The Lafferty incident

I have to say that having seen the replays, that looks worse on the Aberdeen players part than what Cousin was sent off for in the UEFA cup last season.

Though, yet again the Rangers player takes all the blame when in actual fact, everyone involved made a mistake. The Aberdeen player should have been booked for the way he reacted to Lafferty's challenge and Lafferty should have been booked for simulation ...end of story.

Actually the FINAL decision rests with the referee Del.

So, therefore, he could overrule the linesmans judgement if he wanted.

What i found annoying aswell as all the other obvious points about Stuart Dougal, was he was nowhere near that incident.

Where was he? Near the halfway line i think.

:confused:

Of course the final decision rests with the ref, but the linesman was in a far better position and says he saw Bougherra kick the keeper in the face he can't ignore it because it's the best information that he has. He has to go with the linesman.

The ref was running towards the 18 yard box, and although I'm not a ref, he seems to have been in an OK position.

Though, yet again the Rangers player takes all the blame when in actual fact, everyone involved made a mistake. The Aberdeen player should have been booked for the way he reacted to Lafferty's challenge and Lafferty should have been booked for simulation ...end of story.

If the officials had seen what we have all seen now the outcome would have been the other way around. Mulgrew booked for his reaction Lafferty Red carded for cheating. What the hell does he think he is doing winking at the bench? He is making a bigger fool of himself checking to see if he was bleeding!!

I am afraid that is the rules and these can be found at either FIFA or Uefa websites.

The best thing that can happen now is WS to hammer the boy and NOT behind the scenes.

Utter pish cotter.

Lafferty made an arse of himself and of his club. I couldnt give a shit what Celtic players do, I dont want Rangers players feeling they have to cheat to win.

So you think that Lafferty should walk around with his head held high because he delibrately feigned an attack, no assault, and deliberately had a guy sent off ? I cant believe you think that way.

What Lafferty did was an embarrassment to everyone involved in RFC.

Regardless of his age he shouldnt have done it. Regardless of what the Tim players do we should be above it.

He shouldnt have done it, plain and simplE.

Mulgrew may have been stupid to square up to him but the reality is that was allhe did, nothing more..... he shouldnt have expected to be sernt off for squaring up.

In fact, I find it hard to believe any Rangers supporter condining what he did. It is incredulous to think that way.

Utter pish? Incredulous that I should think that way?

Calm yourself mate it's only an opinion, there's lots of them on this site and I'm sorry if mine offends you. I just don't see why we should have to rise above the rest when we're not on a level playing field.

I would prefer simulation wasn't part of football, but it is and even if the Lafferty incident was extreme I still bear him no grudge for playing the game. Your perfect world thinking about what should have happened, i.e two bookings, is hopeful at best, naieve at worst.

If the officials had seen what we have all seen now the outcome would have been the other way around. Mulgrew booked for his reaction Lafferty Red carded for cheating. What the hell does he think he is doing winking at the bench? He is making a bigger fool of himself checking to see if he was bleeding!!

I am afraid that is the rules and these can be found at either FIFA or Uefa websites.

According to the letter of the law (UEFA Disciplinary Regulations), if Lafferty's case is put before a review panel he could get a 'suspension for two competition matches or for a specified period for acting with the obvious intent to cause any match official to make an incorrect decision or supporting his error of judgement and thereby causing him to make an incorrect decision'.

Of course this also applies to other forms of cheating that the likes of McDonald get's away with week in week out.

I'm not condoning what Lafferty did and personally I don't like to see any of our players cheating, but think that the officials need to be even handed in their interpretation of the rules. IMO Lafferty deserved no more than a booking, albeit that it could have been a double booking, taking into account his challenge in the first place.

The red card was harsh, but the simple fact is that Mulgrew reacted by approaching Lafferty and going head to head with him and in doing so was risking being sent off.

Utter pish? Incredulous that I should think that way?

Calm yourself mate it's only an opinion, there's lots of them on this site and I'm sorry if mine offends you. I just don't see why we should have to rise above the rest when we're not on a level playing field.

I would prefer simulation wasn't part of football, but it is and even if the Lafferty incident was extreme I still bear him no grudge for playing the game. Your perfect world thinking about what should have happened, i.e two bookings, is hopeful at best, naieve at worst.

Aye, sorry man, was on the sauce when posting that so a wee bit extreme.

That said I still dont change my opinion that cheating is cheating and, as a Rangers fan, I really dont want to see any of our players trying that. We should have enough to see off Aberdeen at home without cheating.

Cheating is for the Tims, not us.

IMO Lafferty deserved no more than a booking, albeit that it could have been a double booking, taking into account his challenge in the first place.

The red card was harsh, but the simple fact is that Mulgrew reacted by approaching Lafferty and going head to head with him and in doing so was risking being sent off.

I don't think Lafferty's challenge merited a booking in the slightest. Mulgrew totally over-reacted to it.

I think squaring up should be an immediate booking as it's a threat of violence as well as an incitement to violence to the other player, the rest of the players on the pitch and even the crowd. It also sets an incredibly bad example.

The last thing football needs is that kind of latent threat of being assaulted. That kind of behaviour could get us a sacking at work and arrested outside of work and I don't see why it should be condoned.

Why should someone doing his job have to worry about having to defend himself from an attack?

I think it's one of the worst things about Sunday league and so the the last thing we need is professionals acting so unprofessionally.

However, I also think Lafferty was a disgrace and should be ridiculed as being one of the biggest pansy's I've ever seen. Maybe he needs a bodyguard in case he gets hit by a toddler's lollipop or something. He should try acting like a man rather than a pathetic five year old girl.