Motivation, I am traditional enough to believe that pulling on the jersey is all the motivation that one should need.

There is something sadly lacking in the application of the team on the park, yesterday they looked as if they had just met at a blind man's party.

The team looked as it has on many occasions bereft of ideas, and dare I say it bewildered, by whatever tactics they were deemed to be using, deja vu about the failed 10IAR season springs to mind.

Even this early in his Rangers career, Beattie makes Boyd look like Alan Wells on rocket fuel, I can see some serious problems arising if matters are not resolved and quickly.

One thing we can be certain of, is that our young players will be very unlikely to be given the opportunity to help address such problems.

It is very early in the season, but prevention is always better than cure, it depends on what measures Walter takes with the patient.

although we are not playing that brilliantly at the moment i do like the way we are trying to play the game. the long punt up the park has vanished and has been replaced by by a more organised passing game. Naismith and miller in particular seem to benefit from this change in style as both have been standouts in recent weeks.

For most part though we seem to play in second gear and do just enough to win the game. yesterday it took a goal from st johnstone to give us a kick up the arse and last week it was boughy clearing off the line. that said on both occasions we did in fact pick up the pace and scored some quality goals on the way.

I am much happier as a fan with our style of play. I have been smiths biggest critic over the last couple of years were the standard of football is concerned and can see a vast improvement this season. players are starting to shine again in the team and there is an element of entertainment too. its only 3 games into the season and we will improve.

agree about beattie. looks a total waste of money. i just dont see what he brings to the team. has had very little influence so far.

although we are not playing that brilliantly at the moment i do like the way we are trying to play the game. the long punt up the park has vanished and has been replaced by by a more organised passing game. Naismith and miller in particular seem to benefit from this change in style as both have been standouts in recent weeks.

For most part though we seem to play in second gear and do just enough to win the game. yesterday it took a goal from st johnstone to give us a kick up the arse and last week it was boughy clearing off the line. that said on both occasions we did in fact pick up the pace and scored some quality goals on the way.

I am much happier as a fan with our style of play. I have been smiths biggest critic over the last couple of years were the standard of football is concerned and can see a vast improvement this season. players are starting to shine again in the team and there is an element of entertainment too. its only 3 games into the season and we will improve.

agree about beattie. looks a total waste of money. i just dont see what he brings to the team. has had very little influence so far.

The long punt will return, we have a 6' 3" target man to hit now.

Motivation, I am traditional enough to believe that pulling on the jersey is all the motivation that one should need.

There is something sadly lacking in the application of the team on the park, yesterday they looked as if they had just met at a blind man's party.

The team looked as it has on many occasions bereft of ideas, and dare I say it bewildered, by whatever tactics they were deemed to be using, deja vu about the failed 10IAR season springs to mind.

Even this early in his Rangers career, Beattie makes Boyd look like Alan Wells on rocket fuel, I can see some serious problems arising if matters are not resolved and quickly.

One thing we can be certain of, is that our young players will be very unlikely to be given the opportunity to help address such problems.

It is very early in the season, but prevention is always better than cure, it depends on what measures Walter takes with the patient.

You're spot on and even Walter seemed to acknowledge as much in his post-match comments - although he'd be better sorting it out than making public statements about it. Hopefully he's got a remedy in mind.

What does concern me is that this team has been prone to these lapses over each of the last few seasons and certain players seem incapable of maintaining their own momentum. It suggests to me we lack the right kind of leadership within the squad.

I believe we will need the best possible start to this season if we're to come out ahead next May. Feenian FC will pull together a run before too long and we look pretty threadbare for a long campaign if I'm honest.

Beattie looks an absolute shambles of a player. Could have got Stokes for similar money.

Stokes? Jeezo, what next? A triumphant return to Scottish football for Aiden McGeady as he walks up the marble staircase?

We are sadly short in centre midfield, most teams pass around our 2 in the centre of the park. They always have plenty of space, while our players are always man marked when they receive the ball.

We had a decent pre-season with a good result against an EPL team, playing with 3 in the centre mid. We have now added another 2 strikers, so except for Europe, we will probably play 4-4-2 in the SPL.

So I would say it's not all down to motivation, being overrun in midfield doesn't help.

Guest Flying Hippo
Beattie looks an absolute shambles of a player. Could have got Stokes for similar money.

No Irish catholic would join us if Celtic wanted him. Most wouldn't even contemplate it regardless

Guest Flying Hippo
But not because of the reaction of Rangers fans, the real problem for him would come from his own bog-born kind.

Indeed. It would be another Miller situation with our fans with the vast majority being either positive about it or simply apathetic

Just wait until he was playing for the Free State or at the Piggerie though. Wasn't it Alan Maybury who ironically played at Ibrox yesterday who once said that he was regularly abused in his home town because he had a trial at Rangers?