A question for you. Win everything ugly, or win nowt playing wonderfully!?

There were 2 or 3 performances with great football under Le Guen and that was it. I don't think the ratio of great football games is any worse under Smith.

It should also be remembered that when he left, there was less of a points difference between us and 11th place than us and first place!

There were 2 or 3 performances with great football under Le Guen

One of the best footballing performances I've seen from Rangers in recent years was Le Guen's first league match at Fir Park. Suffice to say things had gone a tad pear shaped by the time we next visited that ground in his last game. We had some real clinical performances in Europe as well under Le Guen.

I'm not going anywhere with this, we were horseshit under Le Guen - it's just I was reminded of that first game at Fir Park when I was convinced we were on the cusp of something great. See where optimism gets you? :sigh:

One of the best footballing performances I've seen from Rangers in recent years was Le Guen's first league match at Fir Park. Suffice to say things had gone a tad pear shaped by the time we next visited that ground in his last game. We had some real clinical performances in Europe as well under Le Guen.

I'm not going anywhere with this, we were horseshit under Le Guen - it's just I was reminded of that first game at Fir Park when I was convinced we were on the cusp of something great. See where optimism gets you? :sigh:

I felt exactly the same way after watching that game that day. Another fantastic performance (at least in my opinion) was when we drew 2-2 at home to Dundee Utd. Strange I would consider it such a fine performance - but if it was not for resolute defending and hitting the woodwork 3 or 4 times as well as some bad misses, we would have stuck 10 past Utd that day.

I felt exactly the same way after watching that game that day. Another fantastic performance (at least in my opinion) was when we drew 2-2 at home to Dundee Utd. Strange I would consider it such a fine performance - but if it was not for resolute defending and hitting the woodwork 3 or 4 times as well as some bad misses, we would have stuck 10 past Utd that day.

Funny you should mention Dundee Utd at home. When Le Guen left and Walter and Ally came in and we cuffed them 5-0 in the first game, I thought we were in for goals galore and attacking football every week....

Given the choice - win ugly, no question.

This question is often put to me by the Smithites in response to my criticism of Walter. Which I have always found strange given the fact he has yet to win an SPL title since returning, playing ugly or not.

That's an incredible accusation. He's only had ONE chance to win it and any reasonable Rangers fan knows why that didn't quite work out.

Criticising a manager for not winning the title in ONE season when he almost won the quadruple but for very unfair circumstances and what could be described as cheating by the opposition shows a pathetic understanding of football.

Talk about glory hunters, this is in the extreme...

If you can't take a season like last season I don't know how you have the cheek to call yourself a fan. That just describes a hanger on who only comes out the woodwork when we win the league.

Walter's worse crime seems to be losing the league on the last day while winning a cup double having a decent CL run by Scottish standards, and getting to the UEFA cup final. That's hardly a complete failure even if you disregard the circumstances.

I really can't stand the ignorance of so-called fans who think if we don't win the league EVERY year then we are failures. NOT ONE team wins every season and I thought we were the best in the world at it - which Walter contributed to.

I really hope you judge your own results so harshly but I find it laughable that you would.

So if we win the league on Sunday, are you going to eat humble pie? I doubt it, you'll be celebrating like you won it singlehandedly yourself. If we lose, I'll bet you'll just be Mr Smug and calling for Walter's head.

Playing supposedly good football has not worked in the slightest for Falkirk and you really have to wonder who we are comparing ourselves to. If it's the top 4 in England, it's patently unfair, if it's the teams we had when we were the richest in the UK, it's still unfair.

I paid �£22 to see MK Dons play Scunthorpe in the playoff semifinal and it was a far worse game than any Rangers game I've seen all season. 0-0 even after extra time with few chances and bugger all good football. For that money I didn't even get to see any internationals unless you count Tore Andre Flo who came on with 10 minutes of extra time to go, played crap and then missed the 9th (!) penalty in the shootout to resign the Dons to League One for another season.

Compared to that, Ibrox is a bargain. It's too much about TV money these days and we just don't have much of it.

In the end it's winning that's important and good football is only a bonus. Falkirk have shown that relegation while playing the ball around is no substitute for winning ugly.

When we are again, snapping up the best players in Europe, THEN maybe we can expect better football, and even then it would be better if we didn't face 8-1-1 formations every week.