If we win the SPL this season, it that is a HUGE IF, it will be despite Walter Smith, nit because of him. We have had three opportunities to open up a gap on Celtc recently and he's bottled every chance we've had. We had a chance to win the first domestic cup of the season on Sunday and he bottled it.

The only way I want Smith to stay is if it stops Ally McCoist becoming the manager. We need a change, but we require a proven coach who can demonstrate both signing prudent players whilst also bleeding youngsters through from the youtrh teams.

A club like Rangers should have an eye on up-and-coming coaches from all over Europe. They should have a short-list of candidates who could become the next Rangers manager. The only short list SDM has is a fag packet with Ally McCoist sribbled on the side of it.

No leadership, no ambition, no fight, no future - Rangers FC 2009

Cammy F

That's way OTT imo Cammy, so I can't agree at all.

Is it? Where's the leadership on or off the pitch? Where's the ambition on or off the pitch? Where's the fight on or off the pitch?

What's the future given that we have already been informed that we'll have to sell / lose at least 8 players in the summer even if we win the SPL title?

Leadership? We have a chairman and manager who aren't leading us on or off the pitch. We are rudderless, drifting to oblivion.

Ambition? Is our ambition to be the 2nd best in Scotland whilst missing out on the CL? Certainly seems like it as we are in major debt, having to cut jobs on and off the pitch and have no long-term plans or goals.

Fight? We are continually attacked in the press whilst supporters of other clubs can sing what ever they want without reproach. We are gutless on the pitch and our coaches can't install fight into our players. We are run by surrender monkey's.

Welcome to RFC 2009

Cammy F

Can you imagine the SDM's talk with him?

"Well Walter, you took us to our first European final for 26 years, won both the cups and very narrowly lost the league due to an unprecedented fixture pile up. However, you just lost to Kaunus, you're fired!"

Harsh indeed. With thinking like that we'd have had about 30 managers instead of 12. Eck would have been sacked three times including in his treble year for Victoria Zizkov, Advocaat in his third season, Souness for finishing 3rd in his second season, John Grieg in his second season etc.

But this time round against Kaunas it would appear that the future of the club (almost) depended on us beating them. And surely the UEFA Cup finalists shouldn't have played so negatively against a team like Kaunas, particularly when our tactics would have come as no surprise to them and they prepared appropriately to deal with them.

I agree it would have been harsh to sack him, but once WS had come in and steadied the ship, the signs were there that he was going to struggle to actually build on that and improve things. Its easy to say with hindsight, but much as we had an amazing season last year, we rode our luck massively at times and it could easily have gone the other way for us. I think that this season we've been similarly poor at times, but our luck has run out.

As for the fixture thing, I think that like this year, we had ample chance to have the league won but kept dropping silly points. Walter's reluctance to use the whole squad or blood young players meant that they inevitably ran out of steam. Again, its like this season. If players are tired, rest them. If players aren't producing the goods on the pitch, drop them or motivate them to do better next time.

The way we played against Kaunas was just depressing and it kind of summed up where we were at the time and what lay ahead for the season. Following on from that dismal defeat, SDM then bankrolled WS with the kind of money which surprised all of us and if rumours are to be believed, has taken us to the brink of some very serious financial troubles. Was it really necessary? We now have too big a squad and are still struggling to beat many mediocre teams in the league while the management team still seem to be unable to see many of the glaring problems we have on the park which have plagued us for the best part of 5 years now.

Off the park there aren't dressing room rifts any more, but the fitness and motivation of the team doesn't seem to be any better for it. There's no doubt the players respect WS, but if that's the case, why do they not appear willing to bust a gut for him? There seems to be a distinct lack of leadership on the park and off the park. How many times do we struggle to break sides down and resort to playing long balls from the back when we don't have a target man? Walter just seems to have run out of ideas and the problem he has now is that he's spent money handsomely and we're not really any better off than we were last season.

There just seems to be no ambition or long-term plan any more and its really sad to see may first team players talk the talk about how much they love the club, WS etc but repeatedly actually show any sort of guts and determination when they take to the pitch.

Smith and McCoist are Murrays last throw at the dice.

There is no getout plan after them if they fail.

just a pity he never threw the money at them before the Kuanus debacle.

Then again Smith would probably bought a bag of magic beans.

Is it? Where's the leadership on or off the pitch? Where's the ambition on or off the pitch? Where's the fight on or off the pitch?

What's the future given that we have already been informed that we'll have to sell / lose at least 8 players in the summer even if we win the SPL title?

Leadership? We have a chairman and manager who aren't leading us on or off the pitch. We are rudderless, drifting to oblivion.

Ambition? Is our ambition to be the 2nd best in Scotland whilst missing out on the CL? Certainly seems like it as we are in major debt, having to cut jobs on and off the pitch and have no long-term plans or goals.

Fight? We are continually attacked in the press whilst supporters of other clubs can sing what ever they want without reproach. We are gutless on the pitch and our coaches can't install fight into our players. We are run by surrender monkey's.

Welcome to RFC 2009

Cammy F

While you may have some valid points, the "surrender monkeys" is highly ironic and perhaps you and many others need a good look in the mirror. You've totally surrendered the league and all hope of success in the future while I heard the total opposite of that from our manager or players.

Whatever his faults, I have absolutely no doubt WS believes we can win the league and will try his best to do so. There are far too many gutless, so called fans around, that are gleefully predicting that we've already lost.

In fact, I think many of our fans are failing far worse than Walter these days. The team were narrowly beaten in extra time at the weakend, but from what I saw and heard on the telly, our fans were well and truly trounced for support, singing and noise by those on the East side of the stadium.

Quiet, still, grim and with arms folded looks like the way these days.

While you may have some valid points, the "surrender monkeys" is highly ironic and perhaps you and many others need a good look in the mirror. You've totally surrendered the league and all hope of success in the future while I heard the total opposite of that from our manager or players.

Whatever his faults, I have absolutely no doubt WS believes we can win the league and will try his best to do so. There are far too many gutless, so called fans around, that are gleefully predicting that we've already lost.

In fact, I think many of our fans are failing far worse than Walter these days. The team were narrowly beaten in extra time at the weakend, but from what I saw and heard on the telly, our fans were well and truly trounced for support, singing and noise by those on the East side of the stadium.

Yep im one of those gutless fans who are predicting we will lose the league.

Why? well i see exactly the same mistakes that were made when we lost the league last season. poor team selections and bad management all round again Im afraid and unlike last season were i predicted we would in fact lose the league right after the CIS cup final against Dundee Utd im not going to wait around till the end of this season to vent my anger.

I can assure you calscot that saying i told you so once the inevitable happens doesnt make it any better.

I know that from experience.

And I also know that Smiths mediocre management skills are destroying our club right down to the very roots.

Yeah, I'll be one of those gutless fans too. You speak as if we shouldn't have any expectations of the players, and I'm not just talking about the result but actually showing some guts themselves. Rather than being "narrowly beaten" on Sunday, we meakly surrendered the trophy to a team who wanted it more, and that is simply unacceptable and the reason, I think you'll find, behind much of the fans' anger. I couldn't believe my eyes as they sprayed the ball about the back line for minutes at a time during extra time when we needed to chase the game. I bet the Celtic end couldn't believe their luck.

You can't just blindly support players who patently aren't giving their all for their jersey, and then accuse those who grumble of being "gutless". At least in the mid 80s the players played for the shirt. That's all we ask.

I think some of these players need reminding who exactly it is they are playing for.

Cal, some fans (including myself) be 'gutless' but it isn't without good reason. And I don't see many people being gleeful about it.

The facts are many problems still exist at the club. I agree some fans should try and rise above it (and many do) but having the same rubbish thrown at us week after week means people will get fed up.

As such, unhappiness and negativity will prevail over optimism and positivity. That's sad but true.

It's primarily up to the management and the players to change that. There is only so much investment and support the fans can provide without true leadership from the actual club.

:)

There is only so much negative football you can take and that is coming from the manager is it not?

Going for draws in Europe is one thing but doing that against SPL teams and sometimes at home I never thought I would ever see that from Rangers.....

Is it OK for the manager and players to talk about being positive but being the total opposite on the pitch?

No wonder so many fans are so negative when they are watching the dire performances on the pitch these days with not much commitment from many well paid players and also hearing the news coming from the chairman about the state of our club, the state he has put us in!!!