Rangers 1 : 1 Valencia - Player Ratings and MoM Poll

I thought Foster looked shaky but came on to an excellent game both defending and attacking. I think its also a bit harsh that the papers are describing his chance as an open goal. Bougherra looked to be back to his best and Papac was very good.

All things considered, it has to be :rf: I think.

I cant give it to Foster just because of that miss, that at the time I thought was a difficult angle and I was sticking up for him until I seen it on tv when I got home, a shocker indeed. He also was skinned a few times in the first 10 mins and was a shaky start to the game from him (understandable of course). Was well impressed with his performance overall though.

Bougherra for me defended well (mostly) and was a growing influence as an extra attacker as the second half went on. He just shades it ahead of Naismith, who although the best player cant get MOTM for his 2 really good chances that he missed.

Edu was another candidate, but his OG plus a shaky start when he got caught in possession a lot and gave the ball away with loose passes had me cringing early on.

Weir was fantastic, read the game well, was well protected of course, and a great foul gave away near the end when Valencia had a good break on.

McGregor had a couple of good saves, but one amazing clanger that fortunately didnt cost us.

Papac was solid at the back, covered for his team-mates when he had to, and did his job without fuss as we have come to expect.

Davis was outstanding at times and also caught on the ball often as well. A few good passes and tackles in a really tough midfield area filled with real quality from the Spanish but we held our own in there.

Weiss played well, with his defensive responsibilites actually holding him back at times. He had been told that the reason he wasnt picked at OT or v the Turks was that he didnt defend well enough. He looked to be trying to prove he has learned this side of the game under Walter, but sometimes we were crying out for him to be the release ball.

Whittaker did well with some good mazy runs, but too predictable at this level for a team of such quality and they picked him off quite easily at times. Defended well.

That only leaves Misser, who continues to prove my theory a lot better than my words alone that he is not good enough for either the role he is asked to play at this level, or indeed to play at this level at all. Another absolute stinker from him, and the sitter from Edu's post-hitting shot should haunt him for the rest of his life. Ten CL matches now with no goals, how much longer can we continue to ignore this fact and continue to play him?

Overall I was delighted with the performance, and satisfied enough with the result, which I would have accepted gladly pre-match but like others am slightly disappointed with after creating so many fantastic chances to put the game away. On another night we could have had 5 or 6 goals against a top 3 Spanish side who couldn't cope with the pace of our play when we got the ball.

Read that last sentence again. Can you believe it? I know I am still trying to work it out myself.

I saw some people saying Foster had a great game before I watched the match last night. I thought he did well enough given how worried we were about his inclusion - but you really cant forget that he also had some terrible, terrible passes that you wouldn't recommend to schoolboys - he played one across to Weir which was never getting there and left Weir exposed.

Bougherra did a fine job but I am going with Stefanovich and :sp: - though he had a great game. Assured at the back and almost scored TWICE - not bad for a centre half.....

Re Weiss - I agree with both Pete AND Frankie. I dont think Frankie was necessarily saying Weiss had a good game but that he was impressed by his commitment to his defensive duties. The problem for Weiss is that he is being asked to defend but has a natural instinct to beat people - so even when defending he wants to go past people instead of just putting it out the park. A few times he got us into tricky situations - but I also was very impressed with his willingness to defend too. And he still managed to be very dangerous going forward.

Re Foster - he did have a good game, no denying it - but I also felt that Valencia rarely attacked down our right hand side. Mathieu (or whomever it was) wasnt that great and they seemed to use Bruno on the other side a bit more. That said he did look assured, and he was ever more willing to overlap down that right flank.

Edited by craig

Our biggest problems on nights such as last night is that we try and play a type of football that is dramatically different from our weekly offerings , passes must be crisper and faster , runs must be covered and anticipation through out the 90 minutes must be spot on .

We are not used to having to play this way , that's why results and more importantly performances such as last nights are so enjoyable , and they must give the whole team such a confidence boost going into any game .

They also have the look of a proper team about them , and it was good to see them giving their team mates pelters for playing the wrong pass or delaying too much when an opportunity arose , we might just might be onto a special season here

Weiss also gives us a different sort of outlet that we've not had in a very long time. He's got so much pace & energy, that he'll keep trying to go past players, cut inside and make something happen. As well as causing difficulties for the opposition, it can also take the pressure off us from a defensive point of view too.