What phil mcgobbler was allegedly told by Bain

Dhildo seems confident enough to name Rangers QC in his allegations, the club must comment.

Rangers' legal battle with HMRC took a serious turn for the worst in recent weeks. The case, which concerns the club's use of an Employee Benefits Trust (EBT) to pay players without paying PAYE or National Insurance contributions, puts Rangers FC's future on the line. In a startling gambit, Rangers' lawyer, Andrew Thornhill QC, has had his second approach to settle the case out of court rebuffed. In this most recent offer, it is understood that the Ibrox club offered an amount just under �£10m.

I believe it almost 100%. If I didn't, I wouldn't type it pete.

I never believed the Whyte deal would happen, just like the Ellis deal before that. I won't believe ANY deal to buy Rangers is real until it actually happens and it's officially signed and sealed.

I can only say that I hope you are right. I fear there is too much smoke without fire.

I believed this tax issue was apparently going to be settled in the courts? why would the tax man send out tax assessments on figures as yet unknown. Did not SDM declare he/MIH were guarantors for said possible tax liability?

I would imagine that Rangers FC made the payments to Rangers FC employees therefore the HMRC has an issue with Rangers and not with MIH.

I fear there is too much smoke without fire.

In all honesty, the only thing we should fear are our enemies because they're doing a pretty good job of fcuking us over right now!

Those enemies aren't confined to ST holders at the piggery either and we'd be naive to think otherwise. It transcends to the higher levels of power in the country and my own personal opinion is that's exactly why Reid was given the job at Celtic. I've said that quite a few times.

I'm not promoting that we fear them, but we should definitely fight them and back anyone willing to fight them.

Edited by Zappa
typo

In all honesty, the only thing we should fear are our enemies because they're doing a pretty good job of fcuking us over right now!

Those enemies aren't confined to ST holders and at the piggery either and we'd be naive to think otherwise. It transcends to the higher levels of power in the country and my own personal opinion is that's exactly why Reid was given the job at Celtic. I've said that quite a few times.

I'm not promoting that we fear them, but we should definitely fight them and back anyone willing to fight them.

Reid or any journalist did not put Rangers 70mill in the red. Nor did they think up ways for us to dodge paying taxes(If proven) That hole was dug by Rangers or Murray or other Rangers executives. We cannot blame everyone for the holes we dig for ourselves.

There are issue's where your scenario is correct but not on financial issue's.

"In a priggish or self-righteous society Cleon [a tabloid journalist] would occupy the same social status as a prostitute. His social contacts would extend only to clients, fellow professionals, moral welfare-workers, and the police. Indeed, in a society which was rational as well as priggish (if such a combination could occur) his status would be a good deal lower than hers. The intellectual virginity which he has sold is a dearer treasure than her physical virginity. He gives his patrons a baser pleasure than she. He infects them with the more dangerous diseases. Yet not one of us hesitates to eat with him, drink with him, joke with him, shake his hand, and, what is much worse, the very few of us refrain from reading what he writes....

"....Even when the rewards of dishonesty are strictly alternative to those of honesty some men will choose them. But Cleon finds he can have both. He can enjoy the sense of secret power and all the sweets of a perpetually gratified inferiority complex while at the same time having the entr�©e to honest society. From such conditions what can we expect but an increasing number of Cleons? And that must be our ruin. If we remain a democracy they render impossible the formation of any healthy public opinion. If the totalitarian threat is realised, they will be the cruellest and dirtiest tools of government." - CS Lewis, years ago

Edited by bmck

Reid or any journalist did not put Rangers 70mill in the red. Nor did they think up ways for us to dodge paying taxes(If proven)

I didn't say they did. We all know what put us into debt - overspending! Welcome to the widespread problem in top-flight football....

That hole was dug by Rangers or Murray or other Rangers executives. We cannot blame everyone for the holes we dig for ourselves.

There are issue's where your scenario is correct but not on financial issue's.

Maybe the accountants and lawyers could chime in because Rangers depend on them for issues like this and have paid them for their consultancy on the matter.

The failed social worker is simply using our worst fears to play games with a club and supporters he will do anything to cast negative light on.

The problem arises because Rangers are being less than clear with their fans over this tax 'query'.

I don't see how season ticket holders can be asked to spend another �£400+ in the next few months to renew their tickets when this case appears to be an obstacle in the club's future. To satisfy our concerns, the club should answer four simple questions:

1. Exactly how much money is the HMRC 'querying' about?

2. Have the club attempted to settle this case 'out of court' suggesting an acceptance of liability?

3. Do the club intend pursing MIH (and/or their accountants who recommended the EBT schemes) for recompense?

4. What is the deadline for concluding all the above?

The Rangers Supporters Assembly should be vocally calling for such clarity and would have the backing of all if they did. Not to appease blow-hards like PMG but to show our supporters that the club's future is not in danger because of multi-million pound 'queries'.

I will go against my own inclinations here and say that I think this is one occasion when Rangers should maintain a strict embargo on newsflow. I would like as much clarification as the next guy but I can well undertand why public statements could be very unhelpful to what must be a hugely complex investigation. remember, above all this is an HMRC play, not a Rangers one and it would be downright disrespectful if Rangers were to be seen to attempt manipulation of the situation by engaging in public debate .... whether that was their intention or not.

I'm fearful of the consequences if this goes wrong for us but my money would be on a largely benign outcome. HMRC is continually fishing and pushing at the boundaries of what the courts will sanction them to do, which is really the only way it can ever achieve working clarity in the face of increasingly opaque legislation. It doesn't necessarily mean that HMRC expect to win, it's just how they have to operate in circumstances where the legistation requires structuring by case law.

I certainly wouldn't give a moment's credence to anything McGobblegiver says or prints. That bastard is on a mission driven by pure bigotry and those who willing provide his platform (Radio Clyde, NOTW, etc) are doing so with their eyes open. His lies depend entirely on the 'no smoke without fire' attitude expressed elsewhere in this thread - don't give him the satisfaction.

It sounds to me that the HMRC is being either unfair or showing complete incompetence. Why did they not query these payments at the time or at least cast enough doubt on them for accountants to be wary of using them?

It sounds like a tax loop-hole to me, but while you can close the loop-hole, I don't see how you can make it a retrospective offence. It's like starting to charge VAT on Jaffa cakes and then doing you for not paying it for the last 20 years - but multiply that by a factor which means you lose your house.

Tax loop-holes need to be queried and resolved as soon as possible - it's not fair on anyone to think they are legally entitled to pay less tax, file the returns and then find out 20 years later it wasn't quite right, be charged the full amount plus 50% interest plus 75% penalty fee. It sounds like a joke.

There is a massive difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion and it's pretty obvious we were doing the former, and we're being punished due to customs being too stupid to cast light over it at the time.