong.