Rangers 2 - 1 St Johnstone: Player Ratings and MoM Poll

You are just being silly now.

You don't think the previous manager's performance and relationship with the players would have had a positive influence on McLeish's reign?

Of course it may not have been a major factor but it arguably would have eased the transition into the job rather than hindered it.

You don't think the previous manager's performance and relationship with the players would have had a positive influence on McLeish's reign?

Of course it may not have been a major factor but it arguably would have eased the transition into the job rather than hindered it.

What I don't think is that WS should be the assinged oil for every success from Alex McLeish to Halfords bikes.

Big Eck has better percentages than WS at both Rangers and Scotland, and at Rangers with a lot less money, but he did manage to spend some of it on Boyd.

The Kirn Cup is an extremely hotly contested tournament, apart from that famous trophy win, two 1-0 doins by France, but the victories were ours and knocked out of everything qucker than glass jawed Joe.

I do believe you could be fishing, no joy here, I am a Scot Symon man to the soles of my polished Oxfords.

We beat France 1-0 at Hampden and you're undermining it?

Incredible!

What I don't think is that WS should be the assinged oil for every success from Alex McLeish to Halfords bikes.

Big Eck has better percentages than WS at both Rangers and Scotland, and at Rangers with a lot less money, but he did manage to spend some of it on Boyd.

Eck cannot possibly plead poverty for 5 out of the 6 trophies he won. How about the �£6M for Arteta for a start? Not only that he inherited the likes of Klos, De Boer, Lovenkrands and Ricksen - about �£14M worth of talent there. Once the finances started to bite he won one trophy in three seasons.

I admire what Eck did but even ignoring the value of the squads two narrow leagues out of four with two massive losses and a third place does not compare favourably with two well won titles out of three with the other one cheated from us at the last minute.

Eck earned about 45 points less than Celtic over 4.5 years so I can't see how that can be made to look better than earning about 11 more in 3.5 years.

6 trophies out of a possible 14 also doesn't look as good as 6 out of possible 9, never mind the one that was stolen.

There may be some kind of statistical manipulation that will show Eck to have been better but it just doesn't bare true when looked at qualitatively.

It's a pretty antagonistic and insulting post. All it does is invite reasons to lessen the achievements of a decent manager, who didn't cope well with a lower budget, and who did not show the same ability as the current manager.

Eck started of great with a very expensive team and then didn't do so well with less money. The money may have been less than Rangers are used to but he still had far more than Hearts, who we finished behind.

In contrast, Walter has competed in the league every season he's managed Rangers, whether he's had money or not, and still won a league and cup double without signing a player for two years.

You could argue that Walter's worst season was to win nothing and lose the league by two points. In arguably his second worst season he was cheated out of the title by 3 points, won both cups and got to the UEFA final.

All other seasons he's won the league bar one where he started 17 points behind and ended up only losing the league by 8 points.

I would prefer not to talk about Eck's worst two seasons.

Eck cannot possibly plead poverty for 5 out of the 6 trophies he won. How about the �£6M for Arteta for a start? Not only that he inherited the likes of Klos, De Boer, Lovenkrands and Ricksen - about �£14M worth of talent there. Once the finances started to bite he won one trophy in three seasons.

I admire what Eck did but even ignoring the value of the squads two narrow leagues out of four with two massive losses and a third place does not compare favourably with two well won titles out of three with the other one cheated from us at the last minute.

Eck earned about 45 points less than Celtic over 4.5 years so I can't see how that can be made to look better than earning about 11 more in 3.5 years.

6 trophies out of a possible 14 also doesn't look as good as 6 out of possible 9, never mind the one that was stolen.

There may be some kind of statistical manipulation that will show Eck to have been better but it just doesn't bare true when looked at qualitatively.

It's a pretty antagonistic and insulting post. All it does is invite reasons to lessen the achievements of a decent manager, who didn't cope well with a lower budget, and who did not show the same ability as the current manager.

Eck started of great with a very expensive team and then didn't do so well with less money. The money may have been less than Rangers are used to but he still had far more than Hearts, who we finished behind.

In contrast, Walter has competed in the league every season he's managed Rangers, whether he's had money or not, and still won a league and cup double without signing a player for two years.

You could argue that Walter's worst season was to win nothing and lose the league by two points. In arguably his second worst season he was cheated out of the title by 3 points, won both cups and got to the UEFA final.

All other seasons he's won the league bar one where he started 17 points behind and ended up only losing the league by 8 points.

I would prefer not to talk about Eck's worst two seasons.

I don't make the stats I just quote them, you still don't appear to have grasped that your granny would have managed to win 10 in a row in this piss poor league, all the cards and the money were stacked in our favour.

With no disrespect to big Eck I, for one, find it hard to believe that he would have had the "success" he had without having had the luxury of Walter doing the donkey work before him. Eck took Walter's good work and basically stuck with what was already done by WS.

I am not trying to taint Eck's tenure, not at all, but I doubt that he would have been able to have done the job WS did had he been the one to follow Vogts.

With all respect you are being a bit disrespectful to him! We had two very good international managers, that's all. WS had as much to do with us beating France away as AM had when we beat France at home. Rediculous comment mate

With all respect you are being a bit disrespectful to him! We had two very good international managers, that's all. WS had as much to do with us beating France away as AM had when we beat France at home. Rediculous comment mate

Disagree here. I think when McLeish started to alter the team and tactics from Walters, that's when thi gs started to go downhill. Without Walter, the results in Paris and at home tp the Ukraine wouldn't have happened.

I don't make the stats I just quote them, you still don't appear to have grasped that your granny would have managed to win 10 in a row in this piss poor league, all the cards and the money were stacked in our favour.

How about the last two seasons then when the money was most definitely NOT stacked in our favour ?

I know this may seem personal to you my man but it isnt.

Show me where I said that Eck was a bad manager for Scotland ? You cant. And you know that I have defended Eck's record as Gers manager as well - so I find it a touch insulting that you are putting words into my mouth.

Please try to read what I posted, not what you think I posted.

I said that I doubt that Eck would have had the same success as he did have were it not for the foundation blocks put down by Smith and the reinstalling of national pride. I dont think it is unreasonable to suggest that the foundation was put there by Smith and Eck reaped some reward in that.

At no point, none whatsoever, did I suggest Eck was anything but a good manager both for club and country - but I maintain that I personally doubt that he would have been able to have that same level of success had he been the one to replace Vogts.

If you think that is being disrespectful then so be it - but I dont think an opinion on it is being disrespectful.