Engulfed By The Stench Of Negativity �.

Over the years it has become almost impossible to pen a positive article on the fortunes of Rangers Football Club. Even whilst we were winning trophies under Alex McLeish, the signs were there for all to see (but many chose to ignore them). All our better players sold and replaced with an inferior standard and as was bound to happen, the results and trophies dried up and Alex McLeish was eventually sacked. McLeish was replaced by PLG and for a briefest of moments, we had a glimmer of hope, a promise of moonbeams and the chance to reshape our future and destiny. In true Rangers fashion, the PLG era failed to deliver on those promises and we all have our own thoughts on who was to blame for this failure. Walter Smith was brought back from managing Scotland to steady the ship and get us back on course. He achieved this to a certain extent and we were tantalisingly close to a record breaking season last season but ended up missing out on the glittering prizes and had to settle for the domestic cup double.

However, no matter what has been happening on the field, this has been overshadowed by a consistently mismanaged club off the field. We are run by a captain of industry who appears to only be able to see to the end of his nose. During SDMâ��s 20 years in charge, there has NEVER been any long-term plans put in place or a long term agenda to strive towards. Everything has been reactive rather than proactive. Even as we enter the last hours of the transfer window, we, the paying customers, donâ��t know what will happen if the custodian fails to sell one of our prize assets before the window is closed and locked until the pre-season. Our Custodian, via his lap-dogs in the media, is on the offensive (as he tends to do when his ego has taken a bashing) telling everyone that everything he is doing is for the long-term good and that generating �£4M 5 months after sanctioning a �£20M spending spree isnâ��t his fault. He is also using his lap-dogs to marginalise the support and to ostracise those of us who dare question his motives, his financial management and his custodianship of OUR club.

Our current management team appear to be contributing to this stench of negativity especially if you examine the team selection and reasons behind this for the recent game in Aberdeen. The reason Walter Smith chose to bench our leading scorer and play Lee McCulloch was simply down to Aberdeen�s 4 goal salvo against The Tims the previous week. Had Aberdeen not scored 4 times from set-pieces, Walter Smith wouldn�t have changed personnel and / or formation. Have The Rangers sunk so low that we have to change OUR game to suit Aberdeen? Gone are the halcyon days where we allowed the opposition to worry about our players, our strengths, our tactics, our formation etc. I understand the need to change and to react during games and during a season, but on a day where we could have gone top of the SPL, this sent out a negative message and should a complete lack of ambition in our quest to regain our title. It is worth noting here that we didn�t haul ourselves back into the SPL title race by improving our performances, we were allowed back in thanks to other teams taking points form a lacklustre Celtc team.

It is my belief that Walter Smith either doesn�t trust his players, or doesn�t think they are good enough to go out and compete and win this SPL title. He is hoping that other clubs take points from Celtc and I believe that when we role up to Torbett Towers next month, if Boyd is still here, we will revert to 4-5-1 with Boyd once again warming the bench whilst we try to earn a draw instead of attacking the tims and trying to defeat them. Walter will be happy with a point, just like he was post-Pittodrie. I can�t agree with his assessment that we controlled / dominated the game. The game was dross, was there to win and we couldn�t win the game. We only really created chances in the last 15 minutes of the match with Boyd and Novo missing guilt-edged chances. Not having a go at Boyd, but I don�t think that he is as prolific with his head as he should be for a centre. If my memory serves me correctly, Boyd has only scored one headed goal this season. His headed effort at Pittodrie was a prime example. Boyd somehow managed to hit the defender rather than the back of the net when the goal was gaping.

Walter Smith and Lee McCulloch stated this week that getting to the CIS Cup Final would be something to lift the gloom and unite the fans. Sorry Walter and Lee, whilst winning the CIS Cup would be nice, it doesn�t take away from the fact that there is a veil of negativity hanging over our beloved club and it�ll take a lot more than getting to the CIS Cup Final to lift the mood or to clear away the clouds to reveal clear blue skys bathed in sunshine (or should that moonbeams?).

As I said at the start of this article, it has become all most impossible to pen a positive article regarding The Rangers and I can�t see this changing in the foreseeable future.

Cammy F - :rfc:

There's no doubt the constant negativity from all parts of the club is affecting performance on and off the field.

Going through 3-4 years of no SPL title means the pressure is getting to everyone - especially when we see the debt rising. As such, negative thoughts are inevitable.

We just need to channel this negativity better than we are doing. Use the problems to improve instead of taking cheap shots at each other. Again, a true leader would be seen to do this.

We don't seem to have anyone capable of doing that. <<< More Negativity

A good and worthy reminder Cammy F.

You must be the "mischievious element" that the Great Deceiver was referring to the other day. If mischief is telling the truth that hurts then let's keep on doing it. There's nothing negative about that.

Our current management team appear to be contributing to this stench of negativity especially if you examine the team selection and reasons behind this for the recent game in Aberdeen. The reason Walter Smith chose to bench our leading scorer and play Lee McCulloch was simply down to Aberdeen’s 4 goal salvo against The Tims the previous week. Had Aberdeen not scored 4 times from set-pieces, Walter Smith wouldn’t have changed personnel and / or formation. Have The Rangers sunk so low that we have to change OUR game to suit Aberdeen? Gone are the halcyon days where we allowed the opposition to worry about our players, our strengths, our tactics, our formation etc. I understand the need to change and to react during games and during a season, but on a day where we could have gone top of the SPL, this sent out a negative message and should a complete lack of ambition in our quest to regain our title. It is worth noting here that we didn’t haul ourselves back into the SPL title race by improving our performances, we were allowed back in thanks to other teams taking points form a lacklustre Celtc team.

It is my belief that Walter Smith either doesn’t trust his players, or doesn’t think they are good enough to go out and compete and win this SPL title. He is hoping that other clubs take points from Celtc and I believe that when we role up to Torbett Towers next month, if Boyd is still here, we will revert to 4-5-1 with Boyd once again warming the bench whilst we try to earn a draw instead of attacking the tims and trying to defeat them. Walter will be happy with a point, just like he was post-Pittodrie. I can’t agree with his assessment that we controlled / dominated the game. The game was dross, was there to win and we couldn’t win the game. We only really created chances in the last 15 minutes of the match with Boyd and Novo missing guilt-edged chances. Not having a go at Boyd, but I don’t think that he is as prolific with his head as he should be for a centre. If my memory serves me correctly, Boyd has only scored one headed goal this season. His headed effort at Pittodrie was a prime example. Boyd somehow managed to hit the defender rather than the back of the net when the goal was gaping.

Cammy F - :rfc:

Yip couldnt agree more. Starting with a 4-5-1 has its arguments for and against but the reluctance to change it at all in the 90 mins is a disgrace and showed total lack of ambition and confidence. It was obvious we were in more control so there would have been no harm switching to a 4-4-2 at the start of the 2nd half and if it was allowing Aberdeen back into the game then we had the personnel available to make the switch back to 4-5-1. IMO we wouldnt have needed to switch back anyway. But this is what half time teams talks are for - to give players instructions.

But for WS to make the subs like he did was embarrassing. Boyd as a straight swap for Miller in a 4-5-1 has no substance. Novo on the left for the last 10 mins may have paid off but would have been a lucky guess if it did.

Celtic conceding 4 goals the previous week are Strachans problems and this has nothing to do with how well Aberdeen would play against us, so to set up basing it on the 4-2 was silly.

Edited by Gribz

Yip couldnt agree more. Starting with a 4-5-1 has its arguments for and against but the reluctance to change it at all in the 90 mins is a disgrace and showed total lack of ambition and confidence. It was obvious we were in more control so there would have been no harm switching to a 4-4-2 at the start of the 2nd half and if it was allowing Aberdeen bad into the game then we had the personnel available to make the switch back to 4-5-1. IMO we wouldnt have needed to switch back anyway. But this is what half time teams talks are for - to give players instructions.

But for WS to make the subs like he did was embarrassing. Boyd as a straight swap for Miller in a 4-5-1 has no substance. Novo on the left for the last 10 mins may have paid off but would have been a lucky guess if it did.

Celtic conceding 4 goals the previous week are Strachans problems and this has nothing to do with how well Aberdeen would play against us, so to set up basing it on the 4-2 was silly.

I was not suprised Walter went for a negative 4-5-1, especially after Celtic got cuffed the week before.

However, when it was clear that Aberdeen weren't capable of doing it two weeks in a row we should have changed formation and tactics and gone for the jugular!

Well i felt a glimpse of positivity today in that we didn't just sit in and try and hang on to the 1-0. Easy to pick out only the negatives we also have to give credit where it's due.

John Fleck is another light in the darkness. Now for Aaron.

Lafferty also possibly a positive today?