Boyd agrees Boro move

I'd rather be playing Forest away (or some of the other teams you mention) than playing Hamilton, ICT, St.Mirren, Killie and teams like that, but although there's some average teams in the Championship as well, even the better non-OF clubs in the SPL would struggle in the Championship.

and would you rather go to Hull, Scunthorpe, preston, burnley and barnsley?

Did you miss the sentence where I acknowledged that there's some average teams in the Championship? Despite that fact, I think it's also worth taking into account that there's twice as many teams in that league compared to our 12, so going by the laws of average there should be twice as many poorer teams. Are there? Genuine question btw! Compare the teams if you want - I haven't. What I do know is that average Championship attendances overall are several thousand higher than the SPL's. They also have a decent average standard of stadium size, which it wouldn't surprise me at all if it turned out to be higher on average than the SPL's. ;)

Guest Northampton_loyalist

Did you miss the sentence where I acknowledged that there's some average teams in the Championship? Despite that fact, I think it's also worth taking into account that there's twice as many teams in that league compared to our 12, so going by the laws of average there should be twice as many poorer teams. Are there? Genuine question btw! Compare the teams if you want - I haven't. What I do know is that average Championship attendances overall are several thousand higher than the SPL's. They also have a decent average standard of stadium size, which it wouldn't surprise me at all if it turned out to be higher on average than the SPL's. ;)

I didnt miss it, but you cant say you would rather go to x y and z down there rather than x y and z up here and just give a 'few average teams/places' as a qualifier. There are not just 'some average teams' in the championship, there are some dull and downright 'shite' teams in the championship, sides that have sat around the 17th-18th place mark pretty much since the league was founded. The places I named were named for the shiteyness of the area rather than the team. If we were naming shitey teams the list would run far longer. The championship is, in fairness, a competitive league. You have a couple of rich teams, typically those with parachute paynments from the EPL and a whole host of bland, boring, turgid and uninspiring teams. As far as entertainment goes, there is very little and a Falkirk-Killie game is far more likely to entertain than 90% of equitable matches in the championship; you could maybe expand that to the EPL too.

The thing that needs to be remembered is that the championship is a rich league in it's own right, but the step up to the next level is so vast that teams will not, with a few notable exceptions, try to play innovative football. They will, on the whole, play basic, percentages football with a flat back 4 and a 'busy' midfield. The cost of losing is too high and the rewards for taking a chance are so difficult to achieve

The attendances are higher because individual cities in England contain more people on their own than the entire population of Scotland. Northampton, a team that could be ranked up there with the worst of the 'bad' teams in English football has a population of 205k. to put that in perspective, Motherwell has 30k. It stands to reason that standard demographics will dictate higher attendances and that is factoring in the fact that while English towns contribute plenty of support to 'big' teams such as Liverpool and Manchester United, that trend is far more definitive in Scotland.

case in point;

Barnsley, population, 73k, stadium capacity, 23k, average attendance, 13k

Motherwell, population 30k, stadium capacity 13k, average 5.3k

Barnsley's stadium holds up to 32% of the town's population and averaged 18% of the town's population in attendance.

Motherwell's stadium holds up to 43% of the town's population and averaged 18% of the towns population in attendance.

While Barnsley obviously saw double the amount of people through the door, the fan per person of population was pretty much identical.

I chose those two at random but I guess if you did the same for any sides it would come out at similar figures.

Total SPL attendance, 2009-10: 3172758.......Total EPL attendance, 2009-10: 12977252 ... The Championship kept its place as the league with the fourth-highest attendance in Europe with a total of more than 9.9m fans, ...

izzat no amazin, stats danm lies ma da is bigger than yours an aw that, ..:onetoomany:

Total SPL attendance, 2009-10: 3172758.......Total EPL attendance, 2009-10: 12977252 ... The Championship kept its place as the league with the fourth-highest attendance in Europe with a total of more than 9.9m fans, ...

izzat no amazin, stats danm lies ma da is bigger than yours an aw that, ..:onetoomany:

It is true you can make statistics say pretty much anything you want :). The interesting thing there for me is Scotland's average attendance is about 50% or so of the total population, Englands is 20% or so*.

The attendance arguement is worthless when comparing teams. A higher attendance across leagues means nothing more than more people watching the games. You cant in any way argue that a league is 'better' because more people watch it on it's own. More often that not more people watch because there are more people too watch.

*VERY rough figures, but right ball park and only comparing top league in country.

It is true you can make statistics say pretty much anything you want :). The interesting thing there for me is Scotland's average attendance is about 50% or so of the total population, Englands is 20% or so*.

The attendance arguement is worthless when comparing teams. A higher attendance across leagues means nothing more than more people watching the games. You cant in any way argue that a league is 'better' because more people watch it on it's own. More often that not more people watch because there are more people too watch.

*VERY rough figures, but right ball park and only comparing top league in country.

100% of fek all is fek all...a 100% or even 10% of absolute squillions is a fekin lot, figures supplied curtesy of Ladbrokes...:cheers::rfc:

PS ...ra street wiz busy after the Walk....:rfc:

100% of fek all is fek all...a 100% or even 10% of absolute squillions is a fekin lot, figures supplied curtesy of Ladbrokes...:cheers::rfc:

PS ...ra street wiz busy after the Walk....:rfc:

No kidding. Some twat was at Irvine for a dirty weekend with the missus and decided to drive back today only to find himself in a feck off queue to get to his house...:whistle:

No kidding. Some twat was at Irvine for a dirty weekend with the missus and decided to drive back today only to find himself in a feck off queue to get to his house...:whistle:

You would have been better parkin up an walkin hame wi' the Purple heroes........Irvine whit fekin class....:)

You would have been better parkin up an walkin hame wi' the Purple heroes........Irvine whit fekin class....:)

Not only irvine, we drove by Saltcoats and Ardrossan, up past the power station and had a fry up in Largs this morning!! The things you do.

Back to the point, the championship is pish by and large, and no amount of 'but more people watch it' will change that :D

I didnt miss it, but you cant say you would rather go to x y and z down there rather than x y and z up here and just give a 'few average teams/places' as a qualifier. There are not just 'some average teams' in the championship, there are some dull and downright 'shite' teams in the championship, sides that have sat around the 17th-18th place mark pretty much since the league was founded. The places I named were named for the shiteyness of the area rather than the team. If we were naming shitey teams the list would run far longer. The championship is, in fairness, a competitive league. You have a couple of rich teams, typically those with parachute paynments from the EPL and a whole host of bland, boring, turgid and uninspiring teams. As far as entertainment goes, there is very little and a Falkirk-Killie game is far more likely to entertain than 90% of equitable matches in the championship; you could maybe expand that to the EPL too.

The thing that needs to be remembered is that the championship is a rich league in it's own right, but the step up to the next level is so vast that teams will not, with a few notable exceptions, try to play innovative football. They will, on the whole, play basic, percentages football with a flat back 4 and a 'busy' midfield. The cost of losing is too high and the rewards for taking a chance are so difficult to achieve

The attendances are higher because individual cities in England contain more people on their own than the entire population of Scotland. Northampton, a team that could be ranked up there with the worst of the 'bad' teams in English football has a population of 205k. to put that in perspective, Motherwell has 30k. It stands to reason that standard demographics will dictate higher attendances and that is factoring in the fact that while English towns contribute plenty of support to 'big' teams such as Liverpool and Manchester United, that trend is far more definitive in Scotland.

Mate, I see your points, but the Old Firm basically make the SPL and if you take them out of it, then compare our league to the Championship what have you got? I'll tell you... you've got the Championship having bigger stadiums, bigger supports and undoubtedly better football over the coarse of a season. The SPL is at best like the bottom half of the Championship with a couple of decent, but not great EPL teams in it.