Transfer Ins and Outs - Summer 2009

Evening times breaking news says :

Rangers agree fee of �£200,000 with Plymouth for midfielder Alan Gow.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/

I think Rangers are getting ripped off a bit with Adam and Gow.

Wasn't Gow going for around �£750,000k at Xmas?

If not, he is certainly worth that when you consider some of the cart-horses getting flogged around for Millions.

Also,

It just beggars belief sometimes how Rangers are cutting their nose off to spite their face in this transfer market window.

Everyone knows when you win the league that it is a neccesity that you have to strenghthen in order to win more.

I dont mind so much some of the names we have gotten rid of, i.e Dailly, Hendami, Fergie(all big- ish earners), but to bring in NOBODY at all is just asking for us to have a disaster of a season.

I would like for this to be put on record. Because in 6 months time i predict that Rangers will be scurrying around the transfer market trying to Strenghthen their squad in January after finding due to injuries and suspension coupled with the problem of being in 4 competitions and most of their players being in International football, suddenly they find the squad is too weak.

Mark my words.:whistle:

Edited by John Barr

I think Gow's value has dropped dramatically since he failed a medical at Wolves. His reluctance to accept offers also lowers his value. It looks like he's never going to play so it's best to not pay his wages and collect a bit of money for him to cover the wages already paid. The guy has probably cost us nothing now which means we're not throwing good money after bad.

Signing a few players in January is nothing new and pretty normal in my opinion. You don't know what injuries or player needs your going to have half way through the season and so it could be said to be a good tactic. Why guess at the beginning of a season and pay wages for players you don't need?

I think for once Rangers have been pretty up front about the situation, and somehow we actually still seem to have an ok squad compared to some of the lean years. We perhaps need two players, but who we bring in may be dependent on the Celtic v Arsenal tie. It could be the difference between a 2M player and a Bosman.

I think we need to wait till the transfer window is fully closed before we make a final judgment on the squad.

Signing a few players in January is nothing new and pretty normal in my opinion. You don't know what injuries or player needs your going to have half way through the season and so it could be said to be a good tactic. Why guess at the beginning of a season and pay wages for players you don't need?

Every club gets injuries throughout a season. It would be a huge mistake if we never went out and bought at least a couple of players in the positions we need cover ie centre back. If Boogie gets injured we're up shit creek.

Not signing anyone would be a massive risk.

I think Gow's value has dropped dramatically since he failed a medical at Wolves. His reluctance to accept offers also lowers his value. It looks like he's never going to play so it's best to not pay his wages and collect a bit of money for him to cover the wages already paid. The guy has probably cost us nothing now which means we're not throwing good money after bad.

I think for once Rangers have been pretty up front about the situation, and somehow we actually still seem to have an ok squad compared to some of the lean years. We perhaps need two players, but who we bring in may be dependent on the Celtic v Arsenal tie. It could be the difference between a 2M player and a Bosman.

I think we need to wait till the transfer window is fully closed before we make a final judgment on the squad.

Smith made that error last season, i don't want to see him doing it again this season.

Ok, the boot was on the other foot(or however the expression goes):confused:

He waited to see if we got through an easy tie before going into the transfer market.

This time he is waiting to see if Celtic go out the Champs league before going into the transfer market.

I think he is a sly, cunning old fox thinking about doing it this way, but as for last season it blew up in his face in an extravegant manner.

I just hope he doesnt wait too long as i can see the difficulty some teams are having in bringing new players into their clubs, and some of them are better placed than us right now.

Everton are finding it hard to get anyone in and they are financially better off for players than we are right now(although they may be lacking in terms of stadia etc to us).

I just feel he is cutting it fine.

I am prepared to go with him on this, but if he gets it wrong again, he is going to lose a lot of faith.

Smith made that error last season, i don't want to see him doing it again this season.

He waited to see if we got through an easy tie before going into the transfer market.

This time he is waiting to see if Celtic go out the Champs league before going into the transfer market.

I think he is a sly, cunning old fox thinking about doing it this way, but as for last season it blew up in his face in an extravegant manner.

I just hope he doesnt wait too long as i can see the difficulty some teams are having in bringing new players into their clubs, and some of them are better placed than us right now.

Everton are finding it hard to get anyone in and they are financially better off for players than we are right now(although they may be lacking in terms of stadia etc to us).

I am prepared to go with him on this, but if he gets it wrong again, he is going to lose a lot of faith.

I don't think Smith has any say in it. It will be Murray who is dictating matters and will be telling walter that he currently does not have any cash to spend.

Like Cal says, the club have been up front about this. They haven�´t come out and said we will sign someone should Arsenal put sellik out, but that seems to be the consensus among fans.

Smith�´s hands are tied here. He has stated publicly he is aware we are short at the back. If the choice is between getting a Bosman in now and waiting til sellik get put out (which they will) to get a 2M player in then I for one would rather wait. I�´d rather Tonel than a 35 year old.

Everyone knows when you win the league that it is a neccesity that you have to strenghthen in order to win more.

I dont mind so much some of the names we have gotten rid of, i.e Dailly, Hendami, Fergie(all big- ish earners), but to bring in NOBODY at all is just asking for us to have a disaster of a season.

But is it ?

Yes we have lost players but also lets not forget that we had TOO BIG a squad last season. No team needs to carry 28 first team players. ALL of the players (Fergie aside) that have left contributed next to nothing last season.

So we have a squad now which, although depleted in numbers from last season, is a year older (not good with guys like Weir but good for guys like Thomson, Edu etc), have consistency in team selection, have played with each other for a year etc.

I would contend that we are, in fact, not weaker but stronger even given the loss of players. The implicit (consistency, played together, more experience) outweigh the explicit (loss of number of players) factors.

The only thing we do know is that we dont know how it will affect the club :thup:

Every club gets injuries throughout a season. It would be a huge mistake if we never went out and bought at least a couple of players in the positions we need cover ie centre back. If Boogie gets injured we're up shit creek.

Not signing anyone would be a massive risk.

I predict that we will sign a CB before the window closes. Celtic bow out of the CL and a CB WILL be signed. Pretty sure about that.

The other "problem" position is LM but if we go with this 4-3-3 formation then I dont think it will be as much of a problem as it was last season.

Other positions can be covered - WS has gone for versatility in many of his signings and he gets that.

Lets not also forget that it is not a case of WS waiting to see what happens.

There is one simple reason we have not signed anyone - FINANCES. Do I want a CB brought in and a.n.other ? Yes. Do I want them brought in at the potential demise of the club ? No thanks.