Spiers upto his old tricks again!

Taken from his Twitter site....

"I applaud Our Brave Boys. But this blatant and aggressive "hijacking" of the poppy is one of the most offensive Old Firm charades in years."
Edited by Gazza_8

Not sure why he uses "old firm" but it's a blatant attempt to try and deflect from the fact that he leaked Walter's off-the-record briefing last week.

Interesting that he finds it offensive.

Will the club now have the balls to ban this nonentity?

Spiers warblings last week had me in somewhat of a lather, he wrote a piece about the Gween Bwigade and managed to include a line about, 'Rangers cannot wait to get the Army on the pitch in full regalia'.

As someone who spent over a dozen years replete in Disruptive Patterned Material, we called it a UNIFORM. I have NEVER heard any of the UNIFORMS decreed necessary to the task in hand ie Number 1 Dress, Numbers 2 Dress(ceremonial), Mess Dress, Blue Patrols, Combats, Lightweight Fatigues, Barrack Dress, .................... etc EVER referred to as 'Regalia'.

Of course, Spiers knew what he was doing, the picture he was painting by incorporating that word. Soldiers have families, soldiers have relationships, and soldiers have sensitivities too. I suspect often during their six month operational tours of the several countries they are currently conducting a most professional approach, their minds turn to back home? The provision of an opportunity to walk on to a pitch and be applauded by an appreciative audience might be a veneer of comfort that gets them through another day in the most trying of circumstances? Spiers useage of 'regalia' is an attempt to conjure up an image that others will use to demonise those not deserving of the attentions of the odious corduroy creep.

"In this whole depressing Poppy debate around the Old Firm, I sometimes find that the people I pity most are Martin Bain, the Rangers chief executive, and Peter Lawwell, his counterpart at Celtic.

Bain is a man I ordinarily like and admire. I am convinced he is a thoroughly decent football executive who wants the best for Rangers FC. I also think he is a modernist: he genuinely wants to drag the medieval elements among his club’s support into the modern age. He craves a better image for Rangers and despairs at the reputation of his club’s support across Britain.

But Bain is caught between a rock and a hard place. He wants improvement and toils after it, but on the other hand, he has an internet brigade on his case every day bawling “tradition, tradition” in the dubious manner in which that word is often used at Ibrox. The uncomfortable truth is that there are too many Rangers fans he dare not cross on that score.

The re-emergence of the offensive Billy Boys chant — a song specifically banned by Uefa, for which Rangers have already been censured — is a case in point. It is steadily making a comeback, sung by hordes of Rangers fans, yet what has the club’s chief executive had to say about it publicly? Despite the obvious backsliding going on, I am hard-pressed to think of a single, specific condemnatory remark Bain has made on the subject recently. Why? Because he feels he has too many people to disavow.

Then we come to this insulting Poppy business. I wear the humble Poppy and I wear it fairly proudly. Having said that, I respect the right of those who, for good reason, feel that they don’t want to wear one. I disagree with them, but I am not going to get all militant about it.

What we have a distinct whiff of here is this. Celtic FC and Lawwell have a problem with the Poppy — there is a vocal minority among their support who object to it. Culturally, Celtic are different from Rangers in this regard and, my goodness, haven’t some people at Rangers fairly cottoned on to this?

So in the past week we’ve had this “in your face” Poppyism from some Rangers fans. It’s almost aggressive the way it is presented. For many it is an excuse for a bit of point-scoring over the other side. This is so transparent that it is almost laughable, were it not so insulting.

About Rangers’ aggressive flaunting of the Poppy, the two most perceptive comments I’ve heard are these. First, surely this is outwith “the spirit of Remembrance”? And second, isn’t the Poppy supposed to be about commemoration, not fist-pumping celebration?

Lawwell must feel it just as badly. He, like Bain, comes under pressure from a militant hardcore. Celtic like to portray themselves as cleaner than Rangers — with some justification, I think — but the cretinous IRA chanting from the Celtic support at Tynecastle last Wednesday night confirmed again Celtic’s problem.

Lawwell’s own policy in regard to the Poppy is also a mess. The club celebrates its rich and dissenting Irish instincts, yet at the same time harangues those who are Poppy dissenters. These are very confusing signals. Celtic’s heritage is a mix of Irish and Scots and the club to an extent remain L’Etranger of the Scottish game. Well, if that’s what you are, and that is what you celebrate, you don’t go chasing after Poppy dissenters with dogs and torches.

The irony is that, amid all this, there will be a vast and consensual group of both Rangers and Celtic fans who will simply wear the Poppy, remember its significance, think with gratitude about those who have fallen in war, and then put the little flower away until next year.

This is how it should be, surely? No jingoism, no militarism, no point-scoring, no Old Firm one-upmanship on the subject, no wretched booing of the Remembrance Sunday silence. This all amounts to one of the most offensive charades I have seen in years in Scottish football.

I’ll be pleased when we can all get back to talking about the football."

The wee cretin Britney

Not sure why he uses "old firm" but it's a blatant attempt to try and deflect from the fact that he leaked Walter's off-the-record briefing last week.

Interesting that he finds it offensive.

Will the club now have the balls to ban this nonentity?

sorry but did I miss this , what embarressing episode did he get up to again !!