Boyd agrees Boro move

I don't know where people are getting the impression that Middlesbrough are a shite club. Ok, they've taken a bit of a slump in recent seasons, but it's a good club with a good history that can get back into the EPL and stay there. The club was formed only 3 or 4 years after Rangers and has had some of the football legends on their books over the years, both as players and managers. Despite the slump and relegation I think the club will bounce back. FWIW, I think it's a better club than Birmingham. Don't forget that 2 years before our UEFA Cup final in Manchester, Middlesbrough were playing Sevilla in the final in Holland after a similarly tough run to our own. Ok, so it's not as good a club as Rangers, but it's not 'shite' IMO. If you say Cousin left Rangers for a 'shite' club, then I wouldn't argue.

In recent times the level of the Championship varies to suit fans opinions of players and clubs in it, particualrly in relation to ours to be honest.

Regardless of opinion of the club itself, the move does smack of a lack of ambition from Boyd no matter which way you spin it. Birmingham had a fantastic season and while some were slagging them off as a club for being relegation favourites etc, there was a feeling that McLeish was putting something special together. It could have been a great move for him imo.

I know the Turkish thing was written off as being about the money, but at Boyd's age it could also have been the making of him, even if he just went out for a year or two, being exposed to a completely different culture on and off the pitch would have improved him.

On the other hand, maybe Strachan has sold him on the club and the fact he could be playing in the Premier League next season, but the whole thing just seems to have played out like a really damp squib in the end compared to the opportunities he had and was rumoured to have.

Guest Flying Hippo
I don't know where people are getting the impression that Middlesbrough are a shite club. Ok, they've taken a bit of a slump in recent seasons, but it's a good club with a good history that can get back into the EPL and stay there. The club was formed only 3 or 4 years after Rangers and has had some of the football legends on their books over the years, both as players and managers. Despite the slump and relegation I think the club will bounce back. FWIW, I think it's a better club than Birmingham. Don't forget that 2 years before our UEFA Cup final in Manchester, Middlesbrough were playing Sevilla in the final in Holland after a similarly tough run to our own. Ok, so it's not as good a club as Rangers, but it's not 'shite' IMO. If you say Cousin left Rangers for a 'shite' club, then I wouldn't argue.

Even when they were in the Premiership, they were a nothing club. They had 2 good seasons under McClaren where they qualified for Europe but other than that, virtually every single season from 1995 onwards they finished in the bottom half of the table. They didn't even fill their stadium in the EPL

We are the most successful club in the world. Middlesbrough have won one trophy in their entire history!

In recent times the level of the Championship varies to suit fans opinions of players and clubs in it, particualrly in relation to ours to be honest.

Regardless of opinion of the club itself, the move does smack of a lack of ambition from Boyd no matter which way you spin it. Birmingham had a fantastic season and while some were slagging them off as a club for being relegation favourites etc, there was a feeling that McLeish was putting something special together. It could have been a great move for him imo.

I know the Turkish thing was written off as being about the money, but at Boyd's age it could also have been the making of him, even if he just went out for a year or two, being exposed to a completely different culture on and off the pitch would have improved him.

On the other hand, maybe Strachan has sold him on the club and the fact he could be playing in the Premier League next season, but the whole thing just seems to have played out like a really damp squib in the end compared to the opportunities he had and was rumoured to have.

Taking your wife and kids(if he has them) to a country with such big cultural and social differences is very difficult, even for a few years. While Boyd would be at training his wife would be stuck at home not being able to talk to anyone. The kids would need to go to a Turkish school or have a tutor keeping them within the 4 walls of his house

Believe me I know how difficult it is to move to a country with a different language and I didn't have the cultural differences to overcome, he would have faced. He may have got through it being involved at the club but it would have been a hell for his wife.

Guest Flying Hippo
Taking your wife and kids(if he has them) to a country with such big cultural and social differences is very difficult, even for a few years. While Boyd would be at training his wife would be stuck at home not being able to talk to anyone. The kids would need to go to a Turkish school or have a tutor keeping them within the 4 walls of his house

Believe me I know how difficult it is to move to a country with a different language and I didn't have the cultural differences to overcome, he would have faced. He may have got through it being involved at the club but it would have been a hell for his wife.

Luckily the folks of Middlesbrough are amongst the most eloquent in the land

Areet wor Boydy son. Canny goal Saturday bonny lad.

Even when they were in the Premiership, they were a nothing club. They had 2 good seasons under McClaren where they qualified for Europe but other than that, virtually every single season from 1995 onwards they finished in the bottom half of the table. They didn't even fill their stadium in the EPL

We are the most successful club in the world. Middlesbrough have won one trophy in their entire history!

Obviously there's no comparison between Middlesbrough and Rangers, but that's not the point I was trying to make. I just don't think the club is 'shite' like some of you guys appear to be making out. It's a club that's had a roller-coaster ride over the decades with good times and bad times, but it's not a shite club. Yes, it's a step down from Rangers as a club, but probably a step up in overall quality of league and while they're playing in the Championship at the moment, there's no doubt that Middlesbrough is a Premiership standard club that WILL get back up.

You're going on about Boyd refusing the move to Birmingham and costing us almost �£4m in transfer fee, but as has been mentioned by quite a few people here, we won 4 trophies after Boyd decided to stay and whether you like it or not, Boyd DID contribute to us winning that silverware, so I don't care about the rejected Brum move. It's history.

Boyd enjoyed some great years at Rangers scoring goals, winning medals & breaking records. He was given the chance to play and score for his country mainly due to his goal scoring record for us. He's certainly come a long way since his Killie days & playing for Middlesborough (even in the Championship) is definitely a big step up from playing for Kilmarnock....

Guest Flying Hippo

I wonder if folks would be quite so forgiving if Kenny Miller or Kyle Lafferty rejected a �£3.75 million move, sat tight until his contract ran out, then left for free

I guess you'll say Boyd earned the right to be 'forgiven' - Maybe you're right. Hmm.

I wonder if folks would be quite so forgiving if Kenny Miller or Kyle Lafferty rejected a �£3.75 million move, sat tight until his contract ran out, then left for free

I guess you'll say Boyd earned the right to be 'forgiven' - Maybe you're right. Hmm.

I've said this a few times - I personally think that it's highly likely Boyd was asked or advised to stay from within the club. I've got no proof of this, but I doubt that Walter & Ally had a say in the acceptance of Brum's offer. The club needed the cash and they were told to go along with it IMO, but that doesn't mean that one or both of them didn't have a quiet word with Boyd and ask him to stay... We'll never know!

Of course it can be difficult, but unless you give it a go, who's to know how it will turn out? it doesn't have to be like that scenario either, but there's always been stories from the start that Boyd didn't want to move far away from home. Maybe its one of those things that he may regret passing over when he's older.