Gers make Goodwillie approach

Of course, Goodwillie could also hand in a transfer request ... but I can't see it, since that would be in direct contrast to him signing an extension in January. That was an act I could hardy understand. Only idea was that he wanted to get the club who made him big a greater return for his obvious departure.

Should Eck come up with the suggested 9m plus Cuellar for McGregor (don't see that coming, but one never knows), there would be enough money about. We actually spent 4m for a Duncan Ferguson who was, IMHO, not worth that much (and at a time when 4m were a LOT of money). Him playing in the Europa League would be a travesty though.

On one hand it could be used to infer the price was too expensive because we're skint. On the other it could actually just mean that we think he's over-priced.

Very good point. By all accounts �£2m is a lot of money for Goodwillie when you consider that this past season is his only really successful one as a striker in the SPL. I'd maybe be happy for us to pay between �£1m & �£1.5m, but �£2m seems like a lot to me.

In all honesty I don't see why we should spend that sort of money on Goodwillie when we have a proven U19 talent in Hemmings in the 1st team squad now. I'd much rather that we strengthen the midfield (central and wingers) as well as bolster the defense. That's just me though. I know a lot of fans want us to sign Goodwillie, but I'm not that fussed, especially for �£2m.

So, late last night Skysports released news saying it 'understands Rangers have made a formal approach for Dundee Utd striker David Goodwillie', then this afternoon they're saying there's been no bid for the player and that 'Peter Houston has suggested striker David Goodwillie is too expensive for Rangers'.

We'll that blows any misguided ideas about �£10m or �£12m warchests firmly out of the water then.... Not that I ever believed that nonsense in the first place right enough.

Don't see how a speculative comment from a rival manager 'proves' we don't have a fair chunk of cash. We have a rebuild to do and no one knows how much money we have for that. We don't know that we're skint for signings and we don't know we have a massive amount.

Put simply, the only way of knowing is by the hard signings we make, and only time will tell.

One small clue we do have is the report that we've put in a formal �£2.5M bid for Cuellar. If that is true, then Houston's comments that Goodwillie is too expensive for us means we don't agree with the price. But we can afford it.

I know a lot of fans want us to sign Goodwillie, but I'm not that fussed, especially for �£2m.

I'd take him for a million, but while I would maybe accept he may be worth more, he's not a player I feel should be a priority for that price. Cuellar, yes. Goodwillie, no.

I don't see how Houston or any other SPL manager would know how much we've got to spend.[/quote

Perhaps he's making this assumption because we made an enquiry rather than an actual bid?? In any case, no manager want's to lose his best players so it's surely a tactic on Houstons part.

1.2 Million tops for Goodwillie.

Would he actually improve our current team? He would add to the squad but would be he a first XI player?

Id rather give Healy a run than over spend on Goodwillie. Or search the Championship for a decent striker. Someone like Whittingham from Cardiff who scored plenty in that league last year can play a similar role to Goodwillie.