I can see where the OP's comments are coming from, however, the season has only just started and traditionally we're slow starters and in particular, we only ever get going in the second half of games.

Our second half performances have been better. Hibs was our first decent test and we came threw it with some good football in the last 20 minutes.

United, after Hamilton, is our next big test and by then the season will be five games old and I'll expect us to be sharper.

Don't really see the problem atall..yes we aren't playing brilliantly but if you look at last season or the season before we always do. If that is down to Sir Walter or not I do not know but what I do know is that we will pick it up in the next month.

I'd rather we played like that every week and win the next 35 games bringing home 3IAR than playing better and losing(as we have seen in recent seasons we have played better and got beat).

Last season the next 3 games we drew 0-0 in the league and I don't see us doing that season so I'm positive.

As for Beattie it has been said that we are going to have to give him at least 5-6 games. He is playing in a team that already have had 5-6 games to get their match sharpness up.

Guest Flying Hippo
I will say it now rather than later, Beattie won't cut it. A panic buy, when Smith realised that he had lost his top scorer, only he should have done his homework better. Beattie has scored 55 goals in the last 5 seasons.

Smith knew he'd lost his top scorer last January. Boyd has already stated that he agreed terms with Middlesbrough back then. Unless of course he deliberately misled the club and his manager

Edited by Flying Hippo

Smith knew he'd lost his top scorer last January. Boyd has already stated that he agreed terms with Middlesbrough back then. Unless of course he deliberately misled the club and his manager

Whatever, 55 goals in 5 seasons is far from striker rate, Smith signed him as what...a centre-half, panic buy wasted money...again, hope he proves me wrong. But to me he looks as if he would rather be somewhere else.

Guest Flying Hippo
Whatever, 55 goals in 5 seasons is far from striker rate, Smith signed him as what...a centre-half, panic buy wasted money...again, hope he proves me wrong. But to me he looks as if he would rather be somewhere else.

Wasted money because he hasn't scored in 3 games? How many goals has Boyd scored in his first 5 games for Middlesbrough?

Guest Flying Hippo
Nothing quite like a knee jerk reaction. Beattie will score more for us than Boyd will for Boro.

Not particularly on this board, but i've seen numerous folk itching to slaughter Beattie from the moment he signed. Was so obvious that if he didn't score in his first few games there'd be reactions like this

You can't always take a players stats as the be-all-n-end-all. Beattie's 55 goals in 5 seasons that you're barking on about not being good enough, a 'panic buy wasted money' (in your words), is actually a better domestic league goal strike-rate than Kenny Miller had over a full 7 seasons between leaving us in 2001 & returning in 2008. It's better than Kenny's record over 5 seasons at Wolves where he was getting more than enough of a chance to score plenty goals, but didn't really score that many. Well under 1 in 3 actually!

My point is that Miller has severely improved his goal scoring since coming back here & there's nothing to suggest that Beattie can't start banging in some goals for us either. Perhaps not that much to suggest he will, but the season's only just started and he's already had a few chances & shown that he might just come good. It's hard to say this early and definitely way OTT to say that he was a waste of money.