Boyd wants to stay at Rangers but he is quite entitled to check out alternatives while the finance is approved/cleared for his new contract.

He's entitled to what he likes, but for such a dyed in the wool bluenose who'd almost die for the club, why do it at all?

It sends out an extremely negative message.

He's entitled to what he likes, but for such a dyed in the wool bluenose who'd almost die for the club, why do it at all?

It sends out an extremely negative message.

Well, if Rangers are unable to offer him a new contract what else is he supposed to do?

I can't speak for Boyd but I don't think any fan would deny him the chance to act on any ambitions he has. I want him to stay but wouldn't expect emotion to be the sole reason. I'd want him to actually want to be here, enjoy his football and keep doing what he does best.

That goes for any player - Rangers fan or not.

I think a lot of people have been very naive lately thinking that once Boyd was offered a new contract, he would be 100% certain to accept it. Villa can offer him European football, double the wages, and a better league. I'm only about 25% confident he'll stay here.

I'm sure Boyd would be tempted by a move South but I'm also sure that if the bank sanction his improved wage he'll be just as tempted as to stay at Rangers.

I'm sure Boyd would be tempted by a move South but I'm also sure that if the bank sanction his improved wage he'll be just as tempted as to stay at Rangers.

Of course he loves the club and won't find it easy to leave but i do think this has been overplayed a lot within our support, especially on FF when i used to post on there. I've seen people say things like "offer Kris Boyd any contract and he'll sign it regardless of wages" or "Kris Boyd never wants to play for any club other than Rangers" which struck me as pretty naive to say the least. Yes he turned down a move to Birmingham but Aston Villa is another step up entirely. I'm not hopeful just now :(

Problem is for him is that while the overall package may be better, he may not feature as much down there so it may be a step back in real terms. That's the gamble for him though and �£35K a week may help soothe the blow of the bench.

As for people suggesting he'd play for next to nothing or or lower wages that the likes of under-performers in the team, well that is naive. Loyalty is all well and good but we all need to keep a roof over our heads...

Villa would be a bad move in that respect as i don't think he'd be a first choice. Regardless of club, O'Neill has always partnered a goalscorer (Tony Cottee at Leicester/Larsson at Celtic/Agbonlahor at Villa) with a brute of a partner (Heskey/Sutton/Hartson/Carew/Heskey again)

Agbonlahor is never dropped and Boyd is certainly not in the Heskey or Carew mould. I think he'd be lucky to start 10 Premiership games all season at Villa.

I hadn't even considered the possibility that he might leave now. If he tells the club he will be joining Villa, we'd probably accept as little as �£250,000 right now if he was definately leaving in the summer anyway. I recall Leeds selling Lee Bowyer to West Ham for �£100,000 in exactly the same situation.

As Boyd is worth more than 250k to us for half a season, there is NO chance of accept that kind of offer. Lee Bowyer may have gone for very little but that must be because the club didn't mind him going.

KB's fee for leaving now will depend on the Rangers board and they can set the price as high as they like. When someone doesn't want to sell, it takes a lot more money to secure your purchase.