You�re a cheat! McLean claims Mendes dived to seal victory for Gers

Motherwell defender Brian McLean has accused Pedro Mendes of diving to win the penalty that sealed a crucial 3-1 win for Rangers at Ibrox on Saturday.

The victory shifted Walter Smith's side to within a point of title rivals Celtic at the top of the SPL, but the Fir Park players were angered by the spot-kick award Kris Boyd tucked away to complete the scoring midway through the second half.

Well goalkeeper Graeme Smith was booked for his complaints after Mendes toppled over McLean's outstretched leg, with the centre-back making it clear he felt referee David Somers had been conned by the Portuguese international.

'A few of us were not happy with the decision. I think there was a wee bit of simulation there by Mendes,' said McLean, a former Rangers reserve.

'It's Ibrox, so you are always up against it - regardless of where you are on the pitch.

'I felt as though I got the ball. All right, my leg was dangling there, but he was already heading towards the floor before I even stuck my foot out. 'It's one of these things.

It's football. You just need to take it on the chin.' McLean claimed the penalty call was a decisive moment, with Motherwell hopeful of capitalising on nerves within the Rangers ranks at 2-1.

Boyd

Kris Boyd slots home Walter Smith's side second goal

The Ibrox side had surrendered a two-goal lead in their last home SPL match, a 2-2 draw with Hearts, and Well were confident of levelling. 'All it would take was a lapse of concentration on their part and we would have been back in the game,' McLean added.

'It's unfortunate the fact the penalty was given but it's one of those things you have to deal with.' Motherwell boss Mark McGhee, however, took a slightly different view.

The Fir Park boss had no complaints over the spot-kick and insisted Mendes had simply acted intelligently. 'It looked a little bit clumsy. Brian just didn't move his feet quickly enough,' said McGhee, whose side are behind sixth-placed Hibs on goal difference.

'He got suckered a little bit. If it had been at the other end, we would have been quite happy with someone going down in a situation like that.' Despite his anger at being penalised by Somers, McLean admitted Motherwell had also been their own worst enemies.

Andrius Velicka and Boyd fired Smith's men 2-0 up after 10 minutes before John Sutton pulled a goal back. 'The defeat is massively disappointing,' said McLean. 'We were quite hopeful about sneaking a point, with Rangers having three games in six days and players injured.

Andrius Velika scores

Andrius Velika bundles it over the line for Gers to keep the pressure on Celtic at the top of the SPL

'It was always going to be tough but, at Ibrox or Parkhead, you need to hold out for 15 minutes and build from there.

Their fans will get on their backs if that happens, but we conceded twice early. 'One of them was a Boyd scorcher and fair play to him. But the first was disappointing.

'Boyd might have been offside when the ball was played in but you must play to the whistle. It was pinball in the box and we didn't deal with it.'

I saw it on Sportcene last night and it looked stonewall to me. As McGhee said if it had happened at the other end he would have been doing a dance. Be a man McLean and admit you made a mistake not a great'n big baby blaming everyone but yourself.

oh here we go the tims will be up in arms because they didn't win at tynecastle, that feckin cheat nakamura had a few funny trips and dodgy free kicks awarded to his team! when they were up against it there solution is to blatently dive and throw them selves to the ground! fuckin cheats!

I thought the penalty was a tad soft and Mendes went down a bit easily - but technically it was definitely a penalty. We've had far less convincing ones given against us and not been given some pretty blatant ones, so it's about time we got a decision, especially when it seems to be the right one.

It looked to me as if he was already going down before the contact, but if McLean was stupid enough to make contact with a player already going down, then tough luck sunshine.

I have not seen it again on tv though, but everyone around me thought it was worthy of at least 9.5

It looked to me as if he was already going down before the contact, but if McLean was stupid enough to make contact with a player already going down, then tough luck sunshine.

I have not seen it again on tv though, but everyone around me thought it was worthy of at least 9.5

It was never as bad as Nakeredmotor for the MOPES, at least there WAS contact

Although Mendes "played" for the penalty there was contact from the defender. Correct decision.

McLean says he thought he got the ball.......he was nowhere near it.

Only in his green tinted wunderland..... cnut!