Celtic fan jailed for racist jibe at El Hadji Diouf

A Celtic fan who made monkey gestures towards Rangers player El Hadji Diouf during an Old Firm game has been jailed for three months.

Sean Smith, 19, from Spittal, South Lanarkshire, taunted the West African striker as he took a corner kick at Celtic Park on 20 February.

He admitted committing a racially aggravated breach of the peace after being reported by fellow Celtic fans.

Smith was also banned from attending football matches for five years.

Sentencing him at Glasgow Sheriff Court, Sheriff Lindsay Wood told Smith he had pleaded guilty to "despicable racist behaviour".

"You thought you were making a fool of the player but you were actually making a fool of yourself.

Continue reading the main story

ââ?¬Å?Start Quote

I can see no alternative to a custodial sentence to mark the court's disapproval of such behaviour�

End Quote Sheriff Lindsay Wood

"You have brought shame on the club you support and on Scottish football generally."

Sheriff Wood noted that Smith had been drinking before the game, but said this was "no way to go to a football match and appreciate it".

He added: "I have to look at these matters in the context of an Old Firm match where tensions are running high and I can see no alternative to a custodial sentence to mark the court's disapproval of such behaviour."

Defence lawyer Raymond McIlwham told the court that his client has received death threats as a result of what he did.

He also added that Diouf has a bad relationship with Celtic fans.

Mr McIlwham said: "The relationship between the player involved and the Celtic fans has been a difficult one.

"That in no way excuses Mr Smith's actions but it's conceivable that another player may not have roused that level of passion in a supporter."

The lawyer added that his client is ashamed and now "deeply regrets" what he did.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-13361478

Certainly a sentence that mat deter people from making similar gestures.

Will suspect next sectarian BOP case may receive similar time in the pokey. Careful folks!

Certainly a sentence that mat deter people from making similar gestures.

Will suspect next sectarian BOP case may receive similar time in the pokey. Careful folks!

A colleague of mine who worked at the Scottish Cup replay match at Parkhead lifted a supporter (I won't say what team the accused supported) for a Sectarian BOP. He was held custody overnight, appeared at GSC the next day and pled guilty. My colleague stuck in the report to the fiscal that he felt a heavy fine would suffice as it was the accuseds 1st conviction.

He was given a �£1000 and a years banning order from every sporting ground in the UK.

Put that in yer pipe and smoke it! :D

Disagree totally with prison sentence.

A formal apology and some kind of appropriate community service surely would have sufficed. (cleaning the ibrox lavvies before, during and after the next home game against celtic perhaps)

Can't believe the defence lawyer trotted out the death threats garbage looking for sympathy then described his client's actions as 'that level of passion'. That lawyer should be ashamed of himself, but no doubt he actually believes that crap.

Guest Dutchy
Interesting, it was other tims who shopped him in...

I've also noted there's been a lot of septic fans saying that they're disgusted hearing all the IRA songs of support sung by his fellow fans at Killie on Sunday.

Maybe things will begin to change for the better, but I wouldn't put money on it.

At least Lord Reid has become somewhat silent in recent months, leaving lemon to pick up all the flack. I'm still unsure if this bam lemon suits septics agenda so they'll keep him at the end of the season, or they genuinely consider him to be a loose cannon?