Will be interesting to see if we go for someone like Eagles, or someone from another Scottish club instead which would surely be a cheaper option.

I don't see how we'll be able to afford the wages of Eagles if a team like Bolton is interested...

Although I had high hopes for thomson at rangers before his injury I think we have an able replacement in mo edu, thomson had his injury problems and he was always prone to diving in and picking up needless bookings and in my opinion edu is just as gritty and just as good if not better with the ball at his feet, and another plus is smith will be forced to play Davis in his rightful posistion in the middle of the park! As fir the rumours in the sun newspaper I would be delighted to use the thomson money to by eagles, he is a player we havnt had in a while, someone who will scream for the ball and run at players all day, puts in good deliverys and can chip in with a few goals!

Agree with this, id have Edu in the the team next to Davis ahead of Thomson.

The most corcerning thing for me is that our squad number is dropping lower and lower with no better or even equivalent replacement coming in. It would seem WS's plans are to have Davis, Edu, McCulloch and Fleck as his central options - thats not bad but low in numbers.

Eagles wouldnt be a bad shout and to be honest we are desperate for width.

In some ways it might make the selection process easier for Walter and he can give Edu a run in the middle with Davis alongside him. Edu needs a good run of games to establish himself and improve. I always got the impression that Walter didn't quite know how to fit everyone in to the midfield without playing one or more out of position.

Like Gribz says, the squad is dropping in size, as many have rumoured would happen for some time now.

I can see both sides of the Thomson argument and obviously we don't know all the details, but it still smacks of short-termism to sell him for 2M given his age.

A positive look on the Thomson transfer in the ET...

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/walter-smith-eyes-1m-swoop-for-chris-eagles-1.1041068

Rangers could land signing target Chris Eagles for half the money they bank from selling Kevin Thomson to Middlesbrough.

Walter Smith is already lining up a move for the Burnley midfielder and hopes to make him the club’s first summer signing.

Eagles could be signed for around �£1m from the Championship side as he is into the last year of his contract at Turf Moor.

He has also been forced to take a hit in wages due to a clause in his contract that stated they would be reduced should Burnley be relegated from the Premier League, as they were last season.

The Ibrox manager wants to deploy the former Manchester United star on the right of midfield, which would allow him to push Steven Davis inside to the middle of the park and fill the void left by Thomson’s imminent departure to The Riverside.

With Lee McCulloch and Maurice Edu vying for central midfield slots, Smith sanctioned the sale of Thommo after Boro tabled a �£2m bid for the Scotland international, who was entering the final year of his contract and would have been available on a Bosman this time next year.

Thomson was today holding contract talks and is likely to go for a medical and become Gordon Strachan’s latest Old Firm recruit after he snapped up Kris Boyd last week.

Smith is hoping to beat off competition for Eagles’ signature ahead of Sunderland and Bolton.

A Rangers insider revealed: “Thomson was entering the final year of his contract and the money he was looking for to commit to a new contract was more than Rangers could offer him so it made sense to sell him.

“Plus, the manager is pretty well off for midfielders who can play in the middle of the park and if this now allows him to land someone like Eagles, who started off at Manchester United and has played in the English Premier League, then it is good business.”

Thomson is the fifth player to leave Rangers since the end of last season with Nacho Novo moving to Sporting Gijon on a free, Stevie Smith doing the same by joining Norwich City and DaMarcus Beasley also being released.

Smith still hopes to target a player to play wide on the left of midfield if he lands Eagles for the opposite side.

Dundee United’s Chris Conway has been linked with a possible move to the SPL champions.

He also wants to land another striker to compete with Kenny Miller and Kyle Lafferty for a position in attack, although he does hope to see more from both Steven Naismith and John Fleck this season as well.

I liked Thomson when he actually played well, but tbh when you're working with a small squad, I'd imagine that the last thing you want is to have injury-prone players. That'll be why Beasley was let go too, so I'm going to have to be balanced about this and say that I think it's a reasonably sensible move to take the �£2m now and hopefully add at least some of it to this summer's transfer kitty, especially when you consider what we got for Fergie, Adam & Mendes.

Guest Guivarc'h

Where has this idea come from that Thommo is injury prone? He had one bad long term injury but has barely missed a game otherwise. Edu is much more prone to injuries.