Most on here are for the 4-4-2 but IMO this only works with the right players. If you have 2 wingers in a 4-4-2 then you are going to get exposed out wide or if the central players cover the wide positions it will leave gaps in the middle.

agreed, 442 only works in scotland with four actual midfield players.

I think a solid 4-3-3 would suit us best right now. It would enable us to play 2 strikers or 2 wingers if width was required whilst shoring up the spine of the team with 3 genuine midfield players.

I could be persuaded with a 4-3-3 especially with 3 genuine midfielders. Fergie, Hemdani and Clement/Rae could be good then ideally, Prso, Boyd and Burke up front with Sionko, Martin, Buffel, Novo and Sebo as subs and back up.

It immediately reduces our injury crisis and gives the team a far more robust look about it with a stronger spine.

For Livorno, with Clement, Sionko, Burke and Martin injured, Buffel, Adam and Sebo playing poorly, Papac cup tied and Letizi and Bardsley first choices that would look like to me like:

........................Letizi......................

Bardsley...Svensson...Rodriguez...Smith

.......Ferguson...Hemdani...Rae............

..............Novo...Boyd...Prso..............

Same team as I mentioned before but a slightly flattened formation.

At the moment though, whether its due to injury or form or whatever, a lot of the players in the midfield and front areas aren't getting a few games in a row to settle in to the team and the formation. Consistency is needed too, rotating some players is fine once the team has settled down, but at the moment I have no idea how PLG expects to get the best out of someone like Sebo who has hardly played yet.

Perhaps that's why he's playing him instead of Boyd.

To be honest I think Le Guen is probably building for the future which is why he's making strange decisions to us, because he doesn't seem to realise, he has to build for the future while getting the results right now at a club like Rangers.

At Ibrox you can't afford to tinker and demoralise in-form players when you are lagging well behind Celtic.

Le Guen has a very hard job, I think he would do well not to go round making it harder. It is far easier to be Rangers manager when the fans are generally on your side instead of making them your enemy. Just ask Eck.

It's crap that we should even be debating what formation we should be playing against the mighty Livorno.

Is this what it's come to ?

Our level of expectation has plummeted somewhat, has it not.

Le Guen will do what he always does. Put names in his chapeau, ( leaving out the one or two he doesn't like ) and draw them out shortly before kick-off,

It's crap that we should even be debating what formation we should be playing against the mighty Livorno.

Is this what it's come to ?

Our level of expectation has plummeted somewhat, has it not.

We're always debating the formation whether we're doing well or badly, and whether we're playing Barcelona or Albion Rovers.

If we had a team with players like Gough, Laudrup, De Boer, Numan, Van Bronkhurst, Goram and McCoist and winning every game in style, I'd still be wary of an away game against an Italian team who are three points from the top of Serie A.