Whittaker signs new 5 year deal - Official

"He'll see out the final year of his contract and we'll talk to other teams in January if Rangers keep rejecting offers," Whittaker's agent said.

"It's up to Rangers if they want to miss out on a transfer fee."

Maybe I'm the only one here who feels this way, but Whittaker is coming across like a total money grabbing prick and his agents words almost sound utterly hostile to the club.

He's not exactly great, and I've heard we offered to triple his wages to keep him, but he's rejected that.

From here on in Whittaker is in my 'strong dislike' list, and I am now looking forward to getting rid.

Rangers, accept a few quid less to get this mercenary arsehole off our books.

Guest Dutchy

Given what's been said about him and what he's demanding, is he deamnding anything, other than to go, I say he can piss off if that's his attitude.

It's funny when something's been said in the papers about a player people like "it's paper talk and sceptical at best".

I think whittaker's a decent player who's versatile. If the statement is true like many before him 'footballs a job' for these guys. I can't honestly blame him if he's wanting more money. You'd do the same at your job, if they're offering new contracts out.

Guest Dutchy
It's funny when something's been said in the papers about a player people like "it's paper talk and sceptical at best".

I think whittaker's a decent player who's versatile. If the statement is true like many before him 'footballs a job' for these guys. I can't honestly blame him if he's wanting more money. You'd do the same at your job, if they're offering new contracts out.

He's been offered more money and I've heard it reported on the news as what his agent has said, as well as others on this site saying so from other sources. I like and want Whittaker to stay also, but it looks, and sounds as if he wants to go. If it is hte case, I say let him get on with it and leave us to go our way also.

It's notas if he's not wanted, by all reports of what I've heard he's been offered.

Guest scotranger
Really shocked that he's knocked back big wages - his arrogance is not backed up by ability despite a decent season.

He can leave. I did wonder why the papers this morning headlined with a �£2M tag for Whittaker.

Have read the arrogant comments from Whitty's agent Ken Anderson who thinks that a rise in wages of �£700,000 per year for five years is an underevaluation of his clients worth it has to be said that Whitty has shown contempt for club and fans alike. IMO we should take the money, get rid of this guy and replace him with Broadfoot who is more than able.

We've apparently offered yet more - another deal is on the table.

For some reason Ally absolutely loves this guy and wants him to stay at pretty much all costs.

I can't even say In Ally We Trust yet because clearly he hasn't earned it.

Steven Whittaker is not worth this.

No, Steven Whittaker absolutely is NOT worth paying 20k a week for - how much is the offer for BTW ?

We could definitely get better than him for that kind of weekly wage.

Crazy stuff.

I see Whittaker as a poor mans Fernando Ricksen. They played in similar roles over the park.

Last season I cringed at half the stuff Whittaker done and would find it madness and poor management to make him one of the clubs top earners.

Broadfoot would be my pick at RB ahead of him when fit. Id even be happy selling Whittaker and signing Foster back.

He's a strange one though because for all his faults I still think he's one of the most skilful players we have who is very comfortable on the ball. Look at some of the goals he's scored and some of the individual moments of skill he's done. He can be a real joy to watch so its frustrating that he can be so inconsistent.

I do wonder if we'd benefit from a more traditional full back as part of a settled back four though.