So, the Jig is in for a wee while longer..

Guest Flying Hippo
He didnt want to go, indications are Thommo did. All that has happened is we have signed a good contributer on a longer deal. It wont be costing us any more money.

It certainly wasn't the case in May when Thomson said he wanted to stay at Rangers for the rest of his career and wanted to start contract talks asap. Then Walter tells us that he wanted Thomson to stay but we couldn't afford to offer him a new contract only for McCulloch to get one two weeks later? It's all made up as we go along. There's no plan here

McCulloch improved last season as the games went on and had a few good games in the midfield.

I sense that once a player reaches the 30 mark they appreicate what they have more and dont jump ship like a few other so called players who were supposedly been happy at Ibrox.

McCulloch isnt my favourtie player but I think he will be quite important this season as long as he isnt centre half. Id like to see him pay further forward again, his best games for Wigan, Scotland and his first since months at Rangers were easily as an attacking left midfielder.

Novo scored a rake of important goals but his contribution was best described as patchy, and at worst poor. We have plenty of cover up front and not so much in the middle of the park.

I found myself agreeing with a lot of your post. But not that bit. Novo's contribution was only patchy when his manager's use of him was patchy.

Novo is one of the best value for money signings we've had in years.

Oh and i think that pretty much establishes who are new captain is going to be once Davie Weir retires

McCulloch would be an ideal captain. I for one hope when Weir does retire McCulloch is given the captains armband.

I found myself agreeing with a lot of your post. But not that bit. Novo's contribution was only patchy when his manager's use of him was patchy.

Novo is one of the best value for money signings we've had in years.

Smiths "patchy" use of goalscorers was most evident in big games that he didn't want to give away the point we started with.

McCulloch had a decent season last year - he certainly made more of a contribution than players who come in for far less criticism.

In saying that, I find a 3 year contract astonishing unless it is structured in such a way that his pay reduces suitably each season. Having come from Wigan on a decent wage (surely around �£15K p/week), I'd be very disappointed if we've offered an average utility player the same basic until he's 35 years old.

As for Thomson, well he's a player I liked and was disappointed he left. However, while he publicly said he wanted to stay, whose to say what was happening behind closed doors? Maybe he wanted a wage increase in line with what a team like Boro would offer him?

Fact is we do need continuity in the team amidst several players leaving. I appreciate McCulloch isn't everyone's cup of tea but I think he provides an under-rated contribution and is someone who has never hidden his love/commitment for the club while others have been less than straight. Keeping him maintains that continuity, keeps a Rangers man in the team and will hopefully see his confidence rise as any uncertainty about his future is removed.

McCulloch had a decent season last year - he certainly made more of a contribution than players who come in for far less criticism.

In saying that, I find a 3 year contract astonishing unless it is structured in such a way that his pay reduces suitably each season. Having come from Wigan on a decent wage (surely around �£15K p/week), I'd be very disappointed if we've offered an average utility player the same basic until he's 35 years old.

As for Thomson, well he's a player I liked and was disappointed he left. However, while he publicly said he wanted to stay, whose to say what was happening behind closed doors? Maybe he wanted a wage increase in line with what a team like Boro would offer him?

Fact is we do need continuity in the team amidst several players leaving. I appreciate McCulloch isn't everyone's cup of tea but I think he provides an under-rated contribution and is someone who has never hidden his love/commitment for the club while others have been less than straight. Keeping him maintains that continuity, keeps a Rangers man in the team and will hopefully see his confidence rise as any uncertainty about his future is removed.

Frankie while i agree wi some of what you say i cannot for the life of me believe that he will hav agreed a contract wher his wages drop year by year,also i agree that last season he was one of our better performers the seasons before that he was rank rotten.:(

Frankie while i agree wi some of what you say i cannot for the life of me believe that he will hav agreed a contract wher his wages drop year by year,also i agree that last season he was one of our better performers the seasons before that he was rank rotten.:(

I doubt it as well mate which makes it a bit of a strange one.