Gers plan swoop for former Don...

Gers plan swoop

for former Don

EXCLUSIVE By Ron Scott

LEE MILLER is poised for a surprise transfer to Rangers.

Although the 27-year-old striker has struggled to make an impact since joining Middlesbrough from Aberdeen in January, Walter Smith�s admiration for the player has not waned.

With the Light Blues manager admitting he�s no chance of keeping record-scorer Kris Boyd, Miller is already on the radar to become his first signing for almost two years.

The three-times-capped Miller has previously played for Falkirk, Bristol City, Hearts, Dundee United and Aberdeen, with over �£1 million changing hands.

Middlesbrough manager Gordon Strachan landed him for just �£500,000 at the end of the winter transfer window, due to the fact his contract only had a few months remaining.

Miller has never been a prolific scorer, and is a completely different type of player to Boyd. But Smith views his aerial power and link-up play as attributes to form a strong partnership with existing striker Kenny Miller.

Smith first tried to sign his target from Aberdeen two years ago, not long after Rangers lost the UEFA Cup Final to Zenit St Petersburg.

But he was 24 hours too late. By the time Smith made his move, Miller had signed a new contract and Rangers didn�t have the money for a transfer fee.

With Miller unlikely to cost any more than Middlesbrough paid for him, Rangers are now in a position to stump up after striking a new deal with Lloyds� Bank a few days ago.

Craig Conway is also on Rangersâ�� radar. But the Dundee United winger is still under contract and United will require more than �£500,000 before they are tempted to sell.

The Ibrox boss has long bemoaned the fact he doesn�t have a natural winger. Instead he�s had to use Steve Davis, Stevie Naismith and Kyle Lafferty out wide when this is clearly not their natural position.

silly season we'll be linked to everyone in the next few weeks i'm sure............

Funny you mention silly season, I was looking at Beckham being linked to West Ham today and thought - How good would it be be get Becks in a Rangers shirt! Not the best player in the world by a long stretch but for some reason he would just be perfect on the right of our midfield. (if he takes a 80% wage drop of course).

Jeezo silly season is most definitely underway. I have to say I prefer the old favourites like 'Alan Smith for Ibrox' and 'Robbie Fowler at Glasgow Airport' I suppose at least this summer we are actually getting 'linked' with players. Last year we were linked with absolutely no one and signed no one. I think that was about the first time in my lifetime that had happened

Messi says his auntie likes our fitba, maybe she could have a word with him in our favour.

We can't get away from Turkey's just now, talk of Boydy going, and of us signing another one, so be it..

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/rangers/2010/05/30/rangers-goal-machine-kris-boyd-edges-closer-to-turkish-move-after-phonecall-from-boss-shota-arveladze-86908-22296753/

Edited by wabashcannonball