:(

RANGERS will complete the signing of David Healy today - but face a fight to hold on to Maurice Edu.

Northern Ireland striker Healy, left, will join up at Ibrox on loan from Sunderland until the end of the season, but is unlikely to be involved in today's Co-op Cup semi-final with Motherwell at Hampden.

However, reports from England last night linked two clubs with last-gasp moves for Gers' American midfield powerhouse Edu.

A bid for the 24-year-old, who signed for �£2.6million back in August 2008, could test cash-strapped Rangers' resolve to keep him.

It has been well documented that I grew up supporting Rangers

Healy, 31, will achieve a lifetime's dream when he joins Gers.

He was linked with a move last summer and said at the time: "If Rangers came knocking I would certainly not be saying no.

"It has been well documented that I grew up supporting Rangers."

Healy is willing to drop half his wages to sign for his boyhood heroes.

Walter Smith is looking to land him on loan to replace Kenny Miller.

The Black Cats have told the Ibrox club they must pick up all of the player's �£8,000-a-week wages for the deal to happen, but Gers are only willing to pay half that.Healy is Northern Ireland's all-time top scorer with 35 goals in 75 caps, including a record 13 in the 2008 Euro qualifiers.

Since then he has struggled to find the net but Smith, who has sold striker Rory Loy to Carlisle, hopes he'll turn the clock back and bag the goals to net the title.

I'm not Edu's biggest fan but he is coming along slowly. We can't afford to lose him too.

I wasnt Kevin Thomsons biggest fan but was disappointed he left only for the lack of central midfielders. If edu goes its 1 less again.

Ness and Hutton have impressed but cant carry the midfield on their own.

edu has never been a mainstay in the first 11 this season. Ness has been very impressive as has hutton to a lesser extent so i wont be worried if he goes.

But with our threadbare squad we can't afford to lose anymore players even if they aren't 1st team regulars.

ness and hutton wylde cole and co are first squad players and it may be a blessing in disguise for us if walter is forced to play them in the future. they will be first team regulars next season so the more game time the better.

ness and hutton wylde cole and co are first squad players and it may be a blessing in disguise for us if walter is forced to play them in the future. they will be first team regulars next season so the more game time the better.

I think we have a core of players comparable with Manure's crop of Beckham and Scholes if we persevere with them. We just need to have experience in the right places to complement them. I'd far rather we kept our youngsters than made dodgy loan and transfer signings. Short-termism is what I don't want to see.