Unacceptable, Inexplicable But Totally Predictable

So as captian, he shouldn't berate players? Gough berated players continually when Captain. Players of a better standard than we currently have. It just appears that Ferguson is blamed for all our faults. I know he is not the players he was, but he certainly aint solely to blame for our inept performers

Cammy F

WOnt be a popular example, but Roy Keane was always barking at team mates.

Yip, its all Barry's fault :(..... The only game that Mendes truly shown in when Ferguson was missing was the OF victory at Parkhead. The player that we are missing is Kevin Thomson - the only midfield battler we have in our ranks.

Cammy F

Thomson is the one player we have badly missed this season. With him in there we win the battles "most" of the time. We have badly missed him and he was really starting to look and play like a class player.

IMO, and I have stated this before, our CM's, when all fit, should be Kevin Thomson + AN Other (choose either Fergie, Mendes or Davis) but the one constant should be Kevin Thomson.

Tell you what, if I were the current Rangers captain, I wouldn't only be berating some of the players, I'd be kicking them up the arse as well. These imposters are playing for THE RANGERS for fooks sake.

Cammy F

Summed up my day as well...

As much as we can defend Smith's record since he came back his constant tactical negativity is costing us big time.

It started in Kaunas this season, cost us the League Cup yesterday and will cost us the league.

4-5-1 has its merits and I'm happy to use it from time to time. Yesterday was not that time.

PS: The decision to bring on Dailly who hadn't played for months showed the height of our ambitions yesterday: ie lets hope we win on pens.

I have to agree that bringing on Daily was a dire decision. FWIW, I also thought that taking off Lafferty was a poor choice of tactics, but it doesn't make me want to see the back of WS.

I have to agree that bringing on Daily was a dire decision. FWIW, I also thought that taking off Lafferty was a poor choice of tactics, but it doesn't make me want to see the back of WS.

I don't want to see the back of Walter Smith either.

I also don't want to see his front, his side or any other part of him at Ibrox.

As for Boyd unfortunately 500.000 looks more likely than 4 million now.

Agree with Cammy i will not be crying when he goes.

As for Fergie disagree totally with Cammy, for me he can hold Boyds 6 fingers as they walk out the door.

As for Mendes making a forward pass. Well maybe if he had players in front of him he could pass to he could do it. Looking up and seeing Kenny Miller with three Celtic shirts about him doesn't really give much confidence to pass it forward.

Agree totally that Kevin Thomson is the player we miss the most.

As soon as I saw 4-5-1 for a cup final I actually felt gutted for those hardy souls who forked out lot's of money to travel far and wide to watch the cup final, it's a cup final, it's supposed to be an attraction in itself, I'd been dreading the thought of a 4-5-1 all week and it bloody well happened, my heart sunk the moment I saw it and sure enough we lost.

We play a 4-4-2 at Park Head and win 2-4 in one of the most exciting old firm matches in recent times, please Walter stop the boring and negative 4-5-1 formation as it makes the bible look like a Blackpool illumination !

You're right one bad result and a couple of decisions within that game shouldn't arguably mean a manager is sacked.

However, these poor tactical decisions (and results) have happened several times now. Kaunas first and in other games this season before, during and after the weekend's result.

Add in our dreadful dealings in the transfer market which has us perilously close to financial oblivion, then this ongoing bad performance is making Smith's position increasingly untenable.

That may seem rather a daft statement when we almost won the UEFA Cup, almost won the league last season and are contesting all domestic competitions again this term, but we just are not getting any better or learning from our mistakes.

As soon as I saw 4-5-1 for a cup final I actually felt gutted for those hardy souls who forked out lot's of money to travel far and wide to watch the cup final, it's a cup final, it's supposed to be an attraction in itself, I'd been dreading the thought of a 4-5-1 all week and it bloody well happened, my heart sunk the moment I saw it and sure enough we lost.

We play a 4-4-2 at Park Head and win 2-4 in one of the most exciting old firm matches in recent times, please Walter stop the boring and negative 4-5-1 formation as it makes the bible look like a Blackpool illumination !

It isn't the 4-5-1 that particularly irks me. It has its place and is a useful tactic. However, sometimes if it isn't working, then you must move from it. On Sunday we failed to do that.

Celtic did change from a 4-5-1 to a 4-4-2 and it could be said it won them the game as when Samaras came on they looked more dangerous and held possession better in the final third.

Meanwhile, when Boyd came on for us, the opposite could be said as he couldn't provide an outlet and, other than Novo, we couldn't get men forward to support the attack.

These problems are not anything new for us. But they keep occurring which is surely unacceptable for any fan - Smith supporter or not.