I think I'll offer to do the job at half the salary. Apart from the obvious saving to the club, we would immediately improve gate receipts by converting most of the press seats for use by paying fans.:)

Sounds good to me - I suggest proposing that at the club AGM next month! :cool:

Bain's fortunes are linked to the income generated by the club. A couple of years ago he earned a huge wad when we got to the UEFA final, the year after (Kaunas) his earnings were way down, and this year, with the CL money, he earns more.

I disagree entirely that his contract has huge bonus elements attached to it that are really only earned if we make the CL group stages, of which he has very little influence, and I find it even more galling that in a year where our manager and coaches worked on without a contract (and therefore any pay rise), and players were told there was no money for pay rises, and there have been savage cuts all over the club, that he had the balls to accept the bonus element of his salary, which runs into hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Perhaps waiving the bonus element and showing solidarity with the rest of the staff at the club would have been a far better move.

Perhaps waiving the bonus element and showing solidarity with the rest of the staff at the club would have been a far better move.

I was going to suggest this too. But looking at our accounts for the last while, a massive amount has been paid out to players in the form of bonuses, so where do you draw the line?

We have to hope that our finances are now being run prudently, to the point where we're living comfortably within our means. Which I thought we were, but then you have AJ coming out a few days ago suggesting this isn't the case, particularly if we don't qualify for the CL and make it through the qualifiers.

That's the most worrying thing I've heard in a long time. I thought our whole new business plan and budget were based on us not having CL football, so if we did, that was a bonus so to speak.

Edited by ascender

I was going to suggest this too. But looking at our accounts for the last while, a massive amount has been paid out to players in the form of bonuses, so where do you draw the line?

Scrap bonuses and make them live in the real world, i.e. earn what they are paid to do, time and motion men put paid to bonus systems in many industries, fitba players can thank their lucky stars they have been protected from them.

I am outraged at the lack of sympathy for Martin expressed on these pages.

Martin has a bijou vineyard in close proximity to SDM's far larger interest in the fruit of the vine. His slope is south east facing and this would normally be a good thing. However, the soil is a mixture of limestone, shale, and occasional clay. Martin is attempting to produce a big spicy vin rouge, whereas the Provence region is historically a Rose producing area.

Martin cannot turn his slope around to face north, and all that limestone retains the heat, the Mistral does not help either, and then there's the micro climate emanating from being sandwiched between the Rhone savage and the Alps .......................................... Zut Alors!

Improving the terwa of a bijou vineyard costs lots of dosh.

We should be more understanding. Martin might be the next big thing from Bellet AOC.