Zappa you must be a millionaire betting on all those certainties.

Nobody said anything about certainties pete. What I said was - "that if Burley had played Boyd & Miller up front in a 4-4-2 formation in most of our qualifying games, we'd more than likely be going to South Africa next summer".

Most international managers say if you are not playing for your club you will not be considered.

If it IS indeed the case that you're not playing for your club, then I can understand a player not being considered, but lets get something straight here. George Burley not only got it wrong by not playing Kris Boyd & Kenny Miller up front in some of the games, but he blatantly tried to defend his decision by making out that Boyd didn't deserve to be considered. When asked by Chick Young about his decision to play Iwelumo instead of Kris Boyd immediately after the 0-0 draw with Norway at Hampden last October, Burley said:- "Kris has got to establish himself in the Rangers team, which he hasn't done,". Now I'm sorry, but that not only stinks of Burley trying to divert blame from himself for making poor choices, but also of him needing to stop taking whatever drugs he was using to get high because at that point in time it was early in the season & Kris Boyd was a player who'd scored well over 100 SPL goals, well over 50 goals for Rangers & had scored a double in the Scottish Cup final only months earlier. Yet Burley deemed him as a player who hadn't established himself in the Rangers team?? Utterly cretinous.... Burley thought that a player who'd scored 25 goals for Rangers the season before hadn't established himself in the team? LMFAO!!

Nobody said anything about certainties pete. What I said was - "that if Burley had played Boyd & Miller up front in a 4-4-2 formation in most of our qualifying games, we'd more than likely be going to South Africa next summer".

If it IS indeed the case that you're not playing for your club, then I can understand a player not being considered, but lets get something straight here. George Burley not only got it wrong by not playing Kris Boyd & Kenny Miller up front in some of the games, but he blatantly tried to defend his decision by making out that Boyd didn't deserve to be considered. When asked by Chick Young about his decision to play Iwelumo instead of Kris Boyd immediately after the 0-0 draw with Norway at Hampden last October, Burley said:- "Kris has got to establish himself in the Rangers team, which he hasn't done,". Now I'm sorry, but that not only stinks of Burley trying to divert blame from himself for making poor choices, but also of him needing to stop taking whatever drugs he was using to get high because at that point in time it was early in the season & Kris Boyd was a player who'd scored well over 100 SPL goals, well over 50 goals for Rangers & had scored a double in the Scottish Cup final only months earlier. Yet Burley deemed him as a player who hadn't established himself in the Rangers team?? Utterly cretinous.... Burley thought that a player who'd scored 25 goals for Rangers the season before hadn't established himself in the team? LMFAO!!

Yes i agree with all of the above, and i was also angry that in a game where you need goals, that you don't play your best goalscorer. Crazy! Hopefully Leveign will have learned from Burley's mistakes.

In addition to Zappa's points; Boyd had played in the majority of our games that season. Something like more than 2 thirds.

Iwelumo had not played in weeks due, I think, to suspension.

And Fletcher had some ridiculous stat like only having scored once that calendar year (iirc). He was not established at club or international level. Or at least if he and Iwelumo could be considered established at their clubs; Boyd was a bona fide legend by comparison.

Add in picking the likes of Hutton, Gordon and McFadden regardless of whether or not they were playing club football and you quickly realise it was shite spewing from Burley's mouth.

Just one of numerous times he was easily caught out telling flat out lies or just talking bollocks.

In addition to Zappa's points; Boyd had played in the majority of our games that season. Something like more than 2 thirds.

I don't know the exact stats off the top of my head S_A, but what I do know is that in the early part of last season Walter was trying to give some of the other strikers a run out as well, so he was giving the likes of Lafferty & Velicka a chance, but despite that, Boyd was still getting a game and scored a few goals in that first handful of games of the season before the Norway game at Hampden. There's really no defending Burley's decision not to play Boyd because even in the 07/08 season when Boyd was featuring less due to Darcheville & Cousin getting games, he was still getting as much game time as any of the other Rangers strikers & despite only getting 14 SPL goals that season, he was still the club's top scorer & as I said, he scored a total of 25 goals for us that season in all competitions. Certainly not the mark of a striker who hasn't established himself at his club!

Just one of numerous times he was easily caught out telling flat out lies or just talking bollocks.

Exactly! :thup:

With Craig Levein in the directors' box, Boyd provided the perfect illustration of why his return to international football is so obviously desirable for the new Scotland manager, irrespective of how poorly it may be received by a sizeable constituency of the Tartan Army. Boyd's stock with the Rangers supporters has never been higher and his quickfire pillaging of the United defence had them rocking in the aisles as the stadium PA announcer greeted each goal with a reminder of where it placed the striker in relation to Larsson's SPL benchmark.

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Fivegoal-Boyd-sends-chill-down.5947986.jp

Iwelumo broke the "Beckham bone" in his foot during pre-season or at the start of the season. Maybe he was suspended too though.

Maybe it was injury then. It's not the why that's important though, just the fact he hadn't been playing, only for Burley to ignore Boyd because apparently he wasn't playing either (frankly not true).