Season Ticket Renewal

Renewing but reluctantly so. Hard to justify it in the current financial climate but I know come that 1st Saturday of the season, there is only 1 place I'd want to be

I don't quite get the current financial climate thing - the current climate is caused by people not spending, and so companies have to cut costs and so lay people off, so they have less money to spend and therefore other companies have to lay people off, and then people get nervous about their jobs and stop spending, and so companies go to the wall and make people unemployed etc, etc.

There is a massive misconception that we should stop spending when it is precisely that which is fueling the recession. That's why interest rates are so low and VAT has been cut - to get people to spend.

If you're unemployed you can't help it but most people who are in reasonably secure jobs and own a house, should actually be better off right now with lower mortgages, less VAT and deflation of many prices.

I don't quite get the current financial climate thing - the current climate is caused by people not spending, and so companies have to cut costs and so lay people off, so they have less money to spend and therefore other companies have to lay people off, and then people get nervous about their jobs and stop spending, and so companies go to the wall and make people unemployed etc, etc.

There is a massive misconception that we should stop spending when it is precisely that which is fueling the recession. That's why interest rates are so low and VAT has been cut - to get people to spend.

If you're unemployed you can't help it but most people who are in reasonably secure jobs and own a house, should actually be better off right now with lower mortgages, less VAT and deflation of many prices.

There is a great fear of uncertainty, and that's a large part of the problem. You are right in what you say, but when you see companies like RBS almost go under then it causes everybody to worry and virtually nobody can feel very safe in their jobs.

I was going to buy a new flat screen TV at Christmas but didn't through a slightly irrational fear of the economy and the job situation. My job seems to be safe but I still didn't buy. Many people will be like this with their season tickets.

The cost of living is sky high though, job or not.

I dont want to renew my season book but have a couple of reasons why i should

1 I take my 13 year old nephew (who i encouraged to support Rangers) to the games. If I dont go he doesnt.

2 Blind loyalty to Rangers.

Changes in my working day are about to impact soon and i dont know if I can actually make it to the games on a Saturday, also i dont know if i can afford it either.

I think Blind loyalty will win through at the end of the day whatever happens though its against my better judgement.

There is a great fear of uncertainty, and that's a large part of the problem. You are right in what you say, but when you see companies like RBS almost go under then it causes everybody to worry and virtually nobody can feel very safe in their jobs.

I was going to buy a new flat screen TV at Christmas but didn't through a slightly irrational fear of the economy and the job situation. My job seems to be safe but I still didn't buy. Many people will be like this with their season tickets.

I understand that, but that is EXACTLY why we have a recession - ironically with everyone thinking that way we are causing the axing of our own jobs. It's a vicious circle.

If people just stopped thinking that way we'd have a much shallower and shorter downturn.

The weird thing is that the mass media are constantly encouraging us to save money and cut costs, which while a wise thing in the long run, doing it so quickly and extremely is like going cold turkey on drugs - it can make you very ill, or in this case make the economy very ill.

Cash-flow is king and too many otherwise reasonably healthy companies are struggling in that department.

When your not sure if you'll have a job by the start of the season, thats why you are uncertain if you'll renew

I really can't see them increasing the price no matter how tempting that is to address this season's losses. They already dropped prices for kids and still need the current level of income, so I can't see the price dropping.

A price drop and reduction in numbers of season ticket holders can only drive down the quality and size of the squad. The credit crunch WILL be hitting Rangers and the team WILL suffer as a result. The pressure will come from the banks to reduce our debt - for which we first have to stop making a loss, and also from reduction in income from things like advertising. Setanta may also be thinking about renegotiating the contract while loads of fans cancel their subscriptions as a luxury.

Unfortunately, the EPL still seems to be in a financial bubble which is protecting them from the recession and so there will be no downward pressure on top players wages.

When your not sure if you'll have a job by the start of the season, thats why you are uncertain if you'll renew

That's fair enough. It will probably be easy enough to get tickets for most games on the day next season.

That only works if everyone goes to every home game - which they are more likely to do if they have already paid - and they'll only do that if they get a reduction. The main reason for the increased average attendance from 30K to 49K, is the increased number of season ticket holders.

It's the usual thing about bulk selling but more so with "memberships". Gyms make a fortune from people who pay their dues and rarely turn up. Some people are paying over 100 quid a session...