What's the point? Seriously, why bother? I've lost count of the number of promising young players we sign who then rot in our reserves before disappearing out the door a few years later. Either play them or don't bother.

• 1 month later...
Another two promising players who'll act as bench-warmers at Ibrox.

Cammy F

Excellent, the established players could do with warmer seats when they come off. And very comfy they look now too.

Ally McCoist is well placed to advise them on sitting technique and beverage etiquette.

Oh no, now I get you, it's sarcasm.

Yes, it's a shame they've about as much chance of getting a game as young players like Hutton, Whittaker, Smith, Davis, Thomson, Edu, Fleck, Boyd and Lafferty.

Our team is really groaning with ancient 30 somethings and we really should go back to the successful days under Le Guen when he was the making of young stars such as Martin and Bardsley, and they made us much more competitive than today.

17pts behind after half a season and out of both cups was a great achievement whereas I'm sure our under 19's would improve our dreadful recent record of 5 finals in two seasons, losing the league by a terrible margin on the last day and now struggling by an unbelievably huge one point.

Yes, Walter Smith NEVER plays young players - well under 16's anyway, and should be punished and ridiculed for signing any. He should be encouraged to sign more crowd pleasing players like Dailly who give the fans a right, good, enjoyable reason to moan.

:whistle:

No wonder Walter's fallen out the fans, he just can't win.

Surely we have enough players who don't get a game, ones who collect wages every week.

I agree - we should cut the squad down to 11 players for next season so there's no chance of anyone not getting a game.

Excellent, the established players could do with warmer seats when they come off. And very comfy they look now too.

Ally McCoist is well placed to advise them on sitting technique and beverage etiquette.

Oh no, now I get you, it's sarcasm.

Yes, it's a shame they've about as much chance of getting a game as young players like Hutton, Whittaker, Smith, Davis, Thomson, Edu, Fleck, Boyd and Lafferty.

Our team is really groaning with ancient 30 somethings and we really should go back to the successful days under Le Guen when he was the making of young stars such as Martin and Bardsley, and they made us much more competitive than today.

17pts behind after half a season and out of both cups was a great achievement whereas I'm sure our under 19's would improve our dreadful recent record of 5 finals in two seasons, losing the league by a terrible margin on the last day and now struggling by an unbelievably huge one point.

Yes, Walter Smith NEVER plays young players - well under 16's anyway, and should be punished and ridiculed for signing any. He should be encouraged to sign more crowd pleasing players like Dailly who give the fans a right, good, enjoyable reason to moan.

:whistle:

No wonder Walter's fallen out the fans, he just can't win.

I don't disagree with much of what you write here calscot.

Lets look at the players you mention here though : "Hutton, Whittaker, Smith, Davis, Thomson, Edu, Fleck, Boyd and Lafferty."

Hutton - I give you that one

Whittaker - only got a proper chance when Broadfoot got injured. Played when others were injured.

Smith - been injured to be fair - but has been fit for a large part of this season (I think) and has, again, only been given a chance when others were injured or out-of form.

Davis -yep, give you him.

Thomson - yep, give you him

Edu - only got a chance when Ferguson was banned.

Fleck - got his chance and then came back out of the team - but only played a handful of games.

Boyd - hard to NOT play him to be fair.

Lafferty - was used sparingly and out of position for the most part was he not ?

Even with some of the above who HAVE been playe and properly been given their chance - some were players who WS purchased (Whittaker, Davis, Thomson, Lafferty) and he woudl therefore feel obliged to play them as they were "his" players.

I am not disagreeing with you but merely putting another slant on some of the possible reasons that these players have been given a chance.

There are some promising youngsters in the reserves such as Lowing, Wilson, Little, Lennon etc. Wilson, for instance, is very highly thought of but instead of giving him a chance in the 1st team WS opted for Lee McCulloch to play at CB aside Weir. Now, I am not saying that he SHOULD have got playing time as we are in must-win situations but should we be playing a striker/midfielder at CB ?

What about Aaron ? Maybe he doesnt deserve his chance.... but from the games I have seen him play in he has looked sharp, tries to beat a man, gets a decent ball in and has created goals - yet he has been fleeting in appearance in a position that has caused us problems all season.

WS tries to shoehorn players into his side, mostly determined on whether he bought them or if they have experience, rather than giving some of these kids a chance.

There needs to be a balance between youth and experience but if the experienced players arent doing the job then he should have no fears in putting a youngster in there IF they have the talent to thrive.

There is no doubting though that WS has stuck to some of the seasoned campaigners when they haven't deserved it. That said, it is hard to disagree as we reached the CIS final, are in the SC final and just a point behind in the league with just 5 games to go.

It is a very difficult situation to manage to be fair and not one I envy WS with.