Not as criminal as selling Fergie & Adam for a combined total of �£2m !!

What does that matter ?

So selling Thomson is OK just because it was worse we sold BF and CA for the same combined fee ?

I think people are forgetting how tough things are for us as a selling club atm because of our financial problems being so public. Clubs aren't just going to take pity on us and offer us top dollar for our players, especially when most clubs are in a similar boat financially. Almost every club these days has to be careful with their pennies and if it means virtually robbing another cash-strapped club in need of cash, then most clubs will take that option and get as much as they can for their money. They days of selling a Hutton for �£9m are now in the distant past unfortunately. In an ideal world, we'd be looking for �£3.5m or �£4m for Danny Wilson given his obvious talent, but there's absolutely no chance we'll get it. Tbh, I'm a bit surprised the club knocked back Liverpool's reported �£2m offer, but not disappointed obviously. As for Bougherra, again, in an ideal world we should be looking to get maybe 5 or 6 million for him, but in today's market we've got absolutely no chance of getting that when clubs probably know they could have a 3 to 4 million offer accepted.

What does that matter ?

So selling Thomson is OK just because it was worse we sold BF and CA for the same combined fee ?

That's not what I said craig. You're putting words in my mouth!

Basically, I think the club have done the right thing accepting the offer. We've had some good service from the guy and we've managed to recoup our initial outlay of �£2m when he only has a year left on his contract. In fact if we hadn't sold him this summer, he could even have signed a free deal in January. Don't forget that we paid as much for him in the first place because he was on a long-term contract at Easter Road.

I only mentioned Adam & Fergie because we only got �£2m for them BOTH & IMO when you take that into consideration along with all the other necessary factors including the financial & ownership issues at Rangers, getting a couple of million for Thomson at this moment in time doesn't seem too bad to me.

I DID like Thomson as a player, but nobody is irreplaceable. Our top goal scorer of the past several years just left on a free transfer FFS.

What everyone seems to remember is that this years Scottish Champions get direct entry into next years C/l and we know what that's worth , but yet again short sighted management will possibly leave us with far too much of a disadvantage and then we all know what the consequences of that will be .

I used to laugh at the notion that we were being run on a 7-10 day business plan , but the more things transpire the more that it is obviously the case

Sorry I am wrong this years winners get to play a very easy qualifier from countries 16th and above , and we will definetly be seeded , appologies if any confusion

Edited by rbr

What everyone seems to remember is that this years Scottish Champions get direct entry into next years C/l and we know what that's worth , but yet again short sighted management will possibly leave us with far too much of a disadvantage and then we all know what the consequences of that will be .

Even if we could go out and spend 15 million on players, there's still no guarantee that we'd make it out of the CL group stage or progress far in the Europa league. We're simply not in a position to 'speculate to accumulate' or in other words - gamble.

Even if we could go out and spend 15 million on players, there's still no guarantee that we'd make it out of the CL group stage or progress far in the Europa league. We're simply not in a position to 'speculate to accumulate' or in other words - gamble.

It is the speculate to accumulate method that has got us where we were today with Minty's borrowed millions so you can understand the aversion to risk. Trouble is, the same aversion is now eroding our playing staff more quickly than before. The gamble I see is that we are hoping to bring in players with wages at rates which are cheaper and cheaper, whilst hoping we retain the same/similar domestic success. I worry that we have gone too far this time.

There is a difference between gambling and simply keeping a squad that is capable of contesting a championship , remember we are away 4 or 5 games right after c/l weeks , and most teams drop points after these games , we simply dont have a squad capable of contesting this title , I realise it's early days yet but the hard work is done now and we all expect more players to leave , what is worse we all probably expect us to be scrambling about for players with a couple of days to go

There is a difference between gambling and simply keeping a squad that is capable of contesting a championship , remember we are away 4 or 5 games right after c/l weeks , and most teams drop points after these games , we simply dont have a squad capable of contesting this title , I realise it's early days yet but the hard work is done now and we all expect more players to leave , what is worse we all probably expect us to be scrambling about for players with a couple of days to go

I don't completely agree that we don't have a squad capable of contesting this title because we're still strong all over the park with the exception of having lost Boyd and Novo, so I think if we can get a pacy and versatile winger of the right caliber to replace the job Novo was doing, we'd be fine. A goal scorer to replace Boyd would be great as well, but I've got my doubts that we'll buy one because I think the management and a lot of fans want to give Lafferty a fair chance up front.

I don't completely agree that we don't have a squad capable of contesting this title because we're still strong all over the park with the exception of having lost Boyd and Novo, so I think if we can get a pacy and versatile winger of the right caliber to replace the job Novo was doing, we'd be fine. A goal scorer to replace Boyd would be great as well, but I've got my doubts that we'll buy one because I think the management and a lot of fans want to give Lafferty a fair chance up front.

We dont have strikers that will score consistently , and without that you dont win games , draws will kill us next year .

We are top heavy with defenders , just about able to cover center mid , no width and very questionable up front AT THE MOMENT . This will be a long seaso and I am even debating whether it's worth paying for C/L football , as I dont take out my bond seat , the only time I may be inside Ibrox will be the AGM