Sasa signs new one year deal

I think we all do but we still have to be fiscally astute and Papac, for his standard will be cheaper than a replacement - and someone much better is still out of our price range, despite the takeover.

He has been a decent and loyal servant, but he's played like his pricetag - a �£500k player.

If we're really going to bring in some new players, LB is a position we could use some quality in.

PS We may have a war chest but although it sounds a lot, these days it's still incredibly modest and we have to be careful with it. I'd rather we prioritised the spending for positions that we really need, compared to one that's relatively ok. Ie needs over wants.

Dont agree , Danny , he has been better than average and this is probably the last position we needed strenghthened , midfield and center half positions need attended to pronto , as well as the out of contract players .

Remember we will be making a profit this year as well , plus Charle Adam's sell on fee ....Just get into the C/L and thats next year sorted as well

Ally McCoist today secured the first signing of his new era – when Sasa Papac agreed a one-year deal to stay at Rangers.

The 31-year-old Bosnian left-back, who arrived in 2006 from Austria Vienna for �£650,000, had been tipped to move on after failing to agree new terms despite months of talks.

But Papac – who made his 200th appearance for Gers in the title clincher at Killie last weekend – finalised a new contract this morning for another season which is a huge boost for McCoist as he looks to get his numbers boosted for his first season in charge.

His plan includes bringing in up to eight new signings to bolster the champions’ threadbare squad – and retaining as many of his three-in-a-row heroes as possible.

McCoist was delighted the Gers managed to give Walter Smith the perfect send-off by winning the SPL title for the third season running on Sunday.

But the Light Blues legend will not allow himself to bask in the glory of that momentous triumph for long, and is already working hard to ensure his first season in charge is a successful one.

Speaking from Idaho, where he is taking part in a White Water Rafting Charity Challenge, he revealed that tying up existing players on new contracts is high on his list of priorities.

As it stands right now, he only has 17 players under contract for next season – four of them Murray Park graduates Jamie Ness, Gregg Wylde, John Fleck and Kyle Hutton. David Weir and David Healy’s current deals expire this month.

Key first-team players like Madjid Bougherra, Steven Davis and Steven Whittaker have just one year left on their contracts, while goalkeeper Allan McGregor has two years to go, but wants to agree a bumper new extension to 2016.

McCoist said: “I am sure there will be a few comings and goings at the club in the summer.

“But, hopefully, the scenes we enjoyed on Sunday will convince a few players to commit their futures to Rangers.

“We don’t want to lose anybody, we want them all to re-sign. Whether it is Allan McGregor, Madjid Bougherra, Steven Whittaker or whoever, we want them all to stay.

“We need to keep the lot of them, we can’t afford to lose them because the squad is so small.

“We want to add to our squad rather than lose players – in fact, it’s no secret we MUST add to our squad.”

McCoist has already made moves to get Kyle Bartley back on loan from Arsenal next term, with the 19-year-old stopper admitting he’d love to return if an agreement can be reached with the Gunners.

McCoist would like to also retain Vladimir Weiss on loan. But the Slovakian said today that his boss at Manchester City, Roberto Mancini, may want him to be farmed out to a stronger league than the SPL for another season before he returns to fight for a slot at Eastlands.

Ricky Foster will return to Aberdeen and, while El-Hadji Diouf has also intimated a desire to stay on a permanent basis, McCoist is unlikely to make a quick call on that one as he looks at other targets.

His new scouting team, headed up by former team-mates Neil Murray and John Brown, have been scouring England, Europe and beyond for new faces.

And McCoist revealed that he has already sat down with Craig Whyte to establish what his spending power will be, with a �£10million kitty believed to be pledged by the new owner.

“What I can say is that I’ve had two meetings with Mr Whyte and he is as committed to what we have to do as I am, which is great,” McCoist explained.

“If we can all work as a team – which is our aim – then we hope to build on where we are right now.

“The planning is underway, and we have been working on things in terms of looking at players.

“We are away white water rafting to Idaho to raise money for charity, but when we come back we will be straight into it.

“The lads have got one or two holidays booked, but I don’t have anything booked myself although I may head over to Portugal.

“But I won’t be far away – I know what we have to do, and we will do it.”

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/sasa-papac-pens-contract-extension-to-become-ally-mccoist-s-first-recruit-1.1101919

I like Sasa, he's a bit of an unsung hero for me. Ok he's made a few mistakes but he's been a good consistent player, never complains and definitely worth another year. He even chips in with goals now and again :)

I'm unclear on this; is McCoist our manager now?

I am surmising but I think so.

WS came out with his "Celtic made things shambolic this year" statement after the season ended for a reason IMO. That reason was that he wouldnt be hauled in front of a disciplinary committiee.

I think AM is now the manager, but as I say I am guessing !

Glad Sasa has signed new deal

but strongly believe we will land A left back alot of talk about Lee Wallace just now and have heard Paul Dixon from Utd being mentioned for left back position have heard that we are interested in Julien Faubert also but tbh haven't been overly impressed with him whilst he's been at West Ham