Villa would be a bad move in that respect as i don't think he'd be a first choice. Regardless of club, O'Neill has always partnered a goalscorer (Tony Cottee at Leicester/Larsson at Celtic/Agbonlahor at Villa) with a brute of a partner (Heskey/Sutton/Hartson/Carew/Heskey again)

Agbonlahor is never dropped and Boyd is certainly not in the Heskey or Carew mould. I think he'd be lucky to start 10 Premiership games all season at Villa.

Think you got it spot on. Villa seems a strange choice; I could have understood B'ham. It's clear he functions best with Miller as a partner and I can't think where he'd find a similar player to feed off.

As Boyd is worth more than 250k to us for half a season, there is NO chance of accept that kind of offer. Lee Bowyer may have gone for very little but that must be because the club didn't mind him going.

KB's fee for leaving now will depend on the Rangers board and they can set the price as high as they like. When someone doesn't want to sell, it takes a lot more money to secure your purchase.

If Boyd is definately going in the summer and Villa (or whoever) offer a small amount of money to take him earlier, i seriously don't imagine us being that difficult to deal with. I'm definately prepared for the worst over this one but i can't begrudge Boydy this move if he feels he needs a new challenge; he's stayed longer than most players have done in the last ten years

Villa do play with fast wide men though and get plenty of balls into the box,couple that with the vast improvement in Boyds game,I think he may surprise a lot of people and do well IF he signed for Villa. I hope he stays though.

Aston Villa have distanced themselves from reports that they are close to signing Rangers striker Kris Boyd.

It has been claimed Boyd, 26, has spoken to Villa about signing a pre-contract with Martin O'Neill's side but Villa sources today told Press Association Sport that no deal was imminent.

Rangers' top scorer, who is currently injured, has been offered a new contract with the Clydesdale Bank Premier League leaders, with his existing one due to expire in the summer.

He has also been linked with moves to Middlesbrough and Birmingham, with the latter coming close to landing the forward a year ago when talks broke down over personal terms.

Rangers agreed to sell him at that stage due to the club's financial difficulties, but manager Walter Smith has insisted he is under no pressure to offload players.

Smith is keen to tie Boyd up on a longer deal, while assistant Ally McCoist has said the club "would be crazy" not to try to keep him.

Last month saw Boyd break Henrik Larsson's all-time SPL goals record of 158 when he netted five in a 7-1 demolition of Dundee United.

That took his tally to the season to 19 goals, with his partnership with Kenny Miller contributing 31 to Rangers' SPL title bid.

Boyd underwent hernia surgery in Manchester last week and is expected to be out until the middle of next month.

The strike partnership of Boyd and Kenny Miller has produced 31 SPL goals so far this season, with Boyd contributing 19.

from sportinglife.

I've got a pretty short-termist view on this: if Boyd does sign a contract at Villa but doesn't leave until the summer then it's certainly not the worst scenario. Don't get me wrong I'd be gutted whenever he left, but if he's here till the summer we're going to win this league. If not, well I'm not so sure.

Villa are the better club, but faced with a straight choice between the man who brought him to Rangers and O'Neill, I wouldn't be surprised to see him choose the former.

Birmingham are also richer. That said, they're not going to win anything while Villa look even money to win the Carling Cup.

He'd also be reunited with Ferguson and Vignal at Brum, plus national team mates O'Connor. McSheffrey and McFadden.

At Villa he'd be surrounded by tims.