The slating of walter smith and the team!

I'm not the biggest fan of walter smith, but ffs can fans on here not just back the manager instead of every opportunity slate him, i was reading the the transfer threads post and it went from a transfer rumour about james mcarthur and alex smithies to getting rid of smith ffs its a joke. Were at a critical part of the season and we all need to be 110% behind the team and the manager. Were back where we belong to the top of the league lets get behind the team and manager and roar them on to the championship instead of putting them down all the time!

I'm not the biggest fan of walter smith, but ffs can fans on here not just back the manager instead of every opportunity slate him, i was reading the the transfer threads post and it went from a transfer rumour about james mcarthur and alex smithies to getting rid of smith ffs its a joke. Were at a critical part of the season and we all need to be 110% behind the team and the manager. Were back where we belong to the top of the league lets get behind the team and manager and roar them on to the championship instead of putting them down all the time!

Are you suggesting he's not enough of a manager to do his job without being fawned over by the same fans he criticised in the press only a few weeks ago? Many of us were "roaring Rangers on" long before Walter Smith came to Rangers and have our own standards and expectations to meet.

i think some of the criticism really has been OTT. walter smith isn't the cause of our general decline, he's a symptom. he's doing his job faithfully and to the best of his ability. i dont doubt he has rangers first. similarly, all the negativity isn't the cause of our general decline, its a symptom. when the chairman says he basically can't be arsed, and the football on display seems half-arsed, whiney supporting naturally follows. some people just enjoy whining, and so they wait for the times of decline to come to the fore.

walter smith deserves criticism, but he also deserves respect. he's took the reigns in our most unglorious years and steadied the ship. however, he knows he's not the future, and there's a feeling in the gut that any good that occurs will be temporary because we're on a general downwards spiral, which is why i think many find it hard to get excited.

walter smith gave us a european final though, so he'll always be a legend for me. i dont think we'll progress under him, and i am firmly against the line he's toing about the fans, but i think the problem's much bigger than him.

I think any criticism of WS on here has been constructive and deserved

Utter Tosh, explain then how he was completely slated for blowing the chance to go top of the league against Killie - not only before the game but also during it?

He was condemned for having no bottle and yet we actually won the game. I didn't see all those who slated him queuing up to apologise afterwards.

So do explain, how that was in any way constructive and deserved...

Even in the transfer RUMOURS, he gets slated for signing players that he hasn't done and many never do so.

Walter Smith deserves some criticism for quite a few things, but there is very little on here that is constructive or deserved for a manager who, with a level playing field would have had us winning the treble last season and who is again on top of the league, in one final and the other semi-final.

If PLG had achieved those same results we'd be treating him as some kind of messiah and be blaming the Tims and SPL for totally robbing us of the treble.

But in these screwed up times, we back the SPL, back the Tims and slate our reasonably successful manager at every opportunity instead.

Utter Tosh, explain then how he was completely slated for blowing the chance to go top of the league against Killie - not only before the game but also during it?

He was condemned for having no bottle and yet we actually won the game. I didn't see all those who slated him queuing up to apologise afterwards.

So do explain, how that was in any way constructive and deserved...

Even in the transfer RUMOURS, he gets slated for signing players that he hasn't done and many never do so.

Walter Smith deserves some criticism for quite a few things, but there is very little on here that is constructive or deserved for a manager who, with a level playing field would have had us winning the treble last season and who is again on top of the league, in one final and the other semi-final.

If PLG had achieved those same results we'd be treating him as some kind of messiah and be blaming the Tims and SPL for totally robbing us of the treble.

But in these screwed up times, we back the SPL, back the Tims and slate our reasonably successful manager at every opportunity instead.

Utter tosh ??,in your opinion. I happen to think the man has a lot to answer for the waste of money on his signings,TOO LATE, this season and why he continually picks players and plays them out of position, McCulloch ?.What he achieved last season was very short of our best ever season,granted.And if he feels it is right to have a go at the Rangers fans,then I'm sure he is wise enough to expect a bit of criticism when things don't go his way.If you are happy with what Walter has done then fine, some of us are not.Is he the man to take us forward ?, no IMO.FWIW I have not been on here and slagged him off, he just baffles me,and others with some of his decisions and can understand why he gets slated when it doesn't pay off. Not everyone thinks the same, but we are entitled to our opinion as you are

Utter tosh ??,in your opinion. I happen to think the man has a lot to answer for the waste of money on his signings,TOO LATE, this season and why he continually picks players and plays them out of position, McCulloch ?.What he achieved last season was very short of our best ever season,granted.And if he feels it is right to have a go at the Rangers fans,then I'm sure he is wise enough to expect a bit of criticism when things don't go his way.If you are happy with what Walter has done then fine, some of us are not.Is he the man to take us forward ?, no IMO.FWIW I have not been on here and slagged him off, he just baffles me,and others with some of his decisions and can understand why he gets slated when it doesn't pay off. Not everyone thinks the same, but we are entitled to our opinion as you are

Stop moaning m8 don't you know we're top of the league and all our problems are over :fish:

IF we happen to win the league this season I will definitely say well done Walter but please retire NOW............:whistle:

You need to be understanding here - there has been a sudden epidemic of instant memory failure due to league table vertigo. The sun has got his hat on, the wind is at our back, God is in His heaven and Walter Smith must be respected.

Well here's a thing. The manager who took us to a European final but then bottled it and refused to try to win it will never be forgiven by this bear. Then there's the manager who said after the Kaunas exit that he "saw it coming" but hadn't cared to do anything about it - I don't want this man in charge of Rangers. There's even the manager seemingly obsessed with negative tactics and has turned playing decent enough players out of position into an art form - he's definitely not the manager for me. And you know what, none of these things have changed since Motherwell equalised against sellick on Sunday.

So no sudden change of heart from this bear. Walter Smith is Murray's pick and he's made himself Murray's man. He's a poor manager and will never lift the club or reverse our continuing decline. If he was the man we really needed then he wouldn't be here because Murray would never have chosen anything but a yes man.

Not even a league title will change any of that. Nor will it change our road ahead. It certainly won't stop next season's squad being even weaker than the one we have today.

my position's the same as its always been. managers like walter smith grow out of times of decline like daffodils out of the late-winter sun. he's doing a decent job in that period. he can obviously be called to answer for a lot of his decision making, but moaning that we're in a period of decline is just pointless if there's nothing that can be done to turn it around. we've just got to dig in, i think - win as much as we can in this period of general shiteyness until we get someone with a bit of vision that can turn things around.

The thing is, when WS came in we were a complete and utter shambles from top to bottom.

Now, we are still a shambles at the top but it can't be debated that on the playing field WS actually has made us far more competitive than we were under PLG and Eck's last season.

Under PLG we were heading nowhere fast on the pitch (even though I was a PLG supporter) and WS has come in and at least has us competing for trophies.

He deserves respect for that no matter what.

He also, on the other hand, deserves criticism where warranted. He should be to blame for our CL exit this season (along with his squad) because he blew all his transfer budget on 3 strikers and didnt strengthen the midfield that needed it.

We need to take off our biased glasses in both directions and see that he has been both good AND bad for us but, generally speaking, he has taken us in the right direction. I personally dont know who else could have done that for us.