Got to take my hat off to Walter after all

I'm quite baffled and slightly staggered by this post.

I don't see how. You claim Mendes was a failure yet he quite clearly contributed more to the club than Naismith has, and probably ever will

How long can people play the 'he had a bad injury' card with regards to Naismith? It's not like he was magnificent before the injury and it's not like he's just recently back. He's been fit for over a year! I also think Walter has done him a favour by playing him wide as i don't believe he's remotely good enough to play centrally for us given his lack of pace

Edited by Dr Preston Burke

Agree about Alec Cleland by the way, the guy was a perfectly solid player for us for a few years. I've never quite understood why these players continually crop up when discussing our worst players. Henning Berg is another :confused:

Unfashionable and Scottish. Though I can't explain Berg. :confused:

Well let's scrutinise his signings (apologies if I forgot any) since he came back then.

First window (January 2007): Weir, Webster, Ehiogu, Thomson. Out of that lot only Webster failed to achieve anything - the rest all have done a job.

Second (Summer 2007): Naismith, Whittaker, Faye, Cousin, Darcheville, Beasley, McCulloch, Broadfoot, Carroll - of that lot only Faye and Carroll were failures. Beasley and Naismith have been moderate, and the rest have been successes.

Third (January 2008): Davis, Alexander, Dailly - can't think of any others and that lot were fine.

Fourth (Summer 2008): Edu, Velicka, Miller, Lafferty, Bougherra, Mendes. For me personally Mendes was a failure, and Lafferty hasn't been great, but the rest gets the thumbs up, even Velicka who I feel got an unfair ride and did well.

Fifth (January 2009) No one.

Sixth: (Summer 2009) Rothen. A failure but one whose circumstances are mysterious.

No manager will only sign great players - not even SAF who's signed the likes of Kleberson and Miller. But Smith's record in the transfer market really isn't that bad.

You forgot one of Walter's best signings, King Carlos:whistle:

• 2 weeks later...
Since he came back, some of Walter's signings, match tactics and team selections have been nothing short of awful. Who will forget Kaunas? At times he's thoroughly deserved the criticism he's been given.

And yet the old bugger seems to have confounded his critics, myself included, by welding together something we haven't seen at Ibrox for many a long day - a team, a genuine Rangers team. He's turned dorks like Lee McCulloch and Steven Whittaker into players who regularly contribute to winning game after game. Fukk me, he's nearly turned Kenny Miller into a footballer.

But more than anything else, he's done what every good Rangers manager has to do, he has totally dominated celtic. He's got them in total disarray, destroyed their self-belief, reduced them to howling in the wind like the dogs they are. I don't know how he does it but he's done it twice now and that requires recognition and credit. I think it's something to do with him being truly committed to the cause, just like the rest of us.

In times to come, I think I'll look back on this time and remember that Walter Smith gave us back our pride. If this is to be his last season then his is starting to look like an important chapter in the story of Rangers.

It probably goes without saying that I'm glad I posted the quoted words before yesterday's cup final. However, the 9-man win over St Mirren showed real character and no one other than Walter Smith is to thank for that.

It probably goes without saying that I'm glad I posted the quoted words before yesterday's cup final. However, the 9-man win over St Mirren showed real character and no one other than Walter Smith is to thank for that.

Can I get wednesdays lottery numbers please maineflyer :):):)

4, 16, 17, 36, 39, 44

But ffs keep it to yourself.

You do realise I am going to have to put these on now , dont you .

Could you not just have left a smart arse comment , you swine :whistle:

You do realise I am going to have to put these on now , dont you .

Could you not just have left a smart arse comment , you swine :whistle:

I know what you mean, it would be hard to handle if they came up. Thing is, they are as good as any other numbers, so why not.

Although, if you go down the same route as some people's criticism of Walter you might be saying, "Those numbers were gash: if I'd made up my own numbers I definitely would have won." :devil:

You forgot one of Walter's best signings, King Carlos:whistle:

Agree he was one of his best signings, but it's telling that 4 pages in and plenty of folk replying and no one else bar you remembered him.

Cuellar did a dirty on us and that's sadly what I will always remember him for. Hence why I've forgotten him.