Boyd agrees Boro move

Guest Flying Hippo

I'd imagine the length of the contract is for 2 reasons; a fear of not settling in England and not wanting to have a long contract that stops Rangers (or Celtic, perhaps) from affording him, and because Middlesbrough are skint and can't afford to have a �£25,000 a week player on more than a 2 year deal

Guest Northampton_loyalist

Lifted from FF so not sure on what paper it is in*, but fuck me, talk about burning your bridges.

I couldn't understand his rationale for moving there but kind of figured it was his bed to make and lie in, so no harm no foul, distasteful as it might be surrounding himself with several of the other persuasion. But with comments like this I am rapidly heading the other way. He can hold any view he likes, but 'big mick'? what is that all about?

*Edit, Scottish sun

KRIS BOYD has begged former Old Firm foe Stephen McManus to join him at Middlesbrough.

Striker Boyd finally sealed his big-money move to Gordon Strachan's Boro yesterday after penning a two-year, �£28,000-a-week deal.

The former Rangers hitman knows ex-Celtic skipper Mick is edging closer to following him to the Riverside and urged him to head south.

He said: "Hopefully it can be sorted out in the next couple of days and big Mick can be down here too.

I've played against him in Old Firm games and I know how hard he makes it for strikers.

"He would be a great addition to the squad and hopefully would help take us where we want to be.

"We want to be playing in the Premier League and the gaffer is putting together a squad to get us there.

"Mick's only 27 and, for a centre-half, is coming into his best years.

"He has achieved some great things in his career. He has captained Celtic and Scotland and he's proud of that.

"He has never let anybody down and it would be great to get him on board at Middlesbrough."

McManus could be given permission to speak to Boro today and seal a move to Teesside, where he spent the second half of last season on loan after falling out of Tony Mowbray's plans.

New Hoops gaffer Neil Lennon - a former team-mate of McManus - brought him back for pre-season training last week.

But big Mick only has a year left on his Celts deal and will move if the clubs broker a �£1.8million deal.

Hoops chief executive Peter Lawwell is expected to re-open talks with Boro counterpart Keith Lamb this morning.

Boro boss Strachan said: "Obviously we'd like to do our transfer business as quickly as possible.

"There will be big changes to the squad. I need to get men behind me who want to win every game and it's not easy finding them.

"When you've got the squad you want, you get down to the nitty gritty."

Guest Flying Hippo

As hard as it is for fans to accept, Rangers and Celtic players are often very pally, especially those who play for the same national team. I remember McManus being asked once what he'd do if a Rangers player walked into his boozer and he said he'd buy him a pint

As hard as it is for fans to accept, Rangers and Celtic players are often very pally, especially those who play for the same national team. I remember McManus being asked once what he'd do if a Rangers player walked into his boozer and he said he'd buy him a pint

Its not about him being pally with someone, that is his business. it is about him leaving us for dross and immediately bigging up a player from our biggest enemy in a gutter rag. For a Rangers fan to be so out of touch is poor, but for him to not stop and think for a second about the people who paid for his big move is scadelous IMO.

Guest Flying Hippo
Its not about him being pally with someone, that is his business. it is about him leaving us for dross and immediately bigging up a player from our biggest enemy in a gutter rag. For a Rangers fan to be so out of touch is poor, but for him to not stop and think for a second about the people who paid for his big move is scadelous IMO.

Just wait until he celebrates his first girl with a big hug from Fatty McDonald and Alice Dingle Robson :(

Just wait until he celebrates his first girl with a big hug from Fatty McDonald and Alice Dingle Robson :(

The thought is not a nice one.

As said, I was ok with him going. I think it was a poor choice of club for him but at the end of the day if he prefers a few k extra then that is his business, but there was absolutely no need for those comments in the sun. There are all sorts of arguements about maybe getting to the prem or maybe getting another big move, the bottom line is he has left his 'boyhood' hero's for a team going nowhere and seen fit to big up a player prety much all Rangers fans hate. At best he is thick as fuck and at worst he simply doesnt care, either way, 'good luck, dont come back' is the attitude I now have towards him.

I think he's just bigging up a potential colleague as you would expect anyone to do. If a reporter asks him "would you like to see stephen at wherever" he's not going to say "No, he's shit and i still consider him an enemy".

Yep, decent move by him - also if he doesnt like it... or misses Rangers... then he could come back on a Bosman IF the club wanted him.

Rangers wouldn't be able to afford his wages if he did decide to come back home and I doubt he'd accept a pay cut as he joined a shit team purely for financial reasons.