Good Luck Davie Weir - Rangers Captain

Davie Weir is a model professional, still playing at the top of the game as he approaches his 39th Birthday.

Unfortunately for Weir and for Rangers, he came to the club he supported late in his career. He has however still proven to be an exceptional capture. Brought in half way through the season after the failed PLG experiment, alongside Ugo Ehiogu he shored up our defence and was key to Smith steadying the ship.

The following season he formed a formidable partnership with Carlos Cuellar, helping the Spaniard to bed in and become Scotland's POTY. With the depature of King Carlos, fears were renewed over our centre-back pairing and Weir's lack of pace.

Cuellar's replacement, Madjid Bougherra, has again slipped in seamlessly beside the veteran defender. A clear pattern is emerging here and quality players tranistion into Scottish football has obviously been augmented by the steadying influence of Weir.

With another crisis at Ibrox, much like the first where Smith made the rallying call South to the towering defender, Weir has again been pitched into the deep end. 7 games to reclaim the league flag, beginning with a 3 point disadvantage. However, you would be hard pushed to find a player who you would rather have to rally the troops and get the squad all pulling in the right direction.

Weir's professionalism and desire to win is everything you would expect of a Rangers captain and we should be proud to have such a player to turn to to lead the squad in the final push for a league and cup double.

And Weir will not be short of support in the dressing room. Another player with a similar exemplary and professional attitude allied with a great love for this club is Neil Alexander. When he was poached from down south he was first choice keeper at Ipswich Town and battling Gordon and McGregor for the number one jersey at international level.

Alexander gave up his comfortable position at Ipswich for the unenviable challenge of displacing his established international compatriot. Alexander was patient as he waited for his chance. And when McGregor cruelly succumbed to injury, Alexander grabbed it with both hands. His decision to give up his number one status and become back up at Ibrox was vindicated when he played in a UEFA and Scottish Cup final in his first season and cruelly missed out on a league winners medal.

When McGregor was short on form and short on confidence, Alexander again displayed his excellent professionalism as he came in from the cold to again perform admirably. No sulking when he was dropped, he dedicated himself to his training so he was ready when called upon.

Like Weir he has shown his manager and the fans can depend upon him when required. We are fortunate as a club to have two great professionals to turn to in a week of turmoil and I look forward to backing Rangers captain David Weir, Neil Alexander and the rest of the light blues as they lead us to a league and cup double. :rfc:

I'd have given the armband to Davis or Mendes while Thomson is out, but good luck anyway to the new captain. Bring the team together in tough times & win us this spl title... :rfc:

There aren't that many players who are guaranteed first picks now. The list of candidates would have to be restricted to Weir, Bougherra, Papac, Mendes and Davis.

I would say Davis is too young and inconsistent too which will lose him any authority. Papac just isn't captain material. Bougherra is a consistent player but hasn't yet shown any leadership. Mendes looks like the type of guy who just doesn't want the responsibility and that I suppose leaves Weir.

As he's unlike to play next season, it also allows whoever is the manager, to pick a new captain at his leisure without offending someone who has the armband.

There aren't that many players who are guaranteed first picks now. The list of candidates would have to be restricted to Weir, Bougherra, Papac, Mendes and Davis.

I would say Davis is too young and inconsistent too which will lose him any authority. Papac just isn't captain material. Bougherra is a consistent player but hasn't yet shown any leadership. Mendes looks like the type of guy who just doesn't want the responsibility and that I suppose leaves Weir.

As he's unlike to play next season, it also allows whoever is the manager, to pick a new captain at his leisure without offending someone who has the armband.

Agree with that, however Id love to try entice Bougherra to stay and if than means give him the captaincy then so be it. I do think he might be the sort of player who wouldnt perform aswell with the armband though. But he is a key man to keep!

Agree with that, however Id love to try entice Bougherra to stay and if than means give him the captaincy then so be it. I do think he might be the sort of player who wouldnt perform aswell with the armband though. But he is a key man to keep!

But if we were to believe Bougherra's words then he doesnt want to leave anyway. I am inclined to believe him.

The issue of whether Bougherra stays or goes is not his, but SDM and Bain - who no doubt will want the money we will get from a big money offer.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted this after Fergie and Shagger let themselves, their club and their country down in the hope of stirring some positivity about the club. After all the other issues we'd battled through this season and trailing the mhanks, those two players actions just further added to the negativity surrounding the club and chances of success this year.

However it's good to note since officially taking the captaincy til the end of the season Davie Weir has led the club to maximum points.

Here's hoping the big man keeps it going til the end of the season. :rfc:

Starting with Hibs this weekend. 3 more points please Grandfather Time. :D

I'd like to see Davie Weir offered a coaching job of some sort or some role where he can work with younger players and try to change the attitudes to training, diet etc. He's a model pro who has clearly looked after himself, so surely we should be looking to keep guys like him around Ibrox?