The Season That Defines David Weir ?

Davie Meiklejohn 1919-36, 563 apps (12 League titles, 5 Scottish Cups)

George Young 1941-57, 428 apps (6 League titles, 4 Scottish Cups, 2 League Cups)

Bob McPhail 1927-1940, 408 apps 261 goals (9 League titles, 6 Scottish Cups)

John Greig 1961-78, 755 apps (1 ECWC, 5 League titles, 6 Scottish Cups, 4 League Cups)

Ally McCoist 1983-98, 581 apps 355 goals (9 League titles, 1 Scottish Cup, 9 League titles)

Brian Laudrup 1994-98 (God)

I'm a big fan of Davie Weir's, but he doesn't come close to any of the above. And that's no criticism.

"Legend" is bandied about far, far too easily these days.

Put it that way then i can see your point.

But understand mine which i have stated in the past, i am only 18 year old and i know off you guys, my grandpa who was at 72, my dad, my uncle etc on what players they have witnessed play for us, lets be honest the players i have seen are rank rotten compared to them. So when i have witnessed Davie over the last few years, it has been a breath of fresh air

Ally McCoist 1983-98, 581 apps 355 goals (9 League titles, 1 Scottish Cup, 9 League titles)

Ally McCoist only won 1 Scottish Cup during his time at Rangers? :eek:

Ach well, at least he won 18 league titles Norris. ;)

Ally McCoist only won 1 Scottish Cup during his time at Rangers? :eek:

Yip 1992 v Airdrie.

He missed the 1993 cup final with a broken leg and he didnt play in the 5-1 win over Hearts in 96. He did play in 1998 against Hearts (and scored) but we got beat 2-1 that year. The other 2 finals we were involved in during Ally's time was the defeat to Dundee Utd in 1994 (which we should have won to be double treble winners - mix up at the back between Mary McPherson and Ally maxwell) and 1989 when we lost to the mhanks although we had a perfectly good goal chopped off 2 mins after they scored.

Bit quick for that suggestion, he still has another 10 years left in him !

I forgot to mention how he could also be attending another World Cup Finals

Why not consider him as a legend though, at the club for 3 and a half years after this season. I was only growing up during the 9 in a row period, but was Gazza not only at the club for that amount of time ??

I dont rate gascoigne as a legend. his demeanuer off the park was a disgrace to the club. Weir sets an excellent example to everyone at the club and is a credit to us all.

If we win the league this year i would give him legend status.

Gascoine is a legend in my eyes, regardless of his off-field antics. Not often we will be privallaged to see a player of that skill, ability and calibre in a Rangers top. He played looking as if he enjoyed himself while here and seemed to love the club. He brought skill to a level rarely seen here as well as a bit of laughter and fun too....the flute, the yellow card etc, aswell as some fantastic performances and goals.

To be honest i don't class Gazza anywhere near a Rangers Legend. One of the most colourful characters, possibly, but a legend goes too far for me.

Agreed. Gazza was a legendary player who played for Rangers but was never a Rangers legend. IMO, no one should be eligible for the HoF until ten year after they leave the club, to allow their contribution to be assessed more objectively.. I guess it just depends on what each of us means by the term legend.

Agreed. Gazza was a legendary player who played for Rangers but was never a Rangers legend. IMO, no one should be eligible for the HoF until ten year after they leave the club, to allow their contribution to be assessed more objectively.. I guess it just depends on what each of us means by the term legend.

Thats the thing, everyone is entitled to have the OWN legends and the club can have its official list.

Thats the benefit of opinion! Just because the club does or doesnt put someone in the HoF shouldnt take away what a certain player meant to the fan(s).

If Fraser thinks Weir is a legend in HIS opinion then thats great.

Gazza for me is legend.

I'll put this to you while at the same time not sure if I agree with what I'm about to say.

Laudrup is regarded as a legend and rightly so. Apart from Gascoine we had not seen that level of player before (since Cooper IMO). Laudrup is regarde as a legend but WANTED to move to the EPL, Gazza didn't want to leave and showed a love of the club.

Which should be a legend or shoulf they given the short time they were at the club? If Laudrup is rightly a legend then how can Gazza not be?

Tough one to call IMO. Durrant to me is a legend as Id not seen a better midfielder in Scottish football prior to his injury. Brown, only here for a few seasons as a player, but his heart and commitment made him a legend. McCall another in the same mould.

These players were nothing like Laudrup and Gascoine.