Ferguson out at least two weeks

Barry Ferguson is likely to miss Rangers' next two games at the very least, but it remains unclear whether he will play again this season.

The deposed captain suffered a calf injury less than two minutes into Tuesday's reserve draw with Hearts at Stirling Albion's Forthbank Stadium and was forced to leave the field.

It was the midfielder's first outing since he and goalkeeper Allan McGregor returned from the two-week suspensions imposed upon them for flicking V-signs at photographers days after indulging in a drinking session while on Scotland duty.

Their antics also saw them banned for life from representing their country.

McGregor was also playing yesterday when Ferguson appeared to hurt himself as he went to make a block tackle on Jambos' winger David Templeton.

He left the ground with strapping around the injury and reserve-team coach Tommy Wilson anticipates he will definitely miss Saturday's Homecoming Scottish Cup semi-final against St Mirren and the following weekend's Clydesdale Bank Premier League clash with Hearts.

Wilson told the Light Blues' official website, http://www.rangers.co.uk: "Barry just felt his calf pop.

"He was really up for the game so I was really disappointed when he had to come off.

"He was desperate to get back to action and has played for me a couple of times in the reserves this season when he was coming back from his ankle injury.

"The doctor has examined him and strapped him up and I think he may have torn a couple of fibres in his calf muscle.

"However long that keeps him out for I'm not sure, but I wouldn't imagine he'll be fit for this weekend or the week after."

I haven't been his biggest fan since he returned from Blackburn (for football reasons ONLY) but surely, regardless of whether the team is playing better without him, we should still be considering him a loss. Far, far better to have a full squad to choose from.

What happens is Edu or Mendes get injured ? You would prefer that we brought McCulloch or Dailly into the CM position rather than BF ?

We have already seen this season that WS won't put Davis in there (who is playing poorly anyway) and has deployed McCulloch there.

From what I see of our options, Ferguson would have been our best option if anything happened to Edu or Mendes and, if either of them were having an off-day, Ferguson would at least be a decent replacement. Who would that replacement be now ?

I don't think it will make a great deal of difference as I couldn't see him getting back in, in any case. Whether that would have been right or wrong is another matter. I just wish Mendes and Davis in particular would be up their game in the absence of their former Captain. Hopefully we'll see this in the next few weeks aheaad

I thought Edu was panicky whenever 2 or more players closed him down against Hibs. At least Ferguson is adept at retaining posession rather than flapping about and surrendering the ball.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Edu's shite or that I don't think he will ever grow into the shirt, just that I'd much rather Ferguson in the middle for the run in. In fact I'd rather Davis in there but we know that ain't happenin.

Answer honestly now : Edu or Barry v celtic in the final OF?

Edu is not up to it yet.

edit: if he's out for the season it's a moot point but I'd like answers none the less :)

Edited by Cotter