No, you were not the only one mate... Not sure what position Davis seems to play in games. He seems to prefer to sit at right back instead of getting forward where he is at his most dangerous.

Gav,

Mendes passing the ball forward is mythical. Sure, he makes the odd pass forward. Look at last night though. Both he and Edu were looking to give the ball to Davis almost as soon as they got it. Takes no responsibility.

I agree with t_r - Mendes flatters to deceive yet, because he has these neat little flicks (which rarely come off), he gets a free ride. Far more so than BF does.

Mendes and BF are very similar players and Mendes doesn't pass the ball forward any more or to greater effect than BF does.

The only difference is that BF actually seems to have some drive and passion about him, whether that is good or bad is another question entirely.

Was I the only one screaming at the tv to stop chipping balls square across the pitch from the middle of the field to Dailly. .

Were you wearing your lucky strippy jumper?? Im sure if he heard you with that on plus the rage look im sure he would have stopped those balls ;)

But its actually tricky for Mendes when you think about it. There wasnt exactly De Boer style runs being made by any other player so he has to go for a different type of pass.

No, you were not the only one mate... Not sure what position Davis seems to play in games. He seems to prefer to sit at right back instead of getting forward where he is at his most dangerous.

There was so much wrong with that, not just Davis not playing on the right. THough that was perhaps our biggest problem.

Mendes continuing to play that square ball to Dailly just inside their half? How many times does it have to not work before you stop doing it.

My wee brother actually asked if Mendes ever even looked left when he ahd the ball.

And Dailly, stop pumping those useless crosses in if they aren't working!

Were you wearing your lucky strippy jumper?? Im sure if he heard you with that on plus the rage look im sure he would have stopped those balls ;)

But its actually tricky for Mendes when you think about it. There wasnt exactly De Boer style runs being made by any other player so he has to go for a different type of pass.

I do concede that point. He needs other players giving them options. But he also has to be aware and look for other balls than the chipped ball to dailly or daft fancy balls that never come off.

No stripey jumpers but plenty of rage. Back staying at my mum's house since uni (temporarily) and twice she came down to have a go at me for having woke her up screaming at the tv. :o

I think we're being a bit harsh on Mendes here. His overall contribution this season probably hasn't been as much as we would have expected, but it's hardly his fault that he set such high standards for himself early on.

Last night he was IMO our best midfielder, which isn't really saying much, but does anyone really think Davis or Edu had a better game? Don't even get me started on Stevie Smith :(

As for Dailly, I have to agree that he's a complete waste of space going forward. Despite their level of experience, both he and Weir are the worst passers of the ball I've ever seen in a Rangers jersey. If it was up to me, the only time either of them would enter the opponents half would be at set pieces.

We had a good few poor performances last night, yet were still the better team by some margin. That doesn't exactly fill me with confidence about Hibs ability to take anything from the MOPES.

...Which brings me on to Boyd. Although he had his worst game for some time last night, it looks like we're really going to need him to get his scoring boots on in the remaining two games.

I think we're being a bit harsh on Mendes here. His overall contribution this season probably hasn't been as much as we would have expected, but it's hardly his fault that he set such high standards for himself early on.

Last night he was IMO our best midfielder, which isn't really saying much, but does anyone really think Davis or Edu had a better game? Don't even get me started on Stevie Smith :(

Sorry 24 hrs after that debacle of a first half I still stand by my OP.

He set such high standards early on? in 1 game.

he has played another 40 odd and he has only had 1 performance showing what he can do. He has been mediocre to poor in the majority of other matches save for a half hour here and 20 minutes there and a few good strikes.

I completely disagree that he was our best midfielder last night the game passed him by in the first half (as it did the rest of the midfield) but in the second half I would say he was the worst out of the four.

Davis although not sticking to his position (which is a serious negative when Dailly was at RB and we needed an out ball) got forward played simple forward passes (not daft weee flicks) and had a good effort on goal saved by their keeper.

Edu as a DM done his job well of getting the ball and passing it to Mendes, Davis, Whittaker or Lafferty. I do not blame him one bit if he got the ball played it simple for mendes only for mendes to make a sideways pass to dailly that edu could have made himself. Edu is there to allow mendes freedom to get forward and play which he didn't do.

Lafferty was technically speaking our LM ( although he was only using LM as a starting positon to become a third forward) for the second half and he done ok got the ball down well and ran at them. he showed that he is not a LM as he all too often drove inside and the fullback began to read it, but for someone playing out of position he still affected the game more than mendes.

The only midfielder that done less in my eyes was Smith and he quite rightly got hooked at HT.

I honestly can't think of one thing Mendes done last night that came off or led to anything of note barring set pieces, and lets be honest if we only need someone for set pieces we could have just kept Smith on the park as his done more damage at Easter rd a few weeks ago.

I know there is no chance of him being dropped for Saturday and all i can hope is that he forces me to come on here and hold my hands up for getting it so wrong about our superstar midfielder but I seriously doubt he will.

Edited by townhead ranger

He set such high standards early on? in 1 game.

Only Weir has played more games than Mendes this season and he certainly hasn't won as many MOTM awards, so going by your logic the standards set by the entire squad this season have been poor.

I completely disagree that he was our best midfielder last night the game passed him by in the first half (as it did the rest of the midfield)

That would be when we completely dominated possession and Hibs took the lead against the run of play? Granted, we were better overall in the 2nd half, but then so was Mendes.

Davis although not sticking to his position (which is a serious negative when Dailly was at RB and we needed an out ball) got forward played simple forward passes (not daft weee flicks).

I can think of 1 occasion in the game where Mendes tried a 'daft wee filck' that didn't come off for him. However, he DID at least stick to his position and was generally competent in his passing of the ball and defensive duties.

So he passed the ball to Dailly a bit too often for our liking. Well, in the first place he didn't put Dailly in the team and secondly, It's not his fault that Dailly was where Davis should have been ....or the other players who were hiding

Lafferty was technically speaking our LM ( although he was only using LM as a starting positon to become a third forward) for the second half and he done ok got the ball down well and ran at them. he showed that he is not a LM as he all too often drove inside and the fullback began to read it, but for someone playing out of position he still affected the game more than mendes.

If you'd just said Smith at the end there I would have agreed with you.

The only midfielder that done less in my eyes was Smith and he quite rightly got hooked at HT.

Oh wait, you did :devil:

I know there is no chance of him being dropped for Saturday and all i can hope is that he forces me to come on here and hold my hands up for getting it so wrong about our superstar midfielder but I seriously doubt he will.

Well at least if things don't work out for us, you'll have something to gloat about. Good thinking there :cheers:

Barry Ferguson showed more in 30 minutes today than Mendes showed in an hour. Yet again Mendes showed no urgency about his play and made very few forward passes.

Ferguson came on, pressured the sheep midfield, tried to break forward, made some forward passes - he did, however, also get in his own players way when he had no right to.

But Ferguson was better in 30 than Mendes was in 60.

The myth that Mendes makes more forward passes than Ferguson was found out today IMO.